Using DVD-R for Digital Storage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Using DVD-R for Digital Storage

Okay, here's my dilemma. I need to get some video footage to my sound partner, but the vid footage is over 1 gig.

She needs the video in Quicktime (Sorenson) with 44.1 audio. That's all fine - all set, but it's too big to go on a CD-R and I just need to get this to her in one piece (preferably). I purchased some DVD-R's (Sony) which specifies on the box, "Provides up to 4.7 GB of digital storage or 120 minutes of high quality video". My problem is - my regular burning program doesn't recognize the media (dvd-r) and when I try to use any of my DVD authoring programs, they want to reformat it.

My question is - how can I burn this to the DVD-R as a quicktime file in a way that she will be able to retrieve it?

Thanks!
Kelly
Kelly Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:55 PM   #2
Warden

Are you on Mac or PC?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM   #3
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Are you on Mac or PC? -->>>

I'm on a PC. :)

If it makes any difference, my sound person, who will be receiving the file, is on a Mac. :D

Thanks!
Kelly Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Do you have Nero for disk burning? Many DVD burners are bundled with Nero. I'm using Nero to make data DVD-Rs , just the kind you want to make. www.ahead.de has some 30 day trial
versions for you:

http://www.ahead.de/us/631939543802095.php

Which DVD burner are you using? Have you ever made
a DVD-R on this machine using that particular brand of DVD-R?
If not, try another brand. Also, pick up a DVD-RW so that you
can test your burns without making a coaster. You don't need many DVD-RWs, so pickup up a small pack even if they cost more.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:34 PM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Gints Klimanis : Do you have Nero for disk burning? Many DVD burners are bundled with Nero. I'm using Nero to make data DVD-Rs , just the kind you want to make. www.ahead.de has some 30 day trial
versions for you:

http://www.ahead.de/us/631939543802095.php

Which DVD burner are you using? Have you ever made
a DVD-R on this machine using that particular brand of DVD-R?
If not, try another brand. Also, pick up a DVD-RW so that you
can test your burns without making a coaster. You don't need many DVD-RWs, so pickup up a small pack even if they cost more. -->>>

Thank you!! I just downloaded NERO and it is going to work fabulously. Recognized the quicktime files and seemingly no errors.

Thanks so much for helping me out. I'm VERY appreciative!
Kelly Kel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring