Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Rob Lohman
April 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
I think Premiere has some basic color correction tools (I haven't
looked at these yet). After Effects (especially the production
bundle version) has some very good color correction tools
available to do all sort of things. Try out a demo version of the
product! Always best to try and get the result (as close as
possible) your looking for whilst filming ofcourse.

Good luck!

Rob Lohman
April 8th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Yes you can. Export timeline -> Audio.

mdreyes23
April 8th, 2002, 09:58 AM
thanks. missed that one.

mdreyes23
April 8th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Thanks. I do have a full copy of after effects 5.5 production bundle but haven't tried it extensively yet.

Actually, i haven't even tried to import premiere footage but I'll probably be able to figure that out. I just haven't gotten around to that yet. I'll post more questions if I have trouble.

Adrian Douglas
April 8th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's for exactly the reason you need it. Thanks for that Rob.

Gerald Godbout
April 8th, 2002, 06:57 PM
When I capture video through my XL1s (PAL) and Panasonic Mini DV Player (NTSC) into Premiere. I get these Horizontal Lines that only get worse after I Render my work. The Lines appear mostly in Action Sequence or Bright Areas. Now I capture the same footage through DAZZLE 2 and it looks fine. Can Anyone help me???
I'm using a SONY VAIO which is running on WINDOWS 2000. I took off Windows XP that came with the computer. Didn't like it much...

Rob Lohman
April 9th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Importing a Premiere project is very easy. Just open the project
in AE. It will automatically recognize it as a Premiere file and load
it correctly. The only thing it will not do is make transitions and
fades for you. There will be filters created for these, but they do
not seem to do anything at all.

Rob Lohman
April 9th, 2002, 02:03 AM
I am suspecting that you are referring to interlacing lines. Does
this primarely happen when you either movie the camera or
something else is moving around? If so, you should only see this
on your PC and not on a TV. This is perfectly normal. If you are
going for a web/PC release instead of a TV you need to either
de-interlace your movie or lower your resolution. The last one
will probably be the best since you probably want to do that
anyways for a PC or WEB delivery. If you are going to release
to TV or DVD you can stay in the interlaced domain if you want.

Bill Ravens
April 9th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Rob....

what you need is a product called Video Finesse available from Synthetic Aperture. This is a software based proc amp, vector analyzer and waveform monitor. It will allow you to do some amazing things to adjust your color, including black pedestal, knee and gamma. Video Finesse is a plug-in for Premier.

Rob Lohman
April 9th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Thanks Bill! I will check it out.

James Rulison
April 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM
So here I am just sitting here trying to figure out the best way to edit my video clips. Let me give you the break down of what I have.

Camera: Canon XL1s (For shooting only)
Camera: JVC Cybercam (For loading into the PC)
System: P4 1.5 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB 7200 Ultra 133 HD, 32 MB Geforce2 Twin Head, Plextor CD-RW, Creative DVD Drive, Pinnacle DV200 FW Card, and a Sound Blaster Live 5.1.
Operating System: Windows XP
NLE: Premiere 6.00 - 6.02.

When running on a Windows 2000, P III 600 I had no problems I moved to the faster rig and the newer OS problems. I did do some problem free editing a week ago. The only thing I can figure out that I have changed is I added the DV200 drivers. I have uninstalled the drivers and I still have the problems that several people have noted before and what Adobe called a XL1 problem.

So if that is true why was able to edit fine before and now Jagged Pictures Presents?

I thought Mini DV was Mini DV. If I shoot in a Canon XL1s are my shots going to suffer because I am using a JVC Cyber Cam to dump them into the computer? If I get a JVC Dual Deck (Mini DV, SVHS) are my shots going to look worse? Will the computer be able to read the tape?

Your thoughts?

Best regards,
James Rulison

Adrian Douglas
April 9th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Mate, I'd go back to Win2000. The Pinnacle drivers for XP are new, so is XP. Go back to Win2000, give it about 6 months, then try XPagain with service packs, updated drivers etc.

It most likely isn't an XL1 with Premiere problem

James Rulison
April 9th, 2002, 11:56 AM
But see here is the problem, I really think it's a Pinnacle issue. If I use the Pinnacle drivers and upgrade Premiere at all 6.01 or 6.02 (Windows 2000 or XP) suddenly I have to render the entire clip without adding anything to the clip just the clip. If I press preview it wants to render every frame.

It wasn't doing this a week ago when I was in a rush to edit a colorguard clip for a local highschool.

I think I am going to have to start over from scratch again unless I can figure out away to get the Pinnacle drivers out. I tried uninstalling them and then uninstalling Premiere, but after I re-installed premiere I saw the Pinnacle logo come back.

Best,
James

Adrian Douglas
April 10th, 2002, 01:38 AM
I've had a DV500 for the past couple of years and the drivers are a never ending source of problems.

Version 1 drivers sucked, 1.1 was a little better, 1.2 worked well with Prem 5.1c, 2.0 works well with 5.1c(what I am using now), 3.0 didn't work with 6.0 and my old motherboard. I've since replaced the motherboard but my Prem 6.0 disk was damaged when my PC came from Australia so I haven't tried that combo.

The trick with Pinnace drivers is to find a combo that works for you and stick with that. If I was you I'd consider upgrading your capture card in the near future as the DV200 is getting old and I can't see Pinnacle supporting it much longer.

If you want to stay with PC, I'd go with something from Canopus and start from scratch. Myself, I'm jumping the fence and going for a Mac/FCP as I think FCP is going to become the DV defacto editing standard, but I'll keep the DV500 system going as a backup.

Gerald Godbout
April 10th, 2002, 08:11 PM
It Works, you were right, THANKS for you help.....

Ed Smith
April 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

Situation -
I have edited some footage on my computer at home and am looking at transferring this to another computer at college to finish the editing off.

My question is this -
If I export an EDL from my computer, with all the time codes etc how then will I transfer this on to the computer at college so I can take the footage from the tapes again, and start to edit from where I left off at home?

What EDL would be better?

Is this possible?

What do I need to do?

Do you understand what I mean?

All help is appreciated,

Ed Smith

Chris Hurd
April 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM
What's at the other end, Ed? Do you have any details about the computer at the college and what sort of NLE system is on it?

Ed Smith
April 18th, 2002, 10:28 AM
I forgot to mention the most vital part, Doh!!!

Again its Adobe Premiere 6, but on a Matrox RT2500 system.
Basically I'm looking at transfering what I have done at home to finish it of at college.
A basic Premiere to Premiere transfer, but with out my taking my whole system and transfering the files over a network.

Ed

Patrick_Bateman
April 18th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Okay, first of all, these are my computer specs:
Silicon Graphics 320 visual workstation, two HD's (10Gb and 40Gb, both 7200 rpm), Digital Origin MotoDV firewire card and Silicon Graphics 1600SW Flat Panel... and ohh, I have a Canon XL-1s.

I'd like to know what the ideal editing solution is, without costing too much. I'm not entirely happy with my current system, might be slow performance of HD's or something, at least it's not playing correctly on the computer.

And, what software does support Canon XL-1s as a deck, to capture from and output to? I've been fiddling with Adobe Premiere 6 but can't possibly get it to work. I use MotoDV to capture now, but the playback performance isn't acceptable.

Any ideas on those things?

Best regards!

Ken Tanaka
April 18th, 2002, 08:34 PM
What OS are you running on your SGI 320?

p.s. I have used an SGI 1600 lcd on my Dell workstation and have really like it. It's relatively small but crystal clear!

Patrick_Bateman
April 18th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Ohh yeah, forgot about the OS... I'm running Windows 2000

Ken Tanaka
April 18th, 2002, 08:50 PM
I moved your post over to this section because I think you'll get more input over here.

Edward Troxel
April 19th, 2002, 08:56 AM
The Digital Origin Lynx card was not designed to be used with Premiere 6. You will probably have better luck switching to a standard OHCI card which will work directly with Premiere 6. If you have enough money, you could upgrade to a card with some real-time features designed to work with Premiere 6.

Patrick_Bateman
April 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input Edward.

What is really limiting my upgradeability is that the SGI320 workstation has a 64-bit 3 volt PCI slot instead of the regular 32-bit 5 volt. So, the question is, are there any cards I could upgrade to? Or am I doomed to build/buy another system?

Lorinda Norton
April 22nd, 2002, 01:21 AM
I went to the link and you're right--it is very helpful. Unfortunately, it, and many other sources we've tried, didn't fully address the problem we're having with Premiere 6.

To start, we're running Premiere on two different PCs: Win2K, Aurora Gigabyte 7DX mb, Athlon 1.2 gHz, G-Force 2 & Win98lite, DFI AD70-SR, Athlon 1800(?), don't know sound card. We recently tried the Pinnacle Pro-ONE but pulled it for now because these projects were done in Premiere only.

We've got two projects on different hard drives that are having pretty much the same problem: when we try to render the whole project, or even add clips to the shorter of the two projects, we get the "disk full" error message. We tried trimming the files on one, moving to 60 gig drives, splitting up the sample files from the rest of the project (onto two drives).

Other things we've tried, based on tips from Adobe, Pinnacle, and other sites:

-making sure audio compression is set at uncompressed
-making sure our sound card and other drivers are current
-using Virtual Dub
-checking out the video CODEC, making sure there was no cropping in the export setting

I've probably left out something; we've tried so many different things!

Yes, the files are large because we captured over three hours worth, then edited the one project to 1 1/2 hours, but when we get the error message on that one and check it out, we've still got over 11gigs free on the hard drive.

One Premiere guy went so far as to say they need to fix the program because it gives out the "disk full" error message when it doesn't know what else to say, but that's as far as he went. We're getting a little frustrated over here--anyone got some advice we can use?? Do I need to buy an 80 or 120 gig hdd?

urbanachiever
April 22nd, 2002, 03:12 AM
its a basic thing which i have overlooked on occasion,

is your temp (scratch) disk full? or is the disk on which your win2k swap file is full?

hope this helps,

igor'

Adrian Douglas
April 22nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
Try partitioning your system drive and setting the partition as the swap file. Set the partition to 3x the amount of RAM you have, i.e. for 512MB RAM set your swap file partition to 1536MB.

I had similar problems ages ago and since doing this all has been well (touch wood).

This is not a sure fire fix, just a maybe, but buy the sounds of it, it's better than nothing.

Lorinda Norton
April 22nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Adrian,

As much as I appreciated "igor's" reply, my first thought was, "what's a swap file?" Ignorance is not bliss :-)

We'll try your suggestion and let you know.

Thanks, both of you, for the help!

Adrian Douglas
April 22nd, 2002, 10:21 AM
So I guess you found out what I was talking about.
If not, any computer shop should be able to set this up for you.

Just remember the golden rule.

BACK UP your important files before changing partitions.

urbanachiever
April 22nd, 2002, 01:06 PM
first, i appoligize for my spelling

now,

to check what hd your swap file (thats the file on the hd windows uses as a slower extesnion of your PC's primary memory (RAM))

1)right click on my computer
2)select properties
3)select advanced
4)select performance options

click on CHANGE button near Virtual Memory Section

Ok, now you see the size and location of the swap (or page) file

make sure the drive the swap file is on has free space, the more the better.

also, i believe, but don't remeber, that in premier you can set the following:

temp (scratch) or somesuch folder, and video/audio storage folder
make sure there is space on the HardDrive where those are set as well.

hope this clarifies things a bit,

igor'

Ed Smith
April 24th, 2002, 12:09 PM
In the end, I decided to export the generic EDL in Premiere, printed that out and then tried to work it out, but gave up on that because I was getting no where.

My next question is this:
As I understand it you can open the EDL in Premiere and then the program will take all the time code and every thing else, take it from the tape and then load it into the timeline.

Is this correct, if it were, how would you go about it?

Or is the EDL used for something different?

All the best,

Ed

mr.coven
April 30th, 2002, 07:49 PM
after capturing video from my xl-1s using the firewire port on my all-in-wonder 8500dv card i attempted to export the video to my vcr via anolog rca cables on the breakout box for the all-in-wonder. a preview file was created and then when it started to play maybe half of a frame of video went up of the screen then both my monitor and tv went black but the audio played fine. i've exported some other clips i've gotten off the netand they have worked but not th dv that i've gotten from my camera. i think that it my be the settings for the video but i don't know what to change. any help would be most appreciated. thanks ahead of time

Lorinda Norton
May 4th, 2002, 03:13 PM
This one comes from the folks still on training wheels:

We're trying to export movie from Premiere 6, MS AVI to burn to DVD using Sonic MyDVD. We tried an eight minute clip and it worked just fine, but let us try the whole 1 1/2 hours and it gets to a certain point (same point both times--near the end) and quits. No error message, just quits.

What, and how many things, are we doing wrong? And is there a way to export from Premiere in MPeg2?

We hope to "move up" soon but figure if we can't get this much right...

Lorinda Norton
May 4th, 2002, 07:42 PM
I just read this somewhere else: From Premiere - Movie > export > settings > Mpeg2.

That option isn't available on ours--it must be hiding?

Bill Ravens
May 5th, 2002, 06:33 AM
My standard procedure for MPEG2 is to output to a standard AVI(using the Mainconcept codec), then transcode to DVD(MPEG2) thru TMPGEnc. Once I have the file transcoded, I'll burn to DVD with NERO. It always works, always plays on a APEX set top player.

slas_swe
May 5th, 2002, 06:46 AM
My guess is that you are hitting the 4 Gb file limit with FAT32.
The solution would be to use NTFS.

Lorinda Norton
May 5th, 2002, 12:00 PM
I was just reading about TMPGEnc on the Canopus forum yesterday; brand new to me and will require more investigation. Once we wrap our brains around all that you said, Bill, we'll see what we can do. Thank you.

As for the NTFS, I think we are using it, but will make sure. Thanks for the input.

Rob Lohman
May 6th, 2002, 01:07 AM
The question is also wether Premiere is writing AVI 2.0 files
(those that can be larger than 4 GB)... Another option might
be to use TMPGEnc Premiere plugin to encode directly to
mpeg2. I myself do it anotherway around. There are very
powerful tools available to frameserve (serve a AVI file to
an application without actually writing the whole file, just
a placeholder) from applications like VirtualDUB or Avisynth
into programs like TMPGEnc or CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder).

These tools require knowledge and time to learn though. But
if you've mastered these your pipeline (and disc space) can
be much faster/lesser. They are, however, not for the faint
of heart.

Lorinda Norton
May 6th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Hi Rob,

Right now, that is so far over my head I can't even see it!

After everything I've read and all the trouble we've had with Premiere, we're about ready to try Vegas Video 3. You know what they say, "If you can't run with the big dogs, better stay on the porch." I think we "pups" need to grow a little, and VV sounds like a good way to cut our teeth. It's got MPeg2 encoder, which sounds good if we're trying to burn our own DVDs (?)

My biggest worry w/VV is the chromakeying aspect, but emailed Charlie White at Digital Media Net and was told that DV keying is *iffy* anyway (I've read all about the 4:1:1 problem and seen the effect first-hand). I'd be pretty upset if I went to the trouble and expense of something like DVStorm, AE Production Bundle w/matte choker, spill suppressor, etc. and STILL got ugly keying! With VV if we're not happy at least I can say it didn't cost much. Guess it'll make us try even harder on the lighting.

With all the frustrations and failures we've had trying to edit and finish, at least I can say I've done one thing right--our XL1s's are great!!!

Thanks for the insight and for reading along with my ramblings. Maybe your post will help someone who's farther along in Premiere than I am!

Lorinda

Bill Ravens
May 6th, 2002, 11:10 AM
frameserving is a great thing once you've got each intermediate step down. personally, I like taking each step one at a time so I can check each intermediate result for quality.

there's also some great forums around for things like TMPGENc and VirtualDub. One good one is www.vcdhelper.com.

good luck.

Rob Lohman
May 7th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Lorinda,

I can imagine that it must overwhelm you. I had that too at
first. It is very powerfull stuff though. I can do allmost anything
I want. As for matting, the better tools get better results,
especially with non-perfect footage. I think DV can be used
for matting (although I haven't tried yet). It mostly depends
on lighting. As for money, ofcourse it is better to try before
you buy and/or invest into a cheaper product. I highly doubt
that the VV mpeg2 encoder is very good. A high quality mpeg2
encoder can cost quite much because it still is a programming
"art" to make a good one. But try the VV demo before you
buy and see if you like the mpeg2 encoding.

If you want to know more about mpeg2 encoding or anything
else you know where to find me (here).

Ed Smith
May 7th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Mentioned a while back was this strange phenomenon of 'jerky' footage, even though there were no dropped frames, and no possible explanation.

After getting to know about fields (Upper fields/ lower fields/ No fields) in my post headed 'Fields (not the ones in the country)!!!' on the DV message board, Plus playing around a little bit with Premiere 6, I came across this solution:

Captured footage with normal movie mode needs to be de-interlaced to 'No fields', in order for the footage not to jerk when the camera has the slightest of moves on play back via fire wire.

To do this set the rendering settings to 'No fields' and then right click the footage go up to video options, then field settings and select de-interlace. WARNING: footage needs to be rendered!!!

This does not matter if you have captured in Movie Mode.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

Brad Simmons
May 9th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Is there any way to take real video and convert it to mpeg, or avi format? Or can you take real video into Adobe premiere?

Trent Thomas
May 9th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Ok, this is probably a really stupid question one way or another, but is there a way to capture lower quality footage to Premeire, make all your edits, and then recapture at a higher quality in order to save disk space? The reason I ask is because I learned NLE on Avid and just recently picked up Premeire but cant figure out if you can or not. Again, I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I appreciate the help.

Chris Hurd
May 9th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Trent, it's not a stupid question at all. But let me ask you this: instead of jumping through hoops like this for multiple capture passes, why not just add a drive or two to your system?

DV is compressed at a 5:1 ratio and requires about 13gb of disk space per hour of material. You can get 40gb drives for *dirt cheap* these days, and they'll hold three hours apiece. Or, get a pair of 80gb drives for six hours of DV each. I think those are dirt-cheap also. Hope this helps,

Rob Lohman
May 13th, 2002, 02:34 AM
This is very difficult or even impossible to do. Why? Well, this has
to do (primarely) with content control. Real (and also Quicktime
and Windows media) do not want you to:

a) download those files (most of the time)
b) convert them to another format.

So software for this is not available (at least not in the
commercial industry, it might be in the hack world though).

So basically you cannot convert it (to answer your question, no,
you cannot load it into Premiere)

Rob Lohman
May 13th, 2002, 02:38 AM
I agree with Chris here. This approach has more advantages:

- Less wear and tear on your drives heads
- Consumer timecode can sometimes fail (if you've not striped
your tape or have other timecode gaps your second pass will
fail!!!)
- Extra backup of your source (both on tape and harddisk now)
- When you've cut your footage your immediately done

The resolution of full PAL/NTSC isn't that large either, and those
files are very manageable on a decent system....

genod444
May 22nd, 2002, 10:42 PM
HEy,
I just ordered the Gateway 700xl with these specs:

2.53 gigahertz with a new faster bus speed
1.2 gig rdram
120 gig hard drive with 8mb buffer
I also purchased a extra 120 gb western digital hd with 8 mb buffer.
128mb nvidia gforce 4600 ti
18 inch lcd monitor
soundblaster audigy with 1394
2 extra 1394 ports
4 usb2 ports
2 1.1 usb ports
winxp (will change to windows 2000 pro service pack 2)
all this was 3000
I checked dell they wanted 4500!

Is this ok for editing well. I am a film school student and need to edit without jitters and crappy output. I need clean and fast editing.
Thanks in Advance for your help

I am thinking of buying a xl1s or gl1

Jay Reilly
May 30th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Hi All,

I am interested in shooting with the 16:9 guides on then takeing the video into premiere to give it a widescreen composition...but I am confussed as how to achieve the crop.

I understand that you can use a Matte or a transform...can someone walk me though that?

Rob Lohman
May 31st, 2002, 03:13 AM
Personally I use After Effects for that because I can move the
footage up and down as well. In an older thread I talked about
this and someone replied with a posibility in Premiere as well.
Try to use the forum's search feature to find that thread.

Let me know if you can't find it.