View Full Version : Does your AG-DVC30 Rattle when tipped?

Denis Beaubois
August 7th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Hi I have recently purchased a Panasonic AG-DVC 30 however I have found that the camera rattles when it is tipped lens up and lens down when the power is off. As soon as the unit is switched to camera the rattling sound is no longer there. It can also be heard when the unit is on VCR mode. I was wondering wether this is standard in all units or wether I have a faulty camera. I would appreciate if any owners of the same model could inform me wether their machine displays similar behaviour.

Awaiting with anticipation
Denis

Mark Phillips
August 7th, 2004, 07:25 AM
I noticed that in mine, but I read somewhere, either in this forum or dvxuser.com that the DVX100 does this also and it is apparently normal. I don't remember the reason given other than all of the cameras do this.

Mark Phillips
August 7th, 2004, 07:44 AM
OK, I did some further looking...the noise is the OIS (optical stabilizer)...you will only hear it rattle when the power is off. Also, on page 83 of the manual it mentions this...hope you are enjoying the new camera!

Peter Jefferson
August 7th, 2004, 08:00 AM
WOOHOO!! It seems that it runs the same Gyro as the dvx.. :) NICE...

yeah that tapping sound is happens when theres no battery on the cam.. youll notice that when u put a battery on.. a slight clunk wil be heard.. this si the gyro turning on..

Denis Beaubois
August 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mark,
This puts my mind at ease and now I can get on with some shooting. How did you do such research re Optical stabilizer?. Anyway its brought a big smile to my face.

Thanks again
Denis

Denis Beaubois
August 9th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks Peter also.

Gotta go out and see what the camera can do now!!
Cheers

Alex Gee
August 12th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Hey Denis,
Where did you manage to get one of these babies? I've tried a couple of places but no-one seems to have it, nor can they give a delivery date.

Peter Jefferson
August 12th, 2004, 07:26 AM
theyre only shipped out in alotments of 10... very hard to get right now.. i think theyre monitoring response before go hard with manufacturing..

Alex Gee
August 12th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks Peter. Really fell in love with the dvc but, looks like it'll have to be a VX or XM

Peter Jefferson
August 13th, 2004, 06:48 AM
if it was a choice of VX or XM/GL.. id go the Sony.. simply for the larger CCD...

Sean McHenry
August 15th, 2004, 11:44 PM
If the forum sponsors can't deliver a DVC30, write me. My daytime job is for a supplier of broadcast and post equipment.

In fairness, try the sponsors of these forums first. I am a guest here too so play nice, try them first. If you have no luck there, get in touch with me.

Surely they would like to see you get the gear in your hands if they can't for some reason get one for you. I buy some things from them myself, sometimes for our own customers when we can't get them so I think I'm being fair.

Sean McHenry

Denis Beaubois
August 16th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Hi Alex,
Got one from Lemac in Syd.

I ordered it a while ago though, They are hard to come by. I was originally going to sell mine but decided to keep it. On the day that I picked it up word had gotten out that I may be willing to part with it and I had no shortage of offers!!

Best thing to do id to put your order in and wait I reckon!

d

Alex Gee
August 16th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Hi Denis
The video chaps down in Melbourne now say they expect stock towards the end of the month so I'm going to hang on.
Interesting that you were considering selling yours. Are you glad that you decided to keep it?
AG

Denis Beaubois
August 18th, 2004, 02:36 AM
yep I'm Glad I kept it. Though the xlr adapter & mic are a little expensive

Mike Morrell
August 20th, 2004, 10:00 PM
I ordered my DVC30 the other day from B&H. It will arrive Tuesday. They have them in stock and at a great price. The XLR add on is a bit pricey. But I cannot wait to put it to the test next week. I am hoping that it will be a good companion to my two DVX-100's. DVX-100a coming later this fall for me to, I think. But the 30 is so small that I'm going to use it as my vacation cam too.

Peter Jefferson
August 22nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
hey dennis, where did u get yours??

Denis Beaubois
August 22nd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Hi Peter,

Got mine from Lemac in Syd.

But I ordered it in June and got it end of July, early August.

There is a wait on these products and on its accessories. Awaiting the XLR adapter. Tis should arive Oct. I'm going through Rexel for that.

D

Peter Jefferson
August 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM
yeah rexel are the pro distributor for pana here in oz, they also do the dvx distributions.. but how are u gettin it thru rexel direct?? theyre a supplier to retailers only.. ??

how do u find the cam?? are u using it with any other cam?? im curious to know more about it.. as i REALLY dont want to wait till sept which is 3 commercial shoots and a wedding after the fact...

Wish i had more moola, id just go for another dvx.. :(
mind u i got a spanky pd170 sittin in the showroom which i may be able to borrow.. but id rather use my own gear..

wherabouts in sydney are u mate?

Denis Beaubois
August 23rd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Peter
Have part time job at University. There was a Rexel sales rep selling gear to where I work at the Uni. So I contacted him directly.

Haven't had time to use the camera much yet . Had a friend document 8hrs on it. But it was all done in infra red (The show was in the dark). So I won't get a chance to really use it far about a month. And because I'm stuck with an editing job presently and have some writing to do, shooting won't come about for a while. I have an old TRV 900 but I won't even try to shoot them together, a match up nightmare I reckon.

I'm in Redfern.

Peter Jefferson
August 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
can i ask how much u got it for???

Denis Beaubois
August 23rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
$ 4000
After an arm twist.

Alex Gee
August 24th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Mine turned up today. $3900 without any arm twisting

Denis Beaubois
August 25th, 2004, 01:48 AM
ya win some and loose some!
$3994.00

Stefan Scherperel
August 25th, 2004, 03:35 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Gee : Mine turned up today. $3900 without any arm twisting -->>>

Huh

That's not the price for the camera alone is it?

That's more than a brand new DVX at a super rip off store?

Maybe I read something wrong.

Alex Gee
August 25th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Australian Dollars

Stefan Scherperel
August 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM
ohhh, gotcha.

Alex Gee
August 27th, 2004, 07:43 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Denis Beaubois : ya win some and loose some!
$3994.00 -->>>

For the extra $94 you probably have a [USER 1] button that works properly.
To get mine working I have to press dead centre with a finger nail. Normal finger pressure doesn't do it. Still, 2 buttons out of three is not bad.