View Full Version : Warning: Duel adapter and snow leopard not compatible

Tom Chartrand
August 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
DuelAdapter on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
P2 card in a DuelAdapter is not recognized on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), since there is no DuelAdapter driver software for Mac OS 10.6.
Please use DuelAdapter on 10.5(Leopard).
When using a P2 card on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) of MacBookPro, please use a P2 camera, P2 recoder or P2 drive equiped with USB2.

According to panny website: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/dueladapt_e.htm

Gary Nattrass
August 31st, 2009, 01:10 AM
I have never been able to get mine to work at all, I wish there was a better low/resonable cost solution for ingest into macbook and macpro.

Has anyone found that the native re-wrapping of P2 in final cut studio 3 is quicker than USB ingest to pro res?

Tom Chartrand
August 31st, 2009, 05:48 AM
For me the Duel Adapter is the only solution besides hooking up my 200 directly via FW. or offloading to a USB drive directly form the camera.

I need to be able to offload to my MBP, so for now Snow Leopard's not a logical upgrade.

Haven't gone to 3 yet, but you still have to get the media off of the cards to edit with them. It's not truly "native"

Dan Brockett
August 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM
One more reason Snow Leopard will not be on my laptop for probably a year or more.

Dan

Noah Kadner
September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
If you read through the problems on the boards, you could make the case it was never compatible with any form of OS X for a good number of users...

Noah

Dan Brockett
September 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
I know, that mystifies me. For some reason, my Duel has always worked perfectly and has behaved for me. Yet, I have read a LOT of people have problems with making it work.

Dan

Tom Chartrand
September 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
I know, that mystifies me. For some reason, my Duel has always worked perfectly and has behaved for me. Yet, I have read a LOT of people have problems with making it work.

Dan

Dan, Same here. My Duel has always been fine except when it actually broke. Sure there have been hiccups with different updates, but I've always had no problem with it.

FWIW, Snow Leopard and the Panasonic drivers are fine. I haven't updated my MBP, but on my MacPro tower Snow Leopard is doing fine with FCP 6.0.6 with HDLog and ShotPutPro. I can import card images and everything is fine and speedy too.

Tom

Niels Neeskens
September 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
Mine works perfect as well, sorry to hear that not everybody has the same opinion.

Here's a quote from somebody who called the parties:

I talked to Apple tech. support and Duel tech support about this today.

Apple tech. said they are waiting on Duel and/or Panasonic to provide drivers.

Duel said they were waiting on Panasonic to provide drivers.

I will now call Panasonic.

I just want to know what the time frame is on the driver development. I updated to Snow Leopard on a whim (mistake, yes) on the 28th, and then the Panasonic PASS Support Team sent out there incompatibility notice via email on the 30th- two days after the Snow Leopard release. Thanks for the forewarning guys... Don't people actually work and/or communicate anymore?!

Right now I'm dumping via USB 2.0 from the HPX500, but that does take a long time.

So I guess the all wait for each other for action!

Dan Brockett
September 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Panasonic will tell you that they are waiting for Duel to provide drivers. ;-)

D

Niels Neeskens
September 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Ok, another reaction from somebody:

I received an email today in response to my inquiry to Duel Systems tech support regarding compatibility with Snow Leopard:

"The DuelAdapter is no longer supported under the 10.6 Snow Leopard Operating System. Apple has excluded key features to make our drivers functional, please feel free to contact Apple if you have any complaints or questions based on their decision to stop their DuelDriver support."

I would share my reaction to this response from Duel Systems, but I do not believe it is suitable for printing in a public place.

Kevin

So basically we're screwed...

Steve Phillipps
September 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I only got a DuelAdapter a few weeks ago and it worked, but not with P2CMS, it forced me to restart my computer after about 1gb transfer.
Then I installed the latest P2 driver software from Panny and it works fine now!
Just wondering if that maybe worth a try on Snow Leopard, just make sure absolutely everything is latest version.
Steve

Steve Phillipps
September 10th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Ok, another reaction from somebody:

I received an email today in response to my inquiry to Duel Systems tech support regarding compatibility with Snow Leopard:

"The DuelAdapter is no longer supported under the 10.6 Snow Leopard Operating System. Apple has excluded key features to make our drivers functional, please feel free to contact Apple if you have any complaints or questions based on their decision to stop their DuelDriver support."

I would share my reaction to this response from Duel Systems, but I do not believe it is suitable for printing in a public place.

Kevin

So basically we're screwed...

Apple wants to be careful, as one of its biggest selling feature as far as I'm aware is the way they treat their customers and try to make everything work - unlike Another Company!
If they lose that, they'll start to alienate users.
Steve

Niels Neeskens
September 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I only got a DuelAdapter a few weeks ago and it worked, but not with P2CMS, it forced me to restart my computer after about 1gb transfer.
Then I installed the latest P2 driver software from Panny and it works fine now!
Just wondering if that maybe worth a try on Snow Leopard, just make sure absolutely everything is latest version.
Steve

That's not going to work for SL as it lacks essential drivers for running it (according to Duel Systems), so I don't see how that will change it. It's up to Apple now and till some confirmation about the duel adapter working in SL, I am not updating. A shame though.

Tom Chartrand
September 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Niels,

I got the exact same response a couple of days ago.

Has anyone tried it with today's 10.6.1 update?

Niels Neeskens
September 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I don't know what it is with this adapter, but I cannot rely on it anymore. It worked fine, till two weeks ago. I didn't update to SL at all. Maybe a regular update for my Macbook Pro, but since two weeks it sometimes recognized the adapter and more times it doesn't. I had a shoot today and brought my Macbook Pro with the adapter to offload the footage. Again it didn't recognized it. I was fortunate that I had the time to connect the camera to offload, because the footage fitted on 2 cards. But the situation won't be like that all the time.

Frustrating stuff!

Tom Chartrand
September 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I hear you. One of mine did the same thing til I tried a friends adapter which was fine. I determined the adapter was dead. Got a new one and all's fine.

Tom

Tom Chartrand
September 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
This is ridiculous:

just EXPLAIN WHY.

The DuelAdapter will not work with the 10.6 update.* To get the DuelAdapter to work on your machine you would need to downgrade to 10.5.* There will be no continued support for the 10.6 operating system at anytime.

Thank you for contacting the DuelAdapter email support.

Niels Neeskens
September 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
So now we have to connect the camera all the time! This is killing my workflow...

Dan Brockett
September 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I can tell that there is no love lost between Panasonic, Imagine, Apple with Duel. I have spoken to each of the three and all three have expressed frustration with dealing with Duel.

It seems that Duel just kind of does whatever they want without much regard to all of the P2 owners out there who count on the Duel and their MBP laptops. Simple solution, buy a cheap PCMCIA laptop just for field P2 dumping or buy an old G4 PB.

Dan

Tom Chartrand
September 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
I can tell that there is no love lost between Panasonic, Imagine, Apple with Duel. I have spoken to each of the three and all three have expressed frustration with dealing with Duel.

It seems that Duel just kind of does whatever they want without much regard to all of the P2 owners out there who count on the Duel and their MBP laptops. Simple solution, buy a cheap PCMCIA laptop just for field P2 dumping or buy an old G4 PB.

Dan

I simply don't understand why Duel is he only game in town. Is it an Apple thing? It's really discouraging for new P2 users....I'd hint at some sort of conspiracy but I haven't got my Oliver Stone on yet!

Daniel Epstein
September 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
This is ridiculous:

just EXPLAIN WHY.

The DuelAdapter will not work with the 10.6 update.* To get the DuelAdapter to work on your machine you would need to downgrade to 10.5.* There will be no continued support for the 10.6 operating system at anytime.

Thank you for contacting the DuelAdapter email support.

My guess is the Duel folks don't want to write a new driver if Apple doesn't included the SXS slot on most of their notebooks.

Dan Brockett
September 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
That makes sense, why humor Apple on SL when they basically have screwed Duel out of most sales for their product except for those few who are buying 17" MBPs? Deleting the Expresscard 34 slot on the 13" and 15" MBPs was one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen Apple make.

Dan

Tom Chartrand
September 22nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
From what I know, Apple wrote the drivers and included them in 10.5, then mysteriously dropped them in 10.6. I haven't been able to get any information from Apple as to why.

Dan Brockett
September 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Duel is not the only game in town, they are the only cheap game in town. The upcoming QIO from Sonnet looks to be every P2 shooters dream, but it costs around $1,000.00 versus $129.00 for the Duel. I may end up having to buy one of these, just because it looks to be such a versatile tool.

I may have an upcoming pilot to shoot. three cameras, semi-doc/reality style so I will probably soon be making the painful decision about if the show will work, economically as well as logistically with P2. There is a reason that so many of the low end cable shows shoot on HDV. If you are traveling and or shooting massive amounts of footage, tape is easier to deal with. There, I said it, as much as I LOVE shooting P2, it is much easier for your camera ops to just switch out tapes than to deal with laptops, drives and dumping P2, CF or SxS if you are in a hurry.

The Sony Z7 is used right now to shoot Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and Bizarre Foods/Bizarre World. Interchangeable lens and HDV is plenty good enough quality for Travel Channel.

Guess it will depend on the logistics of my show but I will definitely have to have a line item for P2 tech if we decide to stick with P2. Tough decision.

Dan

Barry Green
September 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Duel is not the only game in town, they are the only cheap game in town.
Depends on what you mean by cheap. For not that much more than the Duel, you can have a complete offloading solution (lenovo s10e netbook with addonics adapter, $350 total expense and it'll store 160GB of offloaded data... think of it as a super-turbo P2 Store for 1/5 the price). Add a $40 gig-E USB adapter and you can use it as a desktop slot reader on your Mac. Or use external USB drives, offload directly to them, and plug them right into your Mac to edit.

The upcoming QIO from Sonnet looks to be every P2 shooters dream, but it costs around $1,000.00 versus $129.00 for the Duel.
But not for those who use the new MBP 13" or 15". It has no way to connect to one of those.

Other choices, as mentioned before: use the camera as an offloader, or get a PCD20 or P2 Store or P2 Gear, or a Powerbook G4, or a Windows PCMCIA-equipped laptop, or a Windows ExpressCard laptop with either the Duel or Addonics adapters. Or use the new Nexto box which directly offloads P2 cards through the use of its own adapter.