significant drop in audio levels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:18 AM   #1
New Boot

significant drop in audio levels

My XH-A1 is approx. 4 years old and I am noticing a significant drop in audio levels. Can someone tell me if there is a battery that can be changed (or should be) to bring up the volume of my recorded video? I am using the onboard mic and have tried setting it to both Auto and Manual. The results are slightly louder in manual mode with the knobs turned all the way up.

Any suggestions out there?

Joe
Joe Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Trustee

No battery involved except the main battery that runs the camera; there is a small battery somewhere that keeps the memory settings alive, but it's not an issue.

If it's the onboard mike that's the problem, check the menu (audio setup>mic sensit) setting to see if it has been changed accidentally, and also audio setup>mic mode to see if it's been changed (usually on normal). Failing that, it may be a failure in the audio board and need a trip home to mama.....hth / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Yes, it's the onboard mic. I will check all the settings to make sure of sensitivity and such. Thanks for the input.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Best try it with an external mike.

If you don't have one I'm sure your local camera store or Radio Shack will be happy to assist, especially if they think there's a possible microphone sale on the cards.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

One off the wall here. Joe, you do know that Canon in the darkest of their dark nights reversed the direction of the 2 A1 audio faders. Up is down and down is up.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Contributor

I've had my camera since late 2006 and I still can't get used to that. You'd think they would have changed it on the S upgrade.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
One off the wall here. Joe, you do know that Canon in the darkest of their dark nights reversed the direction of the 2 A1 audio faders. Up is down and down is up.

Cheers.
What exactly are you talking about? Is this an on-camera setting? I am talking about the onboard mic here.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nelson View Post
What exactly are you talking about? Is this an on-camera setting? I am talking about the onboard mic here.
You know that to adjust the audio recording levels on the A1 there's 2 volume controls on the left side.

Normally you'd turn them in a downwards direction to lower the audio level and up to raise it.

But on the A1 Canon reversed it, turning them down raises the level and upwards lowers it.

Bill, I can't get used to it either. I thought they did correct it on the A1s ..?

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders