Glidecam V16/V20 owners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Glidecam V16/V20 owners

Hi all. I'm working on my next book about modifying the bottom of the sled of the Glidecam V16 and V20 models. The modification is to make the V16/V20 more modular with the integretion of a sliding mechanism for fore and aft adjustments.

Now, I seem to forget if the bottom post, that is soldered to the base plate, is removable? I noticed the clamp at the bottom, so therefore it can be extended but what I don't know is, if the bottom half can be completely removed from the main post.

Anybody can verify this? Andrew or Casey? If anyone as some close up pics to share I'll be grateful. In fact I'll be happy :)

If you like I could put a couple in my book. Thanks

Old May 25th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Charles,

Yes the bottom half of the post (with the base welded on), can be completely removed from the upper section of the post.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Casey :) Is the clamp also removable? What is the size of the main post?
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Charles,

I don't have a V-16 with me here at my house, and I'm sitting here racking my brain to answer even those basic questions and you know what, I can't. I was about to take an educated guess, but I don't want to give you any incorrect information. So, for right now, I can promise you that I will find out at some point tommorow the answers to your questions. Unless, one of our users who actually does have a V-16 sitting in their house wants to chime in between now and then!

Old May 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the help casey. I'll be waiting.
Maybe those who have the rig can tell me but it seems no one is responding to this question. I sknow some people here do have this rig but do not want to respond. Aah well. I guess I'll have to wait for you Casey.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Charles,

I have the V16 so here you go:

- Bottom post is welded to the base plate
- Bottom post can be completely removed
- Bottom clamp can be completely removed

Measurements:

TOP POST
Length Approx. - 21 1/2" long
Outside diameter - 1 1/4"
Inside Diameter - 1 1/16"

BOTTOM POST
Outside diameter - Slightly < 1 1/16"
Inside diameter - 5/8"

Don't do any machining until somebody double-checks my measurements, as I've only had two cups of coffee this morning. Let me know if you need pictures.

While you are at it, have you ever considered designing, making, and/or selling a "pitch adjustment block adaptor" for the V-16. In other words, an adjustable block, that fits into the V16 vest and accepts the V-16 arm. I would think there is a market for such a device, I know I would be interested.

BTW - I bought a copy of "Homebuilt Stabilizer...stabilizing a dream". Very nice book! As a V-16 owner, I am certainly looking forward to your next book.
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks alot Brad. Really appreciate it. I will love some pics of the base plate, preferably a close-up shot, a full profile of the sled and any modifications you have made.
I would also like your permission to use some pics if it comes to that.

"While you are at it, have you ever considered designing, making, and/or selling a "pitch adjustment block adaptor" for the V-16. In other words, an adjustable block, that fits into the V16 vest and accepts the V-16 arm. I would think there is a market for such a device, I know I would be interested."

Well, speaking of the devil :) I've been working on something like that for my own vest. I've managed to come up with rough design for a fore and aft pitch adjustment. You probably have seen it it in my book. I'm also trying to improve on the version you saw in my book. I must say that it makes such a difference in controlling the arm.

BTW, thanks for purchasing the book. I am glad you took your hard earned money and made the purchase. Thanks again.

Now, I'm working on the side-to-side pitch. It's taking some time as I'm trying to figure out how it will be positioned to reduce the stress on the bracket itself. As for the V16/V20, I'm working out a design but the connection for the arm on the vest doesn't make it easy. It's just a matter of time. After all, I've been at this for almost 8 years now and I'm still at it :) Will keep everyone updated.

"BTW - I bought a copy of "Homebuilt Stabilizer...stabilizing a dream". Very nice book! As a V-16 owner, I am certainly looking forward to your next book."

I think you will be happy witht he results I have planned for the V16/V20 modification. The procedure will be simple to adapt and you will be glad you did the modification. So far I'm 2/4 of the way through the book.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
After all, I've been at this for almost 8 years now and I'm still at it :) Will keep everyone updated.
Charles,

With all this designing, building, and writing (books), do you have some time left to shoot some videos?!? :-)

By the way, I just ordered your book on cafepress.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Ah, looks like I'm off the hook...thanks for posting the specs, Brad.

Old May 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #10
Major Player

"With all this designing, building, and writing (books), do you have some time left to shoot some videos?!? :-)"

It doesn't seem like it does it? :) Well, I'm working on a music video video shoot that has been put off for awhile. I have just been so caught up with this homebuilding thing that my girlfriend things I'm cheating on her. :)
What can I say. I'm addicted ;)

BTW, thanks for purchasing the book. I appreciate it :)

Casey, thanks for your help. Any info you might have that could be useful please let me know.

If anyone has pics of their V16 or V20 or any modifications they want to share please send them. :)

Another thing. What is the size of the the screw thread used in the clamp to hold the lower post together?
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #11
Wrangler

<<So far I'm 2/4 of the way through the book.>>

Charles, let us know when you get to the halfway mark then, OK old boy?

Ah but seriously, I'm nearly done with writing the script for my absurdly dragging-on instructional DVD--hoping to shoot the bloody thing in the next month.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Good one Charles :)

Good to hear about you instructional dvd is almost in the works. I can't wait for it. ;)
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Brad, will you be sending me those pics? I don't know if you read my reponse to your post yet.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : Brad, will you be sending me those pics? I don't know if you read my reponse to your post yet. -->>>

Yes. I will try and get on it this weekend. Let me know what size you want the files to be. Of course you can use the pics however you like.

I haven't made any modifications to my V-16 yet. I've been waiting for you to design them for me. <G>
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #15
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : <<Ah but seriously, I'm nearly done with writing the script for my absurdly dragging-on instructional DVD--hoping to shoot the bloody thing in the next month. -->>>

Hurry up Charles! I'll be 53 in July, and I'm not sure that I will have much use for your video by the time I turn 70. Maybe you should include a segment on how to mount a stabilizer to a walker! <G>
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)