View Full Version : Glidecam V16/V20 owners

Charles King
May 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Hi all. I'm working on my next book about modifying the bottom of the sled of the Glidecam V16 and V20 models. The modification is to make the V16/V20 more modular with the integretion of a sliding mechanism for fore and aft adjustments.

Now, I seem to forget if the bottom post, that is soldered to the base plate, is removable? I noticed the clamp at the bottom, so therefore it can be extended but what I don't know is, if the bottom half can be completely removed from the main post.

Anybody can verify this? Andrew or Casey? If anyone as some close up pics to share I'll be grateful. In fact I'll be happy :)

If you like I could put a couple in my book. Thanks

Casey Visco
May 25th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Charles,

Yes the bottom half of the post (with the base welded on), can be completely removed from the upper section of the post.

Charles King
May 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks Casey :) Is the clamp also removable? What is the size of the main post?

Casey Visco
May 25th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Charles,

I don't have a V-16 with me here at my house, and I'm sitting here racking my brain to answer even those basic questions and you know what, I can't. I was about to take an educated guess, but I don't want to give you any incorrect information. So, for right now, I can promise you that I will find out at some point tommorow the answers to your questions. Unless, one of our users who actually does have a V-16 sitting in their house wants to chime in between now and then!

Charles King
May 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the help casey. I'll be waiting.
Maybe those who have the rig can tell me but it seems no one is responding to this question. I sknow some people here do have this rig but do not want to respond. Aah well. I guess I'll have to wait for you Casey.

Brad Richmond
May 26th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Charles,

I have the V16 so here you go:

- Bottom post is welded to the base plate
- Bottom post can be completely removed
- Bottom clamp can be completely removed

Measurements:

TOP POST
Length Approx. - 21 1/2" long
Outside diameter - 1 1/4"
Inside Diameter - 1 1/16"

BOTTOM POST
Outside diameter - Slightly < 1 1/16"
Inside diameter - 5/8"

Don't do any machining until somebody double-checks my measurements, as I've only had two cups of coffee this morning. Let me know if you need pictures.

While you are at it, have you ever considered designing, making, and/or selling a "pitch adjustment block adaptor" for the V-16. In other words, an adjustable block, that fits into the V16 vest and accepts the V-16 arm. I would think there is a market for such a device, I know I would be interested.

BTW - I bought a copy of "Homebuilt Stabilizer...stabilizing a dream". Very nice book! As a V-16 owner, I am certainly looking forward to your next book.

Charles King
May 26th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks alot Brad. Really appreciate it. I will love some pics of the base plate, preferably a close-up shot, a full profile of the sled and any modifications you have made.
I would also like your permission to use some pics if it comes to that.

"While you are at it, have you ever considered designing, making, and/or selling a "pitch adjustment block adaptor" for the V-16. In other words, an adjustable block, that fits into the V16 vest and accepts the V-16 arm. I would think there is a market for such a device, I know I would be interested."

Well, speaking of the devil :) I've been working on something like that for my own vest. I've managed to come up with rough design for a fore and aft pitch adjustment. You probably have seen it it in my book. I'm also trying to improve on the version you saw in my book. I must say that it makes such a difference in controlling the arm.

BTW, thanks for purchasing the book. I am glad you took your hard earned money and made the purchase. Thanks again.

Now, I'm working on the side-to-side pitch. It's taking some time as I'm trying to figure out how it will be positioned to reduce the stress on the bracket itself. As for the V16/V20, I'm working out a design but the connection for the arm on the vest doesn't make it easy. It's just a matter of time. After all, I've been at this for almost 8 years now and I'm still at it :) Will keep everyone updated.

"BTW - I bought a copy of "Homebuilt Stabilizer...stabilizing a dream". Very nice book! As a V-16 owner, I am certainly looking forward to your next book."

I think you will be happy witht he results I have planned for the V16/V20 modification. The procedure will be simple to adapt and you will be glad you did the modification. So far I'm 2/4 of the way through the book.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
May 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM
After all, I've been at this for almost 8 years now and I'm still at it :) Will keep everyone updated.

Charles,

With all this designing, building, and writing (books), do you have some time left to shoot some videos?!? :-)

By the way, I just ordered your book on cafepress.

Casey Visco
May 26th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Ah, looks like I'm off the hook...thanks for posting the specs, Brad.

Charles King
May 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
"With all this designing, building, and writing (books), do you have some time left to shoot some videos?!? :-)"

It doesn't seem like it does it? :) Well, I'm working on a music video video shoot that has been put off for awhile. I have just been so caught up with this homebuilding thing that my girlfriend things I'm cheating on her. :)
What can I say. I'm addicted ;)

BTW, thanks for purchasing the book. I appreciate it :)

Casey, thanks for your help. Any info you might have that could be useful please let me know.

If anyone has pics of their V16 or V20 or any modifications they want to share please send them. :)

Another thing. What is the size of the the screw thread used in the clamp to hold the lower post together?

Charles Papert
May 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM
<<So far I'm 2/4 of the way through the book.>>

Charles, let us know when you get to the halfway mark then, OK old boy?

Ah but seriously, I'm nearly done with writing the script for my absurdly dragging-on instructional DVD--hoping to shoot the bloody thing in the next month.

Charles King
May 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Good one Charles :)

Good to hear about you instructional dvd is almost in the works. I can't wait for it. ;)

Charles King
May 27th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Brad, will you be sending me those pics? I don't know if you read my reponse to your post yet.

Brad Richmond
May 27th, 2004, 09:36 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : Brad, will you be sending me those pics? I don't know if you read my reponse to your post yet. -->>>

Yes. I will try and get on it this weekend. Let me know what size you want the files to be. Of course you can use the pics however you like.

I haven't made any modifications to my V-16 yet. I've been waiting for you to design them for me. <G>

Brad Richmond
May 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : <<Ah but seriously, I'm nearly done with writing the script for my absurdly dragging-on instructional DVD--hoping to shoot the bloody thing in the next month. -->>>

Hurry up Charles! I'll be 53 in July, and I'm not sure that I will have much use for your video by the time I turn 70. Maybe you should include a segment on how to mount a stabilizer to a walker! <G>

Charles Papert
May 27th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Believe me Brad, with me in my 18th year as a Steadicam operator, and a few others around with up to 10 years more than that, the concept of a walker-mounted rig is not bad (but more likely, Segway-mounted or hydrogen-fuel-cell-powered levitation system etc...)

Charles King
May 28th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Will post the size I want when I get home from work today. I'll be leaving for a 3 week vacation to visit my grandmother. I'll be leaving on tuesday morning. Just to let you know if you decide to e-mail me or post something here pertaining to me.
Don't worry, i'll be done in about a month or two,´maybe shorter if everything goes as planned.

Hey Charles P. even though I'm only 35 years, I still a long way to go but I'm anxious too. :)

Charles King
May 28th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Brad, pics size of 640 x 480 pixels are fine. Please make them clear and sharp :) The best pics always produce better when printed. Thanks.

Brad Richmond
June 2nd, 2004, 10:15 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Believe me Brad, with me in my 18th year as a Steadicam operator, and a few others around with up to 10 years more than that, the concept of a walker-mounted rig is not bad (but more likely, Segway-mounted or hydrogen-fuel-cell-powered levitation system etc...) -->>>

Oooohhh! "hydrogen-fuel-cell powered levitation system"...now you are talking! In any case, I know the video will really educational and great fun to watch too! I'm looking forward to it.

Brad Richmond
June 2nd, 2004, 10:17 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : Brad, pics size of 640 x 480 pixels are fine. Please make them clear and sharp :) The best pics always produce better when printed. Thanks. -->>>

Charles K.,

If you don't mind, I'm going to wait until my new D-70 arrives before I shoot your pics, should be later this week. If you need them sooner that's fine too, I can go ahead and shoot some and then send you the upgrades later. Let me know.

Charles King
June 4th, 2004, 05:16 AM
No problem Brad. I'll wait. Thanks

Brad Richmond
June 10th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Charles K. I finally shot a few pics, sorry for the delay. I have put them on my website where you can download them. Go to:

http://www.doubledogsvideo.com/glidecam/

Let me know if this works for you. If it's not exactly what you have in mind I can easily shoot a few more. If a neutral background works better I can arrange that.

Charles King
June 11th, 2004, 05:00 AM
thanks Brad. They look great. At least from the computer I'm veiwing them from. When I get home on the 22 of june I'll down load them and add them to the book. If you've done any modification please explain them in an email to me. Thanks buddy. Any other modification that might be vital to the book, please don't hesitate to take pics and send them to me. Great job. I am half way through the book. Things are looking good.

Andrew Petrie
June 13th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Ack, sorry I didn't come across this thread before! Is there any other info you need about the V16?

Charles King
June 14th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Sure Andrew. I would like any pics you may have of your Glidecam V16 sled. Basically, if you've made any modification then I would love to have some pics of them. As the subject of this post details, I am going to use them in my book that I am in the process of writing at this moment. It's about modifying the sled to be able to function as a modular system. Simply put. Easy fore/aft adjustments on both battery and monitor.

Charles King
June 23rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Okay, another question for you v16/v20 owners. How long is the lower post? the one that slides inside the main or the outter post.

Andrew, how are those modified pics coming along?

Charles King
July 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Okay, it seems those owners are not responding. Here I go again:

How long is the lower post of the glidecam v-16/20 series? the one that slides inside the main or the outter post.

Andrew, how are those modified pics coming along?

Brad Richmond
July 3rd, 2004, 06:14 PM
Okay Charles K...you have harassed me into action. I could be relaxing, drinking a cool beer, but nooooo, I have to take my V-16 apart and measure the d*** lower post! This is going to take at least five minutes! Now I will have to spend all day tomorrow putting it back together and resetting my drop time. The weekend is shot! <G>

So here it comes. Drum roll, please.

The lower post measures, from the base....

12 5/8 inches
(My son says it's actually 1/32 less than that, and his eyes are better than mine)

Metric:

1/2 mm shy of 32 cm

Funny thing, but now I feel better. A great burden has been lifted from my shoulders. I'm kinda looking forward to putting the post back together, it will be a bonding experience for both me and my V-16. Maybe I'll even work on the dynamic balance while I'm at it. If I go really crazy, I'll strap it on and do some flying. <G>

Andrew, better get on those modified pics! Take my word for it, it will remove a great burden from your shoulders, like taking the V-16 off after a two-hour shoot :-)

Charles King
July 3rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Good one Brad. I knew there was something going on between you and your rig ;) Thanks alot.

Another question for you. I know I'm full of them. :)

I see that that you use the Anton Bauer battery mount with your rig. Just to be certain. It is not the olg version, is it? I'm guessing you are using the golg mount which can be unscrewed from the base. Am I right?

Are you using the 10A output to power the monitor? Can the cable be purchased seperately and where?

Thanks for your time. I'm trying to wrap up the modification book for the V-series so that's why I'm asking.

Brad Richmond
July 7th, 2004, 06:17 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : ... I see that that you use the Anton Bauer battery mount with your rig. Just to be certain. It is not the olg version, is it? I'm guessing you are using the golg mount which can be unscrewed from the base. Am I right? -->>

Charles, you are right, it is the gold mount, and is mounted to the base with four small machine screws.

<<-- Are you using the 10A output to power the monitor? Can the cable be purchased seperately and where? -->>

The input to the L7 Pro Monitor is marked:

12VDC 1.0A

The battery is:

Anton Bauer ProFormer Nickel Cadmium Battery
with 14.4V/30 WH

I don't know if the cable can be purchased separately or not. It is marked "Anton Bauer Power Tap".

Anything else I can do to help, just let me know. I'm looking forward to the book!

Charles King
July 7th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.

"The input to the L7 Pro Monitor is marked: 12VDC 1.0A"

...but it is still getting it's power directly from the Anton Bauer mount, right? I understand it is drawing 1.0A from the 10A output which is the maximum it can drawdirectly from the output.

Did your cable come with Glidecam when you purchased it?

BTW, here is a link to the cover of the book I'm doing for the Glidecam modifications.

Book 1: http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/3book.jpg

...and here's another:

Book 2 : http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/2book.jpg

Brad Richmond
July 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Charles K,

Sorry for the slow reply. The cable for the monitor-to-Anton Bauer did come with the Glidecam.

The cover to your book looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Charles King
July 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Well Brad the book is already up for sale. Thanks for the info.

Andrew Petrie
July 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Richmond :
Andrew, better get on those modified pics! Take my word for it, it will remove a great burden from your shoulders, like taking the V-16 off after a two-hour shoot :-) -->>>

I finally come back to DVi, to find some crazy people hounding me for modified pics? What modified pics? I checked the whole thread, nowhere did I say I had a modified rig/pics. I'm confuzzled!

I am however; interested in modifying the bottom sled because I dislike the rectangular profile.

Brad Richmond
July 20th, 2004, 03:33 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : Okay, another question for you v16/v20 owners. How long is the lower post? the one that slides inside the main or the outter post.
Andrew, how are those modified pics coming along? -->>>

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Petrie : I finally come back to DVi, to find some crazy people hounding me for modified pics? What modified pics? I checked the whole thread, nowhere did I say I had a modified rig/pics. I'm confuzzled! -->>>

Andrew,
You are right about me, I probably am crazy! I think Charles K. thought you had some modified pics. When I finally got around to sending him some stuff he had been asking me for, I tagged you on there. Sorry about that. I guess I was totally confoundulated on that one!

Now that Charles K's book is out, we can both do some modifications and THEN send him some pictures!

Norman Woo
July 22nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Charles

Another book!!! And a third one on the way!!! Boy you are busy. What time do you have for flying your rig? I just finished reading your first book and boy your rig looks awesome.

Anyways I'm heading over to Cafe Press to order your second book which is closer to my heart as I own the Glidecam V16 and am ready to do some serious modding.

Charles King
July 23rd, 2004, 01:15 AM
Well Norman, that's the thing. I usually don't have time but no worries because I refurbishing my arm and sled. The new parts arer't ready yet. Hopefully by the end of august.

The third book will be a pic gallery show-casing the new look of the sled and arm. As a matter of fact you do get the second book then you will see how the new sled will look.

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the book. Glad you enjoyed it and hoped it offered you with the info you needed.