View Full Version : What's the best flv encoder?

Karel Bata
January 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Anyone done any comparisons?

Cheers!

Jeff Harper
January 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Sorenson is the industry leader and is considered the best by many. I use Adobe Flash CS3 encoder which, obviously, works flawlessly. If I didn't have Flash CS3, I would likely use Sorenson. There is a demo available. I found Sorenson complicated compared to the Adobe Flash Encoder, but that is because it is richer in features and options.

If you're looking for a professional level encoding tool, look no further than Sorenson.

Karel Bata
January 17th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I use Sorenson, and I love how you can batch a variety of files to all manner of formats - very flexible - and the 'encode to file size', but I wondered what else might be out there. Seems odd to me that Adobe owns Flash, but that their encoder is not the industry standard, or that IE and Premiere offer different encoding preferences...

Eric Darling
January 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
At this stage, I think Squeeze is the best thing for FLV. But, it's not very fast, and if you potentially require many other formats or audio-only outputs (including WAV), it's not the best choice. Episode by Telestream is much faster, easier to master, and boasts a deeper feature set. For some reason, its FLV encoder doesn't seem to scale image all that well. It doesn't suffer the same problem with other formats, though.

Andy Wilkinson
January 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I use Sorenson Squeeze for Flash Pro 5 for my website which, as indicated above, is one of the best. I find it very versatile and very easy to use. I tend to use the On2 VP6 encoder for Flash. Note that this only comes with the Pro version of Squeeze. I also use 2-pass encoding, always.

Don't forget it's also possible (e.g in Compressor in FCS2, with multi-pass encoding) to encode videos to H.264 and, if required, just change the file stem. The latest Adobe Flash players (I think it came with version 9, we're on 10 now) that most people have installed on their PC's/Macs can play H.264 just fine/seemlessly and, arguably, it's a slightly better encoder/codec than even the really excellent On2 VP6.

Ben Britt
January 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have used Sorensen, Adobe CS4 Encoder & Episode.
I like Episode the best by far. Much better interface & option

Noa Put
January 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I like Episode the best by far. Much better interface & option

Never heard of that one, neither does google? Were do I find this one back?

Chad Dyle
January 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have to vote for Adobe Media Encoder CS4. I've created my template and set it as default. Drag, drop and leave. I have noticed that it takes a little longer than some other programs that I have used in the past. It also seems to eat up resources more as well. Nothing that can't be dealt with though.