What's the best flv encoder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the best flv encoder?

Anyone done any comparisons?

Cheers!
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorenson is the industry leader and is considered the best by many. I use Adobe Flash CS3 encoder which, obviously, works flawlessly. If I didn't have Flash CS3, I would likely use Sorenson. There is a demo available. I found Sorenson complicated compared to the Adobe Flash Encoder, but that is because it is richer in features and options.

If you're looking for a professional level encoding tool, look no further than Sorenson.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Sorenson, and I love how you can batch a variety of files to all manner of formats - very flexible - and the 'encode to file size', but I wondered what else might be out there. Seems odd to me that Adobe owns Flash, but that their encoder is not the industry standard, or that IE and Premiere offer different encoding preferences...
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Major Player

At this stage, I think Squeeze is the best thing for FLV. But, it's not very fast, and if you potentially require many other formats or audio-only outputs (including WAV), it's not the best choice. Episode by Telestream is much faster, easier to master, and boasts a deeper feature set. For some reason, its FLV encoder doesn't seem to scale image all that well. It doesn't suffer the same problem with other formats, though.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use Sorenson Squeeze for Flash Pro 5 for my website which, as indicated above, is one of the best. I find it very versatile and very easy to use. I tend to use the On2 VP6 encoder for Flash. Note that this only comes with the Pro version of Squeeze. I also use 2-pass encoding, always.

Don't forget it's also possible (e.g in Compressor in FCS2, with multi-pass encoding) to encode videos to H.264 and, if required, just change the file stem. The latest Adobe Flash players (I think it came with version 9, we're on 10 now) that most people have installed on their PC's/Macs can play H.264 just fine/seemlessly and, arguably, it's a slightly better encoder/codec than even the really excellent On2 VP6.
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #6
New Boot

I have used Sorensen, Adobe CS4 Encoder & Episode.
I like Episode the best by far. Much better interface & option
Ben Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Britt View Post
I like Episode the best by far. Much better interface & option
Never heard of that one, neither does google? Were do I find this one back?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Major Player

I have to vote for Adobe Media Encoder CS4. I've created my template and set it as default. Drag, drop and leave. I have noticed that it takes a little longer than some other programs that I have used in the past. It also seems to eat up resources more as well. Nothing that can't be dealt with though.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video