MXF to AVI Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MXF to AVI Workflow

So, did the ole' search thingy and came back with nothin...

So, my workflow to AVI is as follows....

HPX500 => P2CMS via Duel => Export to external PW800 => Backed to Storage => Ingest via Log and Transfer to QT mov file => Save QT file as AVI

Anyone know of a third party app that will offload to AVI besides the $300 HD File Converter Pro? Focus Enhancements
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Major Player

ok if you are looking for mov, i'm assuming you are working with FC Pro? I thought the NLE's such as premiere/FC Pro could easily work with the p2files natively, as in, straight up from the card without any need for wrappers or transcoding, etc.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, i should have been more clear as to what i wanted out of the question. I have to transfer files to a clients machine, so because I am working in FCP and he is working on PP 1.5 i need to get them to a workable format so that he can import them to his machine.
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Nickell View Post
Well, i should have been more clear as to what i wanted out of the question. I have to transfer files to a clients machine, so because I am working in FCP and he is working on PP 1.5 i need to get them to a workable format so that he can import them to his machine.
Why not just send them the original camera folders? Premiere takes them right in as MXF and is all set. There's not much reason for you to send them converted AVIs or whatever- it's extra work and a generation loss.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Derek,

There are a few options for you.

Premiere Pro 1.5 won't take MXFs directly unless your client gets a program like DVFilm Raylight for Windows. Then you could give him the content folders + lastclip.txt file and he could edit directly in Premiere Pro. He can download a demo of it at DVFilm - Digital to Film Transfers, Tape to Film Tranfers

Or he can upgrade to the latest version of Premiere CS4 and edit MXFs natively.

Yet, another option is that you could export DVCPRO HD quicktimes and your client could use a program that reads DVCPro hd quicktimes to edit them though this process is almost as long as what you are originally doing minus the last AVI render. DVfilm has a program for that as well.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Andy Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Better than Halle Berry

Oh wow- I didn't read that. Premiere Pro 1.5?! That's like 4 years old or more now- an eternity in computerland. Get the guy to upgrade for goodness sake and save yourself a lot of back and forth heartache.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Oh wow- I didn't read that. Premiere Pro 1.5?! That's like 4 years old or more now- an eternity in computerland. Get the guy to upgrade for goodness sake and save yourself a lot of back and forth heartache.

Noah

Yeah when he told me that he had 1.5 i kinda choked a little. I hadnt run in PP since PP2, and that was about 2.5 years ago....I knew i was going to run into problems. I told him that if he wanted to keep up with the edit side of the house than he needed to upgrade severely. To which he responded, i don't edit enough to justify it. So, i left it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Olson View Post
Hey Derek,

There are a few options for you.

Premiere Pro 1.5 won't take MXFs directly unless your client gets a program like DVFilm Raylight for Windows......Hope this helps.

Andy
Thanks for the link. Ill send it to him. I know he wont buy it, but might use the demo.
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders