View Full Version : Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bradley Miller
December 14th, 2001, 08:15 AM
I'm new to using Premiere and I have a feeling this is something very simple to do, but can anyone explain how I can superimpose two video images at 50% each and hold that for a duration of time? I'm not looking for a simple dissolve. I am trying to basically hold the dissolve effect at it's midpoint where both video tracks are onscreen at the same time.

Thanks.

Ed Frazier
December 14th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Hi Brad,

Here's one solution, but there are probably other ways to do it as well:

1. Overlap the the two clips on V1A and V1B
2. Place a Cross Dissolve transition on the transition track and stretch it to cover the duration of the desired effect.
3. Double Click the transition to bring up the Cross Dissolve Settings dialog box.
4. Set both Start and End sliders to 50%
5. Close the dialog box

You might want to put a shorter dissolve at the beginning and end to fade into and out of the superimposed section created with the above steps.

Good Luck,
Ed Frazier

Joe Redifer
December 14th, 2001, 06:09 PM
I'm not too familiar with the Windows version of Premiere, but does anyone know if there is a way to just have two video layers and set the opacity of one to 50%? That's how I do it in Final Cut Pro.

Ed Frazier
December 14th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Hi Joe,

Yes, it can also be done that way provided one clip is on Video Track #2 or higher. If I remember correctly, you cannot set opacity on Track #1A or #1B.

Ed Frazier

Justin Walter
December 15th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Do you know how to use transparancies... it is difficult to explain without images but here goes. I'm doing this from memory so some of the details might be wrong:
1 - Place one video on track 1 the other right above it on track 2; (not track 1a and 1b).
2 - Select the video no track 2 ; (Click on the video in track 2 the white box appears around it.)
3 - goto CLIP scroll down to VIDEO select TRANSPARANCY
4 - In the dropdown box select MULTIPLY or experiment with some of the other options... before hitting OK look in the upper right hand corner just under the large box there are 3 boxes, be sure to switch the underline that is under the far left box to the far right box.
5 - Render and tweak until the superimposition looks the way you want.

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
December 17th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Hey:

Generally, I do what dr_pepper does; this allows me to better judge the opacity with the two shots because you can change the "transparency level" on track 2 by tapping the down carrot (like you would to alter audio). But I do believe that it renders a tad slower by using transparency tracks than if you do a simple additive dissolve. One good thing about using transparency method (Using track 1 AND track 2) is that you can set any duration of "dissolve" that you would like, and have that 50 percent look you're going for. If you find a quicker method that does not take a long time to render, let us know!

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell

Bradley Miller
December 21st, 2001, 12:48 PM
Much appreciated everyone! Both methods worked well.

Bradley Miller
February 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Can anyone tell me how to set Premiere 6 so that it does not have a 20 minute limitation of exported AVI files?

Thanks!

Adrian Douglas
February 5th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Brad,

It's probably a limitation of your hardware or your OS. If your using Win 98 your probably limited to a 4 GB file as this is the FAT32file system limit. If your using Win2k or XP change to NTFS and this should remove your file limit. If there is still no change then it's probably a hardware limitation

drilldoc1
February 5th, 2002, 02:35 PM
If I use frame mode with my XL1, is it non-drop frame or drop-frame 30fps NTSC in Premier? I also notice that there is no selection for progressive frames, would you use "no frames" in the keyframe section and if exporting to an mpg2 encoder, would that also be the progressive setting? Also, if you capture at 60 fps or higher, would those settings in Premier change? Oh yeah, while I'm here, if I shoot with my XL1, does it matter what you capture from as I use a JVC DV deck to capture and print back to tape? In addition, is there a work around for the audio drift when capturing more than 15 mins. of footage?

Bradley Miller
February 7th, 2002, 05:09 AM
That's probably it. When I built this computer I did format the drives to FAT32. It is a Win2K system. However recently I had turned off Norton to do some editing and an email came in with a virus. The computer hasn't been the same since, so I need to format and do a clean install of Windows anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

drilldoc1
February 7th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Is the XL1 30 FPS non-drop frame or drop frame?

Joe Redifer
February 7th, 2002, 04:37 PM
You can change the format from PHIGGIDY-PHAT32 to NTFS without reformatting. I have the method written down somewhere but I am too lazy to go find it now. You have to reformat anyway for other reasons so it would probably be redundant.

drilldoc1
February 8th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Who was buried in Grant's Tomb?

John Locke
February 8th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Grant's Tomb was built specifically to bury Grant, on a new burial site, and he was buried alone. With that in mind, the answer to your question is "No one."

Change the tense, though, to the present...and well, then we all know the answer... ;)

Wish I could help you with the real question...but I can't. Don't know anything about Premiere and it's capture settings.

Be patient, though...there's a pretty sharp crowd roaming through these forums and I'm sure you'll eventually get an answer.

Adrian Douglas
February 8th, 2002, 07:30 AM
FYI

Use this command a the command prompt in Win2k

convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs

then sit back and enjoy the ride

Ed Smith
February 8th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Drilldoc1,

If I am correct there should be no drop in frame, no matter what frame rate. As far as I could work out it could be your hardware (what system are you running? Anything running in the background?).

Then again I could be barking up the wrong tree!!!

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

ajpate611
February 9th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Could someone explain what NTFS is and do I need to worry about that in Windows ME? I use Premiere and I also have problems exporting. I always thought that it was because I do not have enough memory (250 meg DDR ram).

Adrian Douglas
February 9th, 2002, 07:10 PM
NTFS is a file system used by NT/2000. It's more secure and stable than the FAT system and dosen't have file size limitations. At least not that I've found yet. ME dosen't use NTFS so you can't use it.

Your exporting problem is more than likely a configuration problem. You have sufficient RAM. What processor and hard drive are you using. Maybe your transfer speed is not high enough.

ajpate611
February 10th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help, I have an Athlon 1.3 and my video hard drive is a 30 gig IBM deskstar and I use a Canopus Raptor card. Don't know exactly the model of my hardrive. When I watch a rendered video in Premier, I occassionally get "glitches" which I assume are dropped frames. It doesn't happen often, but it happens enough that when I am exporting a finished movie back to minidv, i'll get a "glitch" in the video and have to start all over exporting. It is to the point that I defragment my drive, and I export 5 to 10 minute blocks of video to my minidv rather than try to export a whole 30 minute to hour video at a time and risk getting a glitch somewhere in the process. Does this make sense? I do make sure that I don't have anything running in the background like anti-virus software or other such things.

Ed Smith
February 10th, 2002, 02:27 PM
I think I have the same problem as you, I exported a whole 1hour video back onto DV tape to XL1, it looked fine when it was recording to the camera (through the viewfinder), but when I played it back on my monitor it would jerk (skip a couple of frames - quite regularly). Another strange phenomenon was that, occasionally it would suddenly speed up for no reason and so had to start the whole exporting process again.

I'm running Windows XPpro, Intel celeron 450MHz, 384mb RAM, 2gig, 12gig and 60gig hardrive, using Premiere 6. And again have nothing running in the background (screensavers etc).

Anybody else with any help for this problem?

All the best,

Ed Smith

*Hopefully this has not been sent twice*

Bradley Miller
February 10th, 2002, 02:46 PM
ajpate611, what version of Premiere are you using? I have a Windows 2000 box with a Pentium 3 800mhz processor and 1 gig of ram. I also use the Canopus Raptor card and have not experienced any dropped frames. I am using Premiere 6.

ajpate611
February 10th, 2002, 05:38 PM
I'm using Premier ... is it 5.1c or 5.5c .... not at my computer so I can't remember, it's the one just before they released 6.0. Not sure if I have the same problem as Ed, I can see mine "drop a frame or two" in the viewfinder. basically when I'm watching the video as it is exporting back to my XL-1, both on the monitor TV and the viewfinder I suddenly see the blue background just for a split second and then the video will continue and a little later I'll see the "blue screen" glitch again on both the viewfinder and the TV I have hooked up to monitor the video. For those who are familiar with the Raptor, it comes with software that tests your hard drive, both read and write, and my hard drive tests good for speed. I'm stumped and have decided to live with exporting my movies in short chunks. Although very frustrating.

Joe Redifer
February 10th, 2002, 07:40 PM
The only thing I can think of is that you need to render or flatten your video and audio. If you have too many effects going on at once it may get overwhelmed and it won't be able to send out the data. Ignore that "realtime rendering" sticker on the Raptor box. Render anyway.

This, of course, is just a guess.

Adrian Douglas
February 10th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Yeah I agree with Joe. Always render before exporting. I use a DV500, which is in the same catagory as the Raptor. It's supposedly real time but I always render before exporting.

Bradley Miller
February 11th, 2002, 04:36 AM
ajpate611,

Would you please tell me HOW you can actually use the Raptor card with Premiere for "realtime" playback? I've yet to figure out how to make that work and Canopus has been less than helpful. I'm probably missing something real easy here. :)

Ed Smith
February 11th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Ajpate611,

Your 'Blue Screen' problem is probably due to the video tracks not butting up against each other when there is a cut, i.e. there is a small gap.

Solution:

Zoom down to 1 or 12 frames where you have a cut, if there is a space just move the video across to fill the gap.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

ajpate611
February 11th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Ed, I thought of that but I noticed that the "blue screen" or "dropped frames" occur at different places each time I try to export a large file. I even have this problem when I export a 10 minute video rendered in premier to an .avi to later convert to mpeg on tmpgenc.

Brad, I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but, I found that to use premier with my raptor card, I actually have to have my "deck" or xl-1 connected and turned on in vcr mode the entire time I am editing. If I turn off my xl-1 while editing in premier, I have lots of problems.

Rob Lohman
February 15th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Hey,

I hope someone can assist me with the problem I'm
having. Basically I am doing the following:

I am making a short, edit it with Premiere 6.01. When
I am done editting I import the project into After Effects
(5.5) todo color correction, letterboxing and some other
things.

The problem that I'm having is that After Effects
does not takes fades into account. When using the
fadeline on the video footage AE just seems to ignore
that. When I do an addittive dissolve or a cross dissolve
from an empty track to my video track it creates a fade
in Premiere as well, but not in After Effects.

Does anyone know of a way todo this without resorting
to manual labor in After Effects?

Thanks very much!

Dan Dorsey
February 23rd, 2002, 10:12 PM
I have been using Adobe Premiere for some time now. I can edit just fine, minus a few lags from my computer. The problem I have is when I go to export my timeline to tape. It will not play through. It will usually play for a few minutes and then "hiccup" leaving a jump cut on my tape. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. No matter how small or large the project it will NEVER play to tape smoothly. I need help, this is my business!

I have a P4, 512MB RAM, and an 80gig-7200RPM firewire drive. It seems to me that my system is fine.

Justin Walter
February 23rd, 2002, 10:19 PM
This happens to me on more complicated projects when I try to play an exported video, or just previewing the timeline. It has never happended when I use the 'Print to Tape' (not sure if that is exactly what it is called). Sorry, caffine is killing my memory - You go to 'file', 'export', 'Print to Tape'. Try that if you haven't already and let me know what happens.

Dan Dorsey
February 24th, 2002, 08:26 PM
DR_Pepper_78,

STILL NO LUCK! I need to get some sleep this week, but I can't turn out projects with this mess. When I play it back it will go to the "blue no signal" screen of my VCR and then play through again creating that jump cut. Some times it will hiccup, and then go into a fast-forward mode. I have read about other people experiencing the same kinds of problems. My Premiere software is not exactly store bought either which may be part of the problem.

Bradley Miller
February 25th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Try this.

FILE/EXPORT/MOVIE/MICROSOFT DV AVI

Then when it is finished, simply do

FILE/OPEN/...and select that file you just created. It will open up in a new window and just press "play" and should play back perfectly smooth. Give it a shot and let me know if that works for you.

Adam Lawrence
February 25th, 2002, 01:56 PM
ive never imported premiere projects into after effects due to that reason..

i usually do all my color corrections, effects ect. in after effects.
then render a new avi to go to premiere for edit..

then output from there....

or vice versa i guess..

Rob Lohman
February 26th, 2002, 03:53 AM
only problem with that is space & time. If I want todo
that and not loose any quality I need to export either
uncompressed or in a lossless format (ie, not DV). This
takes muchos diskspace and time. Not ideal.

I have been rethinking my problem. I only have like 4
dissolves or something. The rest are all straight cuts
which After Effects has no problems with. So it is not
too much work todo those 4 manually.

Too bad After Effects cannot run inside Premiere (or
vice versa) as a plugin..

Oh well.... keep on dreaming

Adam Lawrence
February 26th, 2002, 02:16 PM
yup..

thats the only down fall is space and rendering time

but if you figure out a way to import projects from premiere
flawlessly then let me know...

i found using the microsoft DV compressor works well..
not the best but it makes for a good compression without
a noticable loss of quality...and doesnt take up much space.

Andrew Leigh
March 10th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Many times the system is O.K. but we leave applications running in the background, often we are not aware that these resources are running. Make sure virus checkers and other such applications are not running and sucking resources away.

Andrew

fargograf
March 12th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Has anyone mixed 32 and 48 khz audio in a premiere project? Adobe says to "avoid" mixing the two...but they don't say "you can't" !

I'd like to know what the possible problems that mixing would cause. (I'd like to export the finished project at 48K)

(Love this website!)

mdreyes23
March 12th, 2002, 02:30 PM
I didn't realize that adobe actually says to "avoid" this?

I've actually tried this and have experienced some problems. Nasty ones. My PC runs WindowsXP with Adobe Premiere 6.01. I've got pretty decent hardware. I never expereince crashes...system runs smoothly. Well, guess I should say, hardly crashes.

BUT...I experienced my first serious crash after about so many months...and all because I mixed 32 and 48 khz audio in a premiere project.

It's been awhile since I've tried but from what I remember sometimes I can mix audio formats if I start with a 32 khz project. Sometimes is the key. If I started with a 48 khz project and imported video that included audio that was less than 48 khz...my machine would crash horribly. OR it could have been the other way around now that I'm thinking about it. It may have crashed from starting with a 32 khz and importing 48khz.

In any case, be careful. I would just fool around with it. There are some workarounds you can do but it's just something you have to play around with.

fargograf
March 12th, 2002, 04:49 PM
I wonder if a 32 k file can be "converted" to a 48 k file? Anyone know?

Rob Lohman
March 13th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Yes, that is possible. But you really want to avoid conversions
in sample rate. Any conversions for that matter, whether
sample rate, video fps or video resolution. Any conversion is
always bad to have (i'm not going to talk about compression
here!). But if really needed, it can be done! Try to get the
best audio applications or plug-ins to do this for you! I doubt
Premiere will have the routines todo this good. It isn't an
audio package afterall. I heard Steinberg WaveLab is pretty
good. But I suggest listening to a true audio expert or asking
one about this.

Ed Smith
March 13th, 2002, 12:26 PM
You can use sound recorder which comes with windows.

load the file in, click file>save as>> change, then choose the quality (CD quality), click ok and there we go.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

Adrian Douglas
March 26th, 2002, 08:52 AM
For anyone using Premiere this guide is quite useful.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/premiere/main.html

Ed Smith
March 26th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Cheers for the link Adrian

Nathan Gifford
April 1st, 2002, 11:52 AM
I use Cinestream and not Premiere. However, the same techniques may apply.

In CS the general advice is to reserve a certain audio tracks for different sampling rates. Mixing different audio rates in the same tracks is well known for causing unusual and undesirable audio effects. By reserving these tracks for 32KHz these problems are avoided.

When rendering to the master audio track (AP) which can be set to 48KHz for the project, the system mixes the audio without resampling.

I am sure that probably applies for Premiere as well.

Nathan Gifford

fargograf
April 1st, 2002, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like mixed audio will work!

mdreyes23
April 8th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Okay, here's another newbie question regarding audio editing in Premiere.

BackGround: Say you have DV footage with 2 distinct voices. Like maybe a person talking and then an animal making noises in the background.

Question: Is it possible in premiere to edit the audio to remove only the sound for the person talking and keep all other sound in the DV footage? I tried using the Notch/Hum filter but it didn't seem to work. That's probably not suitable in the case. If it's not possible in premiere is it possible at all? If so, can most audio editors take care of this?

mdreyes23
April 8th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Okay, so I have DV footage that I took with White Balance all screwed up. Can White Balance be corrected in post using Premiere or After Affects? I have both...can somebody send me directions?

Adrian Douglas
April 8th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Audio isn't one of Premiere's strong suits. You best bet is to export the audio track and try to do it in some other audio application like Cool Edit Pro or Pro Tools

mdreyes23
April 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Can you export the audio from DV footage (in Premiere) in .wav format or something suitable for most audio apps?