View Full Version : significant drop in audio levels

Joe Nelson
July 2nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
My XH-A1 is approx. 4 years old and I am noticing a significant drop in audio levels. Can someone tell me if there is a battery that can be changed (or should be) to bring up the volume of my recorded video? I am using the onboard mic and have tried setting it to both Auto and Manual. The results are slightly louder in manual mode with the knobs turned all the way up.

Any suggestions out there?

Joe

Battle Vaughan
July 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
No battery involved except the main battery that runs the camera; there is a small battery somewhere that keeps the memory settings alive, but it's not an issue.

If it's the onboard mike that's the problem, check the menu (audio setup>mic sensit) setting to see if it has been changed accidentally, and also audio setup>mic mode to see if it's been changed (usually on normal). Failing that, it may be a failure in the audio board and need a trip home to mama.....hth / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Joe Nelson
July 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yes, it's the onboard mic. I will check all the settings to make sure of sensitivity and such. Thanks for the input.

Bill Watson
July 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Best try it with an external mike.

If you don't have one I'm sure your local camera store or Radio Shack will be happy to assist, especially if they think there's a possible microphone sale on the cards.

Allan Black
July 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM
One off the wall here. Joe, you do know that Canon in the darkest of their dark nights reversed the direction of the 2 A1 audio faders. Up is down and down is up.

Cheers.

Bill Pryor
July 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I've had my camera since late 2006 and I still can't get used to that. You'd think they would have changed it on the S upgrade.

Joe Nelson
July 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
One off the wall here. Joe, you do know that Canon in the darkest of their dark nights reversed the direction of the 2 A1 audio faders. Up is down and down is up.

Cheers.

What exactly are you talking about? Is this an on-camera setting? I am talking about the onboard mic here.

Allan Black
July 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM
What exactly are you talking about? Is this an on-camera setting? I am talking about the onboard mic here.

You know that to adjust the audio recording levels on the A1 there's 2 volume controls on the left side.

Normally you'd turn them in a downwards direction to lower the audio level and up to raise it.

But on the A1 Canon reversed it, turning them down raises the level and upwards lowers it.

Bill, I can't get used to it either. I thought they did correct it on the A1s ..?

Cheers.