View Full Version : shotgun mic questions

Terry Lee
March 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hey everyone,

Finally I was able to purchase my own equipment which consists of an HV30, a Juicedlink CX231 amp, ATH-T44 headphones, a DIY boompole and an AT875R short condenser mic. First there was this annoying buz in my headphones that I couldn't figure out where it was coming from then realized to my unknowing that I had the camera set to AV and not Headphones. I now have that straightened out and I can hear everything in my headphones. Absolutely everything...Since I only have a stand clip and not a shock mount I can hear the slightest tap on the boom pole. However there is a shock mount in the process.

My question is, What can I do to test my environments to see if what I am hearing is the best possible sound for indoor and outdoor applications?

I understand that shotgun mics are tricky indoors and outdoors you must worry about wind blowing into the mic. I am in the process of making a softie out of an old fuzzy Christmas stocking but won't know how well it works until its finished.

Thanks for your time,
Terry.

Marco Leavitt
March 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Honestly Terry, I'm not sure what you are asking. What do you mean by "testing my environments"?

Les Wilson
March 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Experience and skill is what you need. The latter will only come with the former. Equipment and book knowledge is a start but doesn't go very far.

Grab your boom pole operator and go practice a shoot. I enlisted the help of my daughter to read a poem in a half dozen pretty sites around town. Turned out to be a fun time and the footage is (now 5 years later) priceless. If you want to get good audio, your operator should have an inline monitor to hear what he or she is booming. I use a Rolls PM50SoB personal monitor mounted on the pole or belt.

Forget the DIY deadcat. There's some out there for $30 or so that will be way better than a former christmas stocking.