View Full Version : Flash Band Compensation

Calvin Bellows
April 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I have been looking at getting the HPX300 but the mos sensor was putting me off. I got a pdf from my Panasonic dealer saying that there is a firmware update coming soon called Flash Band Compensation. Basically it takes two frames of video with the flash band and turn it into one frame with Flash in it. Has anyone heard of this or used it? I wish I knew how to upload the PDF to show you guys the article.

Jan Crittenden Livingston
April 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Flashband Compensation addresses the fact that you cannot control flash camera artifacts that happen to the video when using a MOS based camera. This is because of the rolling shutter. The FBC does a fairly resonable job is resolving the issue by joining the 2 frames that have the Flashband and making it look like a CCD took the shot. It is not perfect but vastly better than no compensation, and I am only looking at prototype footage.

The FBC will be available as a download this summer to upgrade the HPX300s that are already out there and will ship in the cameras once available.

Hope this helps,

Jan

Calvin Bellows
April 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Jan,

Do you know if there is anything to prevent the "tiliting" of objects that are straight up and down during a pan due to the CMOS sensor?