View Full Version : Using DVD-R for Digital Storage

Kelly Kel
October 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM
Okay, here's my dilemma. I need to get some video footage to my sound partner, but the vid footage is over 1 gig.

She needs the video in Quicktime (Sorenson) with 44.1 audio. That's all fine - all set, but it's too big to go on a CD-R and I just need to get this to her in one piece (preferably). I purchased some DVD-R's (Sony) which specifies on the box, "Provides up to 4.7 GB of digital storage or 120 minutes of high quality video". My problem is - my regular burning program doesn't recognize the media (dvd-r) and when I try to use any of my DVD authoring programs, they want to reformat it.

My question is - how can I burn this to the DVD-R as a quicktime file in a way that she will be able to retrieve it?

Thanks!
Kelly

Jeff Donald
October 21st, 2003, 09:55 PM
Are you on Mac or PC?

Kelly Kel
October 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Are you on Mac or PC? -->>>

I'm on a PC. :)

If it makes any difference, my sound person, who will be receiving the file, is on a Mac. :D

Thanks!

Gints Klimanis
October 21st, 2003, 10:19 PM
Do you have Nero for disk burning? Many DVD burners are bundled with Nero. I'm using Nero to make data DVD-Rs , just the kind you want to make. www.ahead.de has some 30 day trial
versions for you:

http://www.ahead.de/us/631939543802095.php

Which DVD burner are you using? Have you ever made
a DVD-R on this machine using that particular brand of DVD-R?
If not, try another brand. Also, pick up a DVD-RW so that you
can test your burns without making a coaster. You don't need many DVD-RWs, so pickup up a small pack even if they cost more.

Kelly Kel
October 21st, 2003, 10:34 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Gints Klimanis : Do you have Nero for disk burning? Many DVD burners are bundled with Nero. I'm using Nero to make data DVD-Rs , just the kind you want to make. www.ahead.de has some 30 day trial
versions for you:

http://www.ahead.de/us/631939543802095.php

Which DVD burner are you using? Have you ever made
a DVD-R on this machine using that particular brand of DVD-R?
If not, try another brand. Also, pick up a DVD-RW so that you
can test your burns without making a coaster. You don't need many DVD-RWs, so pickup up a small pack even if they cost more. -->>>

Thank you!! I just downloaded NERO and it is going to work fabulously. Recognized the quicktime files and seemingly no errors.

Thanks so much for helping me out. I'm VERY appreciative!