View Full Version : Time lapse D-SLR recommendations?

Larry Huntington
July 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I have a shoot coming up that requires a time lapse sequence for plants and root growth.
I only have $1000 allocated for 2 cameras for this small sequence, and will be renting or borrowing lenses. I am leaning towards a Nikon with a built in flash, but not sure what my best bang for the buck is in the D-SLR world.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks! Larry

Larry Huntington
July 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Through some quick web browsing, I found the Nikon D60 which is going for $580. Anyone have any thoughts or want to share your D60 experience? BTW I will be mixing this footage with 4k Red One material.

Ray Bell
July 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
just about any of the Canon DSLR cams will do what you want.. you'll need to get the
external remote control that creates the time interval also...

you could probably get a couple of 20D bodies for that budget

Shawn McCalip
July 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Not to hijack the thread too much here, but has anyone here tried out any of the Sony Alpha DSLRs (a700 or a900) for time lapse? I'm also looking for a camera for interval or time lapse recording, and I'm leaning more toward the Sony after hearing about some of the problems that plague some of Canon's models, namely the 5dmkii. Just looking for other people's experiences..

John Abbey
July 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
you can save some money and get a used canon s3is, they work great for timelapse and have a built in intervalometer.

Andrew Davies
July 30th, 2009, 05:48 AM
A Nikon D200 has a built-in intervalometer and does great time lapse. You will need to think about flashes such as the SB-R200s and how to power the camera and flashes for an extended period of time.

Andy