View Full Version : HMC150-24p slow motion

Greg Harris
February 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I have dvx100 and getting the 150 soon. I was just curious can you put footage, lets say shot in 720 24p in slow motion and it have a smooth image? I have seen some shots where people say it's 720 24p and its very slow motion and looks really smooth.

Also, since it has a 72mm lens front will my dvx UV filters fit on the 150???

thanks

Johnny Clark
February 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
1. Shoot the video that you want as slow motion in 60p.

2. Import the video (60p) into a 24p timeline.

Doing this will give a 40% speed of the acquired footage (smooth). If you are a FCP user, use Cinema Tools and 'conform' the 60p footage to 23.98fps. Good luck, it's really fun.

Any 72mm attachment will work on the HMC150.

Barry Green
February 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
You can shoot 720/60p and drop that into a 24p timeline for frame-accurate perfect slow motion.

And yes, 72mm filters from the DVX will also work on the HMC150.

Joe Riggs
March 2nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
What if you were shooting a wedding and wanted slow motion? In that situation, I tend to use slow motion a lot and I like to decide what will be slowed down in post. So would you shoot the whole wedding in 60p?

Jordan Berry
March 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
What if you were shooting a wedding and wanted slow motion? In that situation, I tend to use slow motion a lot and I like to decide what will be slowed down in post. So would you shoot the whole wedding in 60p?

That is a decision you will have to make.

What is more important to you? Low light performance or slow motion?

In a lot light situation you will notice a big difference between 24 and 60.

I'm not sure about mixing the two... maybe someone can comment on that.

Barry Green
March 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I tend to use slow motion a lot and I like to decide what will be slowed down in post. So would you shoot the whole wedding in 60p?
Yep. There's not much disadvantage, since the 150 uses the same bandwidth to record 24p as it does to record 60p.

Jordan Berry
March 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Yep. There's not much disadvantage, since the 150 uses the same bandwidth to record 24p as it does to record 60p.

I find the low light disadvantage to be pretty significant (on my A1 anyway).

Joe Riggs
March 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I am used to shooting with the vx2100 which is superb in low light. However, from the samples I have seen on the net the HMC works well in low light with a little gain. Surprisingly the gain does not decimate the image quality.

So if I shoot the wedding at 60p in order to able to slow whatever part of the wedding I want in post, what is the work flow (if I want most of the wedding at regular speed, and the rest in slow mo)? Would I drop it in a 60p timeline and slow it there, or drop everything in 24p timeline and conform the desired slow motion areas tp 23.987?

I am using a quad core windows machine with CS4

Thank You

Matt Stahley
March 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure how to deal with the footage in CS4 but with the Mac and FCP we have software Cinema Tools and you conform the 60p to 24 p and it gives you instant slo-mo. Here is a test I did I even slowed the footage down more by 50% in the timeline. Still pretty smooth. The last 2 clips of the chickadee are the normal 60p>24p without the 50% slow down

Birds feeding slo-mo on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/3446875)

Tom Hardwick
March 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Your 72 mm filters will indeed fit the 150 but because the 150 has a much shorter focal length at the wide end than the DVX it's much more important that you use filters *onlywhenyoumust*. Generally it's a lot better to filter in post as that way they can be undone, you don't compromise your lens hood's efficiency and flare will be kept to a minimum.

tom.

Dana Salsbury
March 4th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Great discussion!

So can I film a multi-cam prep and ceremony in 60p (for the slo-mo) and the reception in 24p (for the low light) then mix it together in FCP?

What would happen if I forgot to change one of the cams to 24p?

Also, how essential is it to use Cinema Tools and conform the 60p footage to 23.98fps?

Frederic Segard
March 31st, 2009, 07:25 PM
I was under the impression that you loose a stop from 60p to 24p, not the other way around. But I may be mistaken. Can someone confirm?

Jordan Berry
April 1st, 2009, 12:03 AM
I was under the impression that you loose a stop from 60p to 24p, not the other way around. But I may be mistaken. Can someone confirm?

Use your logic. The higher the shutter speed the less light can reach the camera's sensor.

Frederic Segard
April 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM
Yes, logic would dictate that, I agree... but on the DVX, you loose about a stop at 24p 1/48, compared to 60i 1/60 (same iris opening). If this issue in non-existant on the HMC150, then I'd be a vary happy man. One more reason to go on board with the HMC150 more quickly then anticipated.

Barry Green
April 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
The DVX gained a stop when going from 24p to 60i, irrespective of shutter speed (meaning, if you set 'em both at 1/60, you'd still see a stop difference in sensitivity). The HMC150 doesn't gain when going to 60i (or 60p), instead it loses about 1/4 stop when going from 24p to 60i (or 60p).

Frederic Segard
April 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
In the tests that I did with the HMC150 today, I noticed that at 24p, there is a slight increase in sensitivity. That is good news.

As for shooting 60p all the way for getting the slow motion (when desired) in a 24p timeline, it sounds like a tedious workflow. I may be wrong, but I'd worry about audio issues. And I'd also be worried that if the timing is a tad off, frame blending would degrade image quality. Never really tried it, so I'm curious. If some are doing it, I sure would like some clarification on this.

I personally would shoot 24p and retime in post (using Motion's optical flow for smooth slow-mo with ramping). If I can or could plan for a slow mo, then I'd only shoot that scene in 60p, but for weddings, changing frame rates on the fly can be a hassle (I guess the EX-3's frame rate dial would come in handy at this point). But if shooting 60p for a 24p timeline works without a hitch, then I'd be interested in hearing how it's done.

Barry Green
April 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
On the 150 it's really easy, but you do have to know how your editing program will behave with the footage.

In Vegas, for example, you'd set up a 24p timeline, and put your normal footage on there. When you want slow-mo, you'd shoot that in 720/60p, drop that clip on the timeline, right-click and disable resampling and set the playback rate to 0.400. Voila, instant film-style frame-accurate perfect slow motion, and I dare say it'll be way smoother than anything you'd get from trying to post-manipulate and slow down 24p footage.

Frederic Segard
April 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I tried it in FCP, but I can't seem to get the desired effect. Any particular trick? Because juste slowing down the footage is horrible.

Jeff Kellam
April 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
On the 150 it's really easy, but you do have to know how your editing program will behave with the footage.

In Vegas, for example, you'd set up a 24p timeline, and put your normal footage on there. When you want slow-mo, you'd shoot that in 720/60p, drop that clip on the timeline, right-click and disable resampling and set the playback rate to 0.400. Voila, instant film-style frame-accurate perfect slow motion, and I dare say it'll be way smoother than anything you'd get from trying to post-manipulate and slow down 24p footage.

Since Vegas can't handle a 720P60 timeline, I never thought to try it on a 24P timeline (for slowmo).

Thanks for the tip!

Brian Rhodes
April 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Since Vegas can't handle a 720P60 timeline, I never thought to try it on a 24P timeline (for slowmo).

Thanks for the tip!

You can set Vegas Pro 8 timeline to render out to 1280 60p custom settings.

Greg Harris
April 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Ok I got my camera last week and conformed it to 24p. When editing everything is crazy clear. I'm now having issues with exporting. When exported for online it's kind of jumpy (see below link). I have the western digital media player hooked up to my TV and I can't quite figure out the correct mpeg4 settings. I basically want to export my HD clips at the BEST resolution so everything looks GREAT on my plasma.

HMC150 first weekend test footage on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/4347459)

Greg Harris
May 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I've been shooting some stuff in 720, 60p and conforming it into 24frames. Everything looks SOLID.

Now my next question is. what if i took 1080 30p and conformed it to 24, would that look good or is 720 60 the way to go for smooth slow motion?

Steve Montoto
May 16th, 2009, 06:52 AM
You can change the framerates in Virtualdub and import those files into your 60i timeline. Works well for me in Edius and plays back super smooth 40% slo-mo.

Steve

Rob Sholty
August 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I tested some footage using the 60p technique in FCP. Basically you open the clip in Cinema Tools , Conform it to 23.98 FPS then open back up Final Cut, go to Tools and Synchronize with Cinema Tools. The footage comes out nice and Smooth. This clip I shot in 720P 60P. I think using this instead of the 1080p 60i looks a lot cleaner.

American Nightmare on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/6176026)

Scott Hayes
August 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
for the person who posed the audio question shooting in 720p60, I did that my first time out with this camera and ran into sync issues with my zoom h2. the solution, is to resample your audio at 120khz, it works perfectly. I found the formula after searching for hours, but you can sync audio at 120KHz with any frame rate.