Love Story - Becky and Aaron at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Love Story - Becky and Aaron
Kenzie delaTorre Kenzie delaTorre is offline August 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM

This is my first short love story video, and first interview of a couple.
I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

I learned a lot from this one so far. Some mistakes I made were: not paying attention to technical details like focus during interview because I was busy asking questions so it's slightly off, shooting our own b-roll footage rather than just shooting what the photographer was shooting for his engagement photo session - when I got to the edit I was bored with a lot of the footage. I did not want to interrupt his paid for time with the customer, so the only time I had them to myself was to do the interview after the photo shoot.

"Failure is the fertilzer to success!" - at least that's what I tell myself! :)

Here it is:
Becky and Aaron - Love Story on Vimeo

Kenzie delaTorre
New Boot
Views: 1156
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Kenzie,

Thanks for sharing this and good job for a first effort with a love story. I thought it was a nice, brief insight into their lives and their story. They were obviously very relaxed with you and comfortable being in front of the camera which gives you a huge head start.

As you mentioned, some more footage of them together in different locations/scenes would've really strengthened it. The sequence beginning around 2:20 would have been beautiful if that garbage bin on the left had been cropped :(

Overall great job for your first and I'm sure you learned heaps!

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #3
Major Player

i thought this was good too! really nice couple, and very comfortable around the camera

the audio went a bit weird at the 1:35 mark, as if it needed ambience audio, or the song needed to go up again

also, i liked the way it was kept short and sweet...seemed just right in length
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Good job. The only thing I can gripe about it that the background noise was distracting for me. I may have missed it but I didn't see a lav mic. Maybe you could mic each of them next time and move them to a location without cars in the background. Or, if you only have one lav, interview them each separately and play their answers off of one another.

I do like their interaction though. They're a cute couple.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

A few shots of them with the dogs would of been fitting. We hear so much about how the dogs played a role in them meeting, but the visuals are them walking around together.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
A few shots of them with the dogs would of been fitting. We hear so much about how the dogs played a role in them meeting, but the visuals are them walking around together.
I thought the same thing... The dogs could have added to the piece. But overall I liked it a lot. Thought it was great pacing and length.
Pretty clever way of asking his wife to marry him also.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
New Boot

Thank you everyone for your reviews and critique!

Matt: I see what you are saying about the trash can. great tip.

Richard: do you mean where the audio fades out, but the end of the clip (slomo part) has no audio?
Yeah I hear ya. So maybe I should let the laughing audio drag on through the slomo ending?

Mathew: yeah, no lav mic at all ont hat day, our sennheiser ME2 broke the day before (brand new), sent it back to sennheiser and just got the replacement today actually.
So I basically had a sennheiser handheld mic (wired) hanging from above them just barely out of camera on a "boom", actually a mic stand.
It was REALLY loud there and the wind was blowing hard. We were in downtown houston right next to an interstate making a ton of road noise, and downtown noise of course.
For this session I did not have as much freedom as we will have for other sessions. This couple did not book us to do the video, so I asked them if I could tag along at their photo session that the photographer was doing.
For all future interviews we will require that they record in studio.

Aaron: no choice in the dogs being part of it. like I said, this was an experiment and a tag along to a paid for photographers photo session. They agreed to stick around afterwards to do an interview, but the photographer did what they were asked to do for the engagement photo session.
Kenzie delaTorre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery