Time lapse D-SLR recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Time lapse D-SLR recommendations?

I have a shoot coming up that requires a time lapse sequence for plants and root growth.
I only have $1000 allocated for 2 cameras for this small sequence, and will be renting or borrowing lenses. I am leaning towards a Nikon with a built in flash, but not sure what my best bang for the buck is in the D-SLR world.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks! Larry
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Through some quick web browsing, I found the Nikon D60 which is going for $580. Anyone have any thoughts or want to share your D60 experience? BTW I will be mixing this footage with 4k Red One material.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

just about any of the Canon DSLR cams will do what you want.. you'll need to get the
external remote control that creates the time interval also...

you could probably get a couple of 20D bodies for that budget
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Not to hijack the thread too much here, but has anyone here tried out any of the Sony Alpha DSLRs (a700 or a900) for time lapse? I'm also looking for a camera for interval or time lapse recording, and I'm leaning more toward the Sony after hearing about some of the problems that plague some of Canon's models, namely the 5dmkii. Just looking for other people's experiences..
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

you can save some money and get a used canon s3is, they work great for timelapse and have a built in intervalometer.
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

A Nikon D200 has a built-in intervalometer and does great time lapse. You will need to think about flashes such as the SB-R200s and how to power the camera and flashes for an extended period of time.

Andy
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)