View Full Version : Anyone else from Michigan?

Pages : [1] 2

Eric Zad
July 31st, 2002, 07:37 PM
New to this board and the xl1, just upgraded from the gl1; hope the $$ was worth it..

Currently we're shooting outdoors/fly fishing video for both tv episodes and full length interactive dvds..

Anyone out there filming underwater? Looking for some info/help to capture some footage...

e

K. Forman
July 31st, 2002, 08:42 PM
Try a periscope. You can get the footage without spending several hundred more for a housing. Just a thought.
Keith

Rob Lohman
August 1st, 2002, 02:05 AM
There are underwater housings for both the camera's (GL1 and
XL1) which allow you to actually dive with your camera, they are
a bit expensive though (the smaller the cheaper. So the GL1
housing will be cheaper than the XL1's). Periscope might not be
such a bad idea if the camera is not going to go very deep. You'll
probably have to build something yourself though. I've never
seen any advertised.

Jeff Donald
August 1st, 2002, 05:14 AM
Century used to makes periscopes http://www.centuryoptics.com/ but I'm not sure if they still do. They recently changed their site and not everything is shown. Down load their pdf price sheet and look for a periscope. they also have an 800 number.

Jeff

Eric Zad
August 2nd, 2002, 03:12 AM
dam... hit century optics looking for a periscope..$22,000- I'm guessing there's another one that I'm missing that's not so pricey!

e

Jason Gatti
February 11th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Just wondering if there is anyone else on this board from Michigan? If so where about's? Any other's like me, just starting out one camera 1 PC, home studio? Interested in working together on any project's? Let me know Storm3667@aol.com

Hans Nyberg
February 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I have a home based business doing film-to-video transfers, editing etc. My plans are to get more involved in the production end of things.

I've been shooting some roller-hockey with pretty good results. I like to mountain bike and I used to do some cross-country ski racing, so I''ll see what I can do with those sports too.

I've also been approached by a Japanese businessman, here in Novi, about shooting him and some of his friends from Japan riding their Harleys on Route 66 from Chicago to CA. It'll probably never happen but it sure would be cool if it did.

If you're in the SE part of the state maybe we could work on something together. hans[at]tenmilemedia.com.

By the way, I use a Canon GL-2 and a Sony TRV330, and I edit with Vegas 4.0.

Alfred Tomaszewski
March 1st, 2004, 04:11 PM
this is a little late coming, but i dont really check out this part of the board too often. I have a video production campany here in michigan. There are four of us with 2 vx2000s, vx1000, and gl1. All four of us edit on macs with FCP. We are always looking for more work.

Hans Nyberg
March 1st, 2004, 08:00 PM
Hi Alfred, I've got two sons about the same age as you guys (20 and 17 years old).

Since you're into music check out my younger son's webpage -

www.punkpress.com

Stephen Sawchuk
June 18th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Greetings,

As you'll see from my impressive post count of 1, this is my entrance.

I'm 18, from southeastern Michigan, and have yet to determine which film-related profession interests me. I've always enjoyed taking over my parents' less than powerful camcorders throughout my existance, but I could only "play" with them for so long.

So now, I'll be purchasing either a GL2, VX2000, or VX2100 in the next few days. Your assumption that I have no experience is an accurate one, however these machines offer the power that I'm after. And after viewing samples of what they produce, you can say that I couldn't stand settling for less.

I'm currently working on applying for the "Motion Picture Institute of Michigan" - www.mpifilm.com. Probably nothing too special, but it covers all the bases. There's been times when I hear a song and think "That song would be great if there were a scene with a car driving down the road in the rain," leading me to believe I'm best suited for a career in audio-to-motion picture matching. Then I'll see a movie and think "That's the most impressive work I've ever seen - I need to do that." And I've been rewriting Friends/Seinfeld episodes since I was 13, so there's also been times when I think I'm best fit for something along those lines.

So who knows. But thank you for reading all this. I know you gained nothing from it, but I am glad you made it this far.

Unless you skipped the meat of the message and are just reading my thank you. Heck, thanks for that too.

Great community! Always keeping an eye on "DV For The Masses." By the by, this first/last name basis is very welcoming and warm =)

Rob Lohman
June 19th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Welcome aboard Steve! Good to have you with us. I wish you
the best on your camera purchase and happy shooting!

John Harmon
July 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Well, where to begin?

I'm a wedding DJ turned videographer, although I still DJ weddings as well. I do most of my work through a well-known company in SE Mich that offers DJ's, video, photography, and even live bands. I had been a DJ for a long time, and one day last year I mentioned to the boss that I liked to edit video as a hobby. He then gave me raw tapes from a wedding that had long since been delivered and asked me to make a demo out of them. I did, he liked what he saw, and the rest is history...

I really had no equipment to speak of, just an old JVC DV consumer camera and a Best Buy tripod. I used, believe it or not, Pinnacle Studio 8 for my editing (and still do - despite the bugginess, it does give great results and it's easy to use). I've since gotten it somewhat together, and now use the following gear:

-A Sony VX1000. This actually belongs to my company, and they just had it completely overhauled, so it works very well. I intend to get my own in the near future, and like many of us, I'm torn between the GL2 and the VX2100. I've read many complaints about the reliability of the tape transport in the Canon, so I'm leaning more toward the Sony.

-My backup and capturing cam is a Panasonic PV-GS120 (3CCD). This little gem (and the GS150) may be the best value in consumer DV cams today. You get excellent video and a lot of features for $500. I have used it for a wedding shoot when the Sony was in the shop, and the results generated no complaints.

-For audio, I bought a Fostex MR-8 multitrack digital recorder. This little workhorse was the best $300 I ever spent. You can record two sources simultaneously onto separate tracks (mix 'em down at home!) and overdub if you wish (the MR-8 is really intended for musicians). It records onto Compact Flash cards, the same ones used in digital cameras, and can work on 6 AA batteries. A 512MB card will give you over three hours recording time in Extended mode (22 KHz, mono, which is all you really need for voice recording), and you can buy them at Wal-Mart.

At the reception, I jack it into the DJ board (since I know all our DJ's, it's not a problem, and even DJ's from other companies don't give me a hard time). This is vital for the intros, toasts, etc. I sync the board audio with the camcorder audio using the "get it in the ballpark and move it around until the echo disappears" method. You really need the camcorder audio - just using a straight board feed makes it sound dull and lifeless. To set levels, I burned an audio CD with a 0 dB 1000 Hz test tone. I have the DJ turn off the amps (VERY IMPORTANT!), play the CD, and redline the board. Adjust the level so the VU's read 0 dB, and you're all set.

-I have two UHF cordless mic systems: a Shure "Presenter" lavalier, which I use on the groom, and an Audio-Technica handheld I ganked from my DJ system and use mainly for interviews. (A lot of my DJ equipment is now pulling double duty.) When doing the ceremony, I simply jack the Shure receiver into the MR-8, place the whole thing somewhere unobtrusive, and let 'er fly. No, I can't monitor the thing while I'm behind the camera, but I have tested the range of the transmitter, I always install a fresh battery, and it hasn't let me down yet (knock on wood). The only time I've bothered to use the chruch's sound system was one where they actually placed a 1/4" jack in the back, connected to the master out, specifically for videographers. A nice touch. Recorded the lavalier on track 1 and the church board feed on track 2, mixed it down at home with the camcorder audio.

Question: Is there such a thing as a 12v rechargeable battery pack that can power these wireless receivers through the AC adaptor jack? Yeah, I know I can roll my own, but if there's such a thing, put me down for two.

-I also do photo montages, and I have Imagematics StillMotion Creator, video pro version. This allows you to pan & zoom around the still like they do in, say, A & E's "Biography" and make AVI files out of them. Yes, I charge extra if clients want this effect.

-Other software I use: Virtual Dub (good for changing file formats, among many other things), Video Toolbox (allows you to reverse video and mirror any half of the image), and DVD2AVI (does exactly what the name implies). All three of these are freeware - just download and enjoy. Also, I use GoldWave, the old version 4.26, if the audio needs any work. Don't get version 5 - I just plain don't like it.

That's it for now. I have a rare Saturday off, so I'm using it to catch up on my editing (I'm writing this as a video is rendering). I'm looking forward to learning from y'all, and maybe I can actually pass along a tip or two. Maybe I'll post a sample or two later.

Rob Lohman
July 17th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Hello John and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! Good to have you with us. Thanks
for your lengthy introduction. Sorry for my late welcome!

Brandon Tubek
July 22nd, 2005, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I'm from farmington hills michigan where i co-own a production company. Timber Ridge Productions. We use an AG-DVX100a and Sony Vegas 6.0. Our company is a huge fan of D. Spotted Eagle!

Anyone else in the michigan/ohio area?

Matt Trubac
July 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the forums.

I'm in Lansing. Attending Lansing Community College, studying Film. I mostly shoot weddings, own 2 DVX-100a's, and edit on an Apple dual 2.7G5 with FCP5, DVD SP4, Motion, and ST Pro (Final Cut Studio).

Matt Trubac

Brian Wood
July 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
hey, I live in macomb but spend most of my time in east lansing attending michigan state. I own a vx-2000 (along with a crap load of other equipment) and edit on FCP. I film any job that comes my way including weddings, commercials etc.

Brian

John Harmon
July 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Warren, MI checking in...

Matt Trubac
July 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Brian,

I have a wedding coming up on August 13. The wedding is in Fowlerville, and I'm looking for some new cameramen. I'd be interesting in seeing some of your work, and knowing what you would charge to work an 8 hour day. I'll supply a majority of the gear.

You can email me: Matt@TruVisionStudios.com

or post back

Thanks,

Matt Trubac
TruVision Studios
Phone: (517) 282-2915
http://www.TruVisionStudios.com
Matt@TruVisionStudios.com

Michael Redding
August 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
A would be Filmmaker in Flushing.

Chad Taylor
August 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM
hey everyone - after a while being just a fly on the wall in this forum - i thought i would register.

i do documentary work (some commercials to pay the bills) in downtown ann arbor. we shoot mostly DVCam, but have transitioned to DVX100a and Sony HDV (Z1). when we need to, we rent the varicam AJ-HDC27F. we're also looking to buy or make a 35mm adapter. we've also hired Grace and Wild and Triangle Films to do film work for us.

quick note about me - i have taught at University of Michigan, Madonna University and Washtenaw Community College in Maya, but that is for another forum.

45northcommunications.com if anyone is interested.

Rob Moreno
August 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Originally from Midland, graduated from Michigan State and lived in Lansing/East-Lansing for seven years. Now I live in Tokyo doing video shooting and editing for Coca-Cola.

Daniel Rudd
October 16th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Muskegon, MI (just west of Grand Rapids) on the coast of Lake Michigan.
Mostly documentary style promotional videos for non profits.

Just upgrading to HDV
Edit Premiere Pro (I've been with premiere for 8 years)

Also do music production for multimedia. Will be launching a website soon selling royalty free music.

Daniel

Dennis Khaye
October 29th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I just found this place and WOW, what a lot of nfo. Gonna catch up on the old posts. Thanks for the mods and admins for putting this all on. Thanks to all the peeps for tons of wonderful content.

See you around the boards.

Dennis Khaye
October 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM
GR here. Background is in writing but trying my hand at film making.

Douglas Akers
October 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Downriver rat most of my life but I've shot all around the state.
My Production company is based out of Ypsilanti, near EMU.

Eric Brown
October 30th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Originally from Grand Rapids but been in LA the last 10 years working in the film and animation industry.

Rob Lohman
November 11th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Hi Dennis, welcome aboard (H)DVinfo.net! Good to have you with us. Sorry for
my late welcome.

Chad Huntley
November 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
I am from Grand Rapids but am currently attending Michigan State.

Derek Lewis
November 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Hello from Perry!

I usually do Motocross/Snowboarding/action sports videos, but I've done some weddings, graduation montages, ect.

Using a Panasonic PV-GS65, with a Rode VideoMic. Editing with iMovie, and FCP. All I can afford while going to college.

Karyn Ruffin
November 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM
...live in Saginaw, work in Lansing, spend most of my time on the freeway...

Tom Chaney
November 27th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Greetings from Plymouth, Michigan.

www.take2themovie.com

Daniel Rudd
November 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM
It seems we're growing a larger concentration on the West Michigan end of the state.

Tom, I tried to check out your movie site and it didn't work.

Daniel

Tom Chaney
November 29th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Hi Daniel,

I just clicked the above link and it all seemed to work.

Please let me know if you can't get it to work.

Thanks,

Tom

Daniel Rudd
November 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Sorry Tom, must have been a temporary problem on my end. It loaded fine this morning.

Looks like a good story.
For this I'll forgive you for being on the wrong side of the state.

:)

Tom Chaney
November 29th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks Daniel,

I think the film will be fun, we are working with a comedy group called the Stunt Johnson theater and they are a riot.

By the way, I like your side of the state as well.

Tom

Dennis Khaye
December 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM
LOL, that's pretty cool Tom. Enjoyed your QT short there. Good luck with it. Feel free to ask if you need some mundane help.

-- LP Michigan Rocks! --

Joe Connell
December 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Well, if all of your are here in Michigan,
you need to check out our local videographers association.
MIVA www.mivaonline.com
We have been around since 1993 and have over 75 members
from all over Michigan and some from Canada.

Check out our web site and if you have any questions,
you can contact me at mivamail@comcast.net

Joe Connell
MIVA DMI
Director of Membership Information
mivamail@comcast.net

Jason Gatti
February 28th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Hello fellow Michigan members. I was wondering if I might trouble you to answer a few questions for me. I have a Canon GL2 and I am planning an important shoot. I can't afford the lighting I need or a wide angle len's. Is there anywhere in our area that might rent these things? I only need them for one day. Can anyone help me out with some information?

Jason

Mike Berlucchi
March 2nd, 2006, 01:53 AM
Hey Jason, have you tried Detroit Power & Light or Lowing Light & Grip. I also own a few lights, depending on how many you need maybe we could hook up and I will let you borrow them. Also if you need any help with your shoot I would more than happy. I own an XL2, if you are looking for a bit more quality than your GL. I also have access to the century optics MK2, its fish-eye, but if it will work then great. Email me with some details if your interested. Here is a link to some more light rentals in Michigan.

http://www.mandy.com/1/services.cfm?t=usmi&c=lrnt

Jeff DeMaagd
March 29th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hi, I live about 20mi SE of Grand Rapids. I am looking to network with a few people in the area. Aside from you, I only know of one video person that's into video work pro or otherwise, and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of good local resources.

If you know of any local associations or decent local supply outlets, I'm all ears. Failing that, I'm willing to meet one-on-one or try to invite the other guy I know along to share stories, tips and compare & test equipment, etc.

I spend a lot more of my time designing, making and selling accessories for camcorders than I do actually using the camcorder or other video work. I am about to start recording my second instructional video for an unrelated industry.

Keith Allison
April 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Hey all... relatively new to the board.. have read alot and decided to jump in.
I know I've seen some folks on here from Michigan... So I'm definitely not the first. I work at a large manufacturing company - I've been there for 12 years - 10 in the art department as a senior graphic artist and finally got switched to the marketing department where I am now Lead Multimedia Designer (web, 3d animation and design, video and plenty of graphics work). Sounds good at least! I've been doing 3D work for about 10 years and I managed to convince my boss to get me 3DS Max... it's nice to finally get paid to do what I've been doing for so long! My latest project was a 3-D (red / blue glasses) tradeshow video for the company... I've done a documentary on the company history... and recently, I'm working with a former TV anchor on a butt-load of training videos, company dinner videos and another tradeshow video (my first go at a 16:9 production). I must say that being able to do this kind of work for a living is actually very enjoyable!

I've been writing a short movie (10-15 minutes) and hopefully can get started early this summer. Thankfully my boss is really cool and lets me borrow the work camera and lighting whenever I want...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... until a better story comes along at least.

Thanks for the awesome and VERY informative forum!

Rob Lohman
April 27th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi Keith, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Tom Chaney
May 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hi Keith,

Welcome aboard, I actually run a small manufacturing company and do the film and video stuff on the side.

Have done quite a few low budget features and currently doing one now.

Welcome to the site, it's a wonderful community to share ideas, problems and dreams.

Tom Chaney

Dennis Khaye
May 16th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Welcome to the board Keith!

Stephen David Smith
May 26th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Hey guys,

My name is Steve Smith and I'm from the Flint area. Ive been going to school for computer animation down in Sarasota for the past 3 years. I'm currently out in NY at NYU for a summer film certificate. I'm also am in the process of doing some pre-pro for a documentary project...and thats my gig thus far. I wish I could say I was getting paid for this but, suppose that doesnt come til' after I graduate. Very passionate about film and would love to collaborate on any projects...

If anybody in MI needs someone with 3-D skills let me know.

Software Knolwedge:

Pixar Renderman
Maya 6.0/7.0
Maya Mental Ray
Apple Shake
Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple Motion
Adobe After Effects
Soundtrack Pro
Adobe Audition
Adobe Premiere

And if anybody knows of any production houses near Detroit that rent 35mm or super 16mm film cameras...drop me a line!

Tom Chaney
June 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Hi Steven,

Stratton Camera in Farmington Hills is the best rental house for gear, both film and HD.

Lon Stratton is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Tom Chaney

www.tomchaney.com

Daniel Rudd
June 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome Keith and Steven,
Keith what part of Michigan are you in?

John Vincent
July 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Home of Eastern Michigan University, neighbors to Ann Arbor and Detroit, & there's a fine indie film movement growing here.

Part of that is us over at Evil Genius Entertainment LLC - we've been making indie films for over ten years, as well as doing a commercial here and there.

We always try help other independants and are always looking for PA's and other crew members. If you're in town or need help or want to help, let us know. Chao!

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

Keith Allison
August 26th, 2006, 05:04 PM
sorry it took so long to get back to this.. I never got an email letting me know that there were any responses. oh well.

Daniel... I'm in Macomb...

Rob Lohman
August 27th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Keith: I see in the thread that you are not subscribed to it. You'll only get
emails when you subscribe to a thread!