Warning: Duel adapter and snow leopard not compatible at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Warning: Duel adapter and snow leopard not compatible

DuelAdapter on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
P2 card in a DuelAdapter is not recognized on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), since there is no DuelAdapter driver software for Mac OS 10.6.
Please use DuelAdapter on 10.5(Leopard).
When using a P2 card on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) of MacBookPro, please use a P2 camera, P2 recoder or P2 drive equiped with USB2.

According to panny website: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...ueladapt_e.htm
Tom Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Trustee

I have never been able to get mine to work at all, I wish there was a better low/resonable cost solution for ingest into macbook and macpro.

Has anyone found that the native re-wrapping of P2 in final cut studio 3 is quicker than USB ingest to pro res?
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For me the Duel Adapter is the only solution besides hooking up my 200 directly via FW. or offloading to a USB drive directly form the camera.

I need to be able to offload to my MBP, so for now Snow Leopard's not a logical upgrade.

Haven't gone to 3 yet, but you still have to get the media off of the cards to edit with them. It's not truly "native"
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

One more reason Snow Leopard will not be on my laptop for probably a year or more.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Better than Halle Berry

If you read through the problems on the boards, you could make the case it was never compatible with any form of OS X for a good number of users...

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I know, that mystifies me. For some reason, my Duel has always worked perfectly and has behaved for me. Yet, I have read a LOT of people have problems with making it work.

Dan
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I know, that mystifies me. For some reason, my Duel has always worked perfectly and has behaved for me. Yet, I have read a LOT of people have problems with making it work.

Dan
Dan, Same here. My Duel has always been fine except when it actually broke. Sure there have been hiccups with different updates, but I've always had no problem with it.

FWIW, Snow Leopard and the Panasonic drivers are fine. I haven't updated my MBP, but on my MacPro tower Snow Leopard is doing fine with FCP 6.0.6 with HDLog and ShotPutPro. I can import card images and everything is fine and speedy too.

Tom
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Mine works perfect as well, sorry to hear that not everybody has the same opinion.

Here's a quote from somebody who called the parties:

I talked to Apple tech. support and Duel tech support about this today.

Apple tech. said they are waiting on Duel and/or Panasonic to provide drivers.

Duel said they were waiting on Panasonic to provide drivers.

I will now call Panasonic.

I just want to know what the time frame is on the driver development. I updated to Snow Leopard on a whim (mistake, yes) on the 28th, and then the Panasonic PASS Support Team sent out there incompatibility notice via email on the 30th- two days after the Snow Leopard release. Thanks for the forewarning guys... Don't people actually work and/or communicate anymore?!

Right now I'm dumping via USB 2.0 from the HPX500, but that does take a long time.

So I guess the all wait for each other for action!
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Panasonic will tell you that they are waiting for Duel to provide drivers. ;-)

D
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ok, another reaction from somebody:

I received an email today in response to my inquiry to Duel Systems tech support regarding compatibility with Snow Leopard:

"The DuelAdapter is no longer supported under the 10.6 Snow Leopard Operating System. Apple has excluded key features to make our drivers functional, please feel free to contact Apple if you have any complaints or questions based on their decision to stop their DuelDriver support."

I would share my reaction to this response from Duel Systems, but I do not believe it is suitable for printing in a public place.

Kevin

So basically we're screwed...
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I only got a DuelAdapter a few weeks ago and it worked, but not with P2CMS, it forced me to restart my computer after about 1gb transfer.
Then I installed the latest P2 driver software from Panny and it works fine now!
Just wondering if that maybe worth a try on Snow Leopard, just make sure absolutely everything is latest version.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels Neeskens View Post
Ok, another reaction from somebody:

I received an email today in response to my inquiry to Duel Systems tech support regarding compatibility with Snow Leopard:

"The DuelAdapter is no longer supported under the 10.6 Snow Leopard Operating System. Apple has excluded key features to make our drivers functional, please feel free to contact Apple if you have any complaints or questions based on their decision to stop their DuelDriver support."

I would share my reaction to this response from Duel Systems, but I do not believe it is suitable for printing in a public place.

Kevin

So basically we're screwed...
Apple wants to be careful, as one of its biggest selling feature as far as I'm aware is the way they treat their customers and try to make everything work - unlike Another Company!
If they lose that, they'll start to alienate users.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I only got a DuelAdapter a few weeks ago and it worked, but not with P2CMS, it forced me to restart my computer after about 1gb transfer.
Then I installed the latest P2 driver software from Panny and it works fine now!
Just wondering if that maybe worth a try on Snow Leopard, just make sure absolutely everything is latest version.
Steve
That's not going to work for SL as it lacks essential drivers for running it (according to Duel Systems), so I don't see how that will change it. It's up to Apple now and till some confirmation about the duel adapter working in SL, I am not updating. A shame though.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Niels,

I got the exact same response a couple of days ago.

Has anyone tried it with today's 10.6.1 update?
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I don't know what it is with this adapter, but I cannot rely on it anymore. It worked fine, till two weeks ago. I didn't update to SL at all. Maybe a regular update for my Macbook Pro, but since two weeks it sometimes recognized the adapter and more times it doesn't. I had a shoot today and brought my Macbook Pro with the adapter to offload the footage. Again it didn't recognized it. I was fortunate that I had the time to connect the camera to offload, because the footage fitted on 2 cards. But the situation won't be like that all the time.

Frustrating stuff!
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders