View Full Version : Use a Sony PCM-D1 or a PCM-D50 as a camera microphone..?

Peer Landa
December 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry if I sound a bit incoherent here -- I'm thinking as I'm typing; I wonder if it's possible to use a Sony PCM-D1 (or a PCM-D50) as a regular stereo microphone -- i.e., is there an output that I can feed directly into my XL2? I was thinking of upgrading my stereo onboard microphone, but it would be nice to have something that can also be used as a stand alone recorder and not just only as a microphone.

-- peer

Jimmy Tuffrey
December 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM
In record pause or record the mic's are present on the out puts so yes.

Peer Landa
December 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
In record pause or record the mic's are present on the out puts so yes.

Thanks for a very quick reply. So now I wonder if there's a balanced output, and also if you perhaps know if those Sony PCM's would be better microphones than the stock Canon XL2..?

-- peer

Rick Reineke
December 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I'm not familier with either Sony PCM recorders, but I would assume they would NOT have a balanced out. Most likely a 3.5 mini..HP/Line or at best RCAs. Possibly a S/PDIF .
I would look into quality of the analog output, as these recorders are primarily designed for acquisition and digital transfer.

Bill Koehler
December 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
There is NO balanced output on the PCM-D50.
I can't speak for the PCM-D1.

Looking at mine as I write this, all the audio in/out connectors are 3.5 mm stereo.
They also support optical out. Whether that is live while recording/monitoring I
don't know. But that isn't something you can easily connect directly into your camcorder.

Jimmy Tuffrey
December 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
one 3.5 mm unbalanced stereo mini jack has very good line output and the other mini jack has good headphone feed with plenty of gain and is also very good.
My h/phone feed has been employed as an extra output for my bag set up and sorted the BBC news out. Sounded a lot better than what their dir/producer was getting. This was via my line in though and not with the built in mic's.

mini jack to two rca's, split left/right, would sound great. Tip to left, ring to right and shield to shaft.

Obviously having the thing mounted on the camera will mean any knocks are heard only too well though. Also the wind muff that comes as an extra is not much use outside.

I would stick with the cannon mic personally as it does not seem worth it for the trade off involved. i.e. no shock mount and the awkwardness of mounting it etc... The stock mic is pretty good I think anyway and for ambiance record wildtrack on the Sony.

Rick Reineke
December 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Peer,
Now that we know more, I would go with Jimmy's advise.
Have a happy '09. Cheers