Warning: Duel adapter and snow leopard not compatible - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I hear you. One of mine did the same thing til I tried a friends adapter which was fine. I determined the adapter was dead. Got a new one and all's fine.

Tom
Tom Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Latest word

This is ridiculous:

just EXPLAIN WHY.

The DuelAdapter will not work with the 10.6 update.* To get the DuelAdapter to work on your machine you would need to downgrade to 10.5.* There will be no continued support for the 10.6 operating system at anytime.

Thank you for contacting the DuelAdapter email support.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18
Regular Crew

So now we have to connect the camera all the time! This is killing my workflow...
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I can tell that there is no love lost between Panasonic, Imagine, Apple with Duel. I have spoken to each of the three and all three have expressed frustration with dealing with Duel.

It seems that Duel just kind of does whatever they want without much regard to all of the P2 owners out there who count on the Duel and their MBP laptops. Simple solution, buy a cheap PCMCIA laptop just for field P2 dumping or buy an old G4 PB.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I can tell that there is no love lost between Panasonic, Imagine, Apple with Duel. I have spoken to each of the three and all three have expressed frustration with dealing with Duel.

It seems that Duel just kind of does whatever they want without much regard to all of the P2 owners out there who count on the Duel and their MBP laptops. Simple solution, buy a cheap PCMCIA laptop just for field P2 dumping or buy an old G4 PB.

Dan
I simply don't understand why Duel is he only game in town. Is it an Apple thing? It's really discouraging for new P2 users....I'd hint at some sort of conspiracy but I haven't got my Oliver Stone on yet!
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chartrand View Post
This is ridiculous:

just EXPLAIN WHY.

The DuelAdapter will not work with the 10.6 update.* To get the DuelAdapter to work on your machine you would need to downgrade to 10.5.* There will be no continued support for the 10.6 operating system at anytime.

Thank you for contacting the DuelAdapter email support.
My guess is the Duel folks don't want to write a new driver if Apple doesn't included the SXS slot on most of their notebooks.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM   #22
Inner Circle

That makes sense, why humor Apple on SL when they basically have screwed Duel out of most sales for their product except for those few who are buying 17" MBPs? Deleting the Expresscard 34 slot on the 13" and 15" MBPs was one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen Apple make.

Dan
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:20 AM   #23
Regular Crew

From what I know, Apple wrote the drivers and included them in 10.5, then mysteriously dropped them in 10.6. I haven't been able to get any information from Apple as to why.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Duel is not the only game in town, they are the only cheap game in town. The upcoming QIO from Sonnet looks to be every P2 shooters dream, but it costs around $1,000.00 versus $129.00 for the Duel. I may end up having to buy one of these, just because it looks to be such a versatile tool.

I may have an upcoming pilot to shoot. three cameras, semi-doc/reality style so I will probably soon be making the painful decision about if the show will work, economically as well as logistically with P2. There is a reason that so many of the low end cable shows shoot on HDV. If you are traveling and or shooting massive amounts of footage, tape is easier to deal with. There, I said it, as much as I LOVE shooting P2, it is much easier for your camera ops to just switch out tapes than to deal with laptops, drives and dumping P2, CF or SxS if you are in a hurry.

The Sony Z7 is used right now to shoot Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and Bizarre Foods/Bizarre World. Interchangeable lens and HDV is plenty good enough quality for Travel Channel.

Guess it will depend on the logistics of my show but I will definitely have to have a line item for P2 tech if we decide to stick with P2. Tough decision.

Dan
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM   #25
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Duel is not the only game in town, they are the only cheap game in town.
Depends on what you mean by cheap. For not that much more than the Duel, you can have a complete offloading solution (lenovo s10e netbook with addonics adapter, $350 total expense and it'll store 160GB of offloaded data... think of it as a super-turbo P2 Store for 1/5 the price). Add a $40 gig-E USB adapter and you can use it as a desktop slot reader on your Mac. Or use external USB drives, offload directly to them, and plug them right into your Mac to edit.

Quote:
The upcoming QIO from Sonnet looks to be every P2 shooters dream, but it costs around $1,000.00 versus $129.00 for the Duel.
But not for those who use the new MBP 13" or 15". It has no way to connect to one of those.

Other choices, as mentioned before: use the camera as an offloader, or get a PCD20 or P2 Store or P2 Gear, or a Powerbook G4, or a Windows PCMCIA-equipped laptop, or a Windows ExpressCard laptop with either the Duel or Addonics adapters. Or use the new Nexto box which directly offloads P2 cards through the use of its own adapter.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders