View Full Version : Love Story - Becky and Aaron

Kenzie delaTorre
August 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
This is my first short love story video, and first interview of a couple.
I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

I learned a lot from this one so far. Some mistakes I made were: not paying attention to technical details like focus during interview because I was busy asking questions so it's slightly off, shooting our own b-roll footage rather than just shooting what the photographer was shooting for his engagement photo session - when I got to the edit I was bored with a lot of the footage. I did not want to interrupt his paid for time with the customer, so the only time I had them to myself was to do the interview after the photo shoot.

"Failure is the fertilzer to success!" - at least that's what I tell myself! :)

Here it is:
Becky and Aaron - Love Story on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/5946140)

Matt Barwick
August 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hey Kenzie,

Thanks for sharing this and good job for a first effort with a love story. I thought it was a nice, brief insight into their lives and their story. They were obviously very relaxed with you and comfortable being in front of the camera which gives you a huge head start.

As you mentioned, some more footage of them together in different locations/scenes would've really strengthened it. The sequence beginning around 2:20 would have been beautiful if that garbage bin on the left had been cropped :(

Overall great job for your first and I'm sure you learned heaps!

Cheers,

Matt.

Richard Wakefield
August 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM
i thought this was good too! really nice couple, and very comfortable around the camera

the audio went a bit weird at the 1:35 mark, as if it needed ambience audio, or the song needed to go up again

also, i liked the way it was kept short and sweet...seemed just right in length

Matthew Craggs
August 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Good job. The only thing I can gripe about it that the background noise was distracting for me. I may have missed it but I didn't see a lav mic. Maybe you could mic each of them next time and move them to a location without cars in the background. Or, if you only have one lav, interview them each separately and play their answers off of one another.

I do like their interaction though. They're a cute couple.

Aaron Mayberry
August 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
A few shots of them with the dogs would of been fitting. We hear so much about how the dogs played a role in them meeting, but the visuals are them walking around together.

Stephen J. Williams
August 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
A few shots of them with the dogs would of been fitting. We hear so much about how the dogs played a role in them meeting, but the visuals are them walking around together.

I thought the same thing... The dogs could have added to the piece. But overall I liked it a lot. Thought it was great pacing and length.
Pretty clever way of asking his wife to marry him also.

Steve

Kenzie delaTorre
August 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Thank you everyone for your reviews and critique!

Matt: I see what you are saying about the trash can. great tip.

Richard: do you mean where the audio fades out, but the end of the clip (slomo part) has no audio?
Yeah I hear ya. So maybe I should let the laughing audio drag on through the slomo ending?

Mathew: yeah, no lav mic at all ont hat day, our sennheiser ME2 broke the day before (brand new), sent it back to sennheiser and just got the replacement today actually.
So I basically had a sennheiser handheld mic (wired) hanging from above them just barely out of camera on a "boom", actually a mic stand.
It was REALLY loud there and the wind was blowing hard. We were in downtown houston right next to an interstate making a ton of road noise, and downtown noise of course.
For this session I did not have as much freedom as we will have for other sessions. This couple did not book us to do the video, so I asked them if I could tag along at their photo session that the photographer was doing.
For all future interviews we will require that they record in studio.

Aaron: no choice in the dogs being part of it. like I said, this was an experiment and a tag along to a paid for photographers photo session. They agreed to stick around afterwards to do an interview, but the photographer did what they were asked to do for the engagement photo session.