May 30th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Good that it works Daniel. Perhaps newer cards have less
trouble with video on another monitor.

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Such a thing does exist but they are integrated into the base
of Windows. So you will not have an option to point them out
(basically). Only way that I know off to get those back is to
re-install XP and don't install those other drivers. Sorry.

If I remember correctly Texas Instrument drivers are not
compatible indeed with all the applications out there that
support Microsoft's driver. Get rid of it!

Glen Elliott
May 30th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Ed, yeah I did it last night and it worked- hehe, I even had to re-choose A/B workspace again. I was a bit startled at first when I clicked to open recent projects and none of them were there. At first I opened them from the "project archive" in the Premiere folder but it had a bizzare name like "wedding~1" thru "wedding~4". I then realized the location I should have pointed Premiere to was the video drive...it saves my project files in the same place it captures my clips to. So what is the "project archive" for?...To go back to an earlier saved version of the project?

Rob, I think my audio problem stems from the fact I use Premiere with hardware support via Pinnacle's DV500. I found an exerpt in the knowledge base on Adobe's website that stated the Audio Mixer doesn't work when using the DV500. And now that I think of it- that odd glitch (with the audio mixer loading in the history palette when playing clips on the timeline, w/no sound) started after I tried using the audio mixer.
Now I'm really starting to wonder if the DV500 is really worth it. After all it's not even a full-time real-time card. I'll just miss the break-out-box which allows me to monitor my edits on a television.
With Premiere 6.5 can you output the timeline via firewire to a mini-dv cam and then to the TV to acheive the same result?

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2003, 08:20 AM
I don't believe you will need a copy of the track to set motion
for it. Keep in mind that you might need to razor the clip if you
only want a certain part changed (unless you have individual
clips for each take/scene).

Thanks for the tip though! I myself was using After Effects for
this on some tests I did. Couldn't find an easy way in Premiere.
I am using a bitmap mask for the widescreen effect, not the titler.

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Premiere 6.x can indeed do that. I don't know if performance
is good when going through your cam, try it out!

Glen Elliott
May 30th, 2003, 08:36 AM
What do you mean by the performance being bad going through the camera?
How else are we to monitor the video- using a computer monitor is so innacurate! ugh
I know I could use a professional NTSC monitor but wouldn't I have to connect it in a similar way or do those monitors have IEEE input. What's a round-about price for a decent 12" NTSC editing monitor?

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I had performance problems in the updating of my video window
on the computer self when my camera was hooked up. Also
Premiere seemed to be a bit "slower" in operation.

Perhaps a Digital->Analog converter would be faster, or a
firewire card with analog out.

Ed Smith
May 30th, 2003, 09:55 AM
All you need is to place the video in Video track 1 and the wide screen mask in track 2 then apply a transform filter (found in the Distort folder, I think) to the video in track 1 and move the position down slightly in the monitor window. This way you do not have to worry about matching the first and last frame in the motion editor.

thanks,

Ed Smith

Glen Elliott
May 30th, 2003, 10:15 AM
I have a capture card with analog out but am unhappy with the apparent instability it (the DV500) adds to an already somewhat moody program to begin with. Why couldn't Premiere be as rock-solid as Photoshop! lol

Anyway- do they make standard capture cards with analog out without without it being tied into drivers that intigrate with Premiere like Pinnacle's DV500 does?

Kevin Foristal
May 31st, 2003, 07:45 AM
I want to go to dual monitors. Can you guys recommend a good agp vid card? I have an Nvidia Geforce4 with s-out. I take it I need a dual head vga out card of some sort?

Charles King
May 31st, 2003, 08:47 AM
Go for the Matrox G550 card or if you can afford it, then the Matrox 750 will be your best bet. It supports three monitors or dual monitor plus a tv/monitor out so you can view your previews, all from one card.

Adrian Douglas
May 31st, 2003, 09:22 PM
A couple of ponts to remember when buyng cards is be sure that the card you want to buy is compatable with your other hardware, like capture card, sound card etc.

The other point is that for a video system you don't need huge amounts of video RAM, a 32MB card is enough as long as you don't plan on doing 3D modeling or gaming on the system as well.

Rob Lohman
June 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
I do think that most cards with analog in/out have special drivers
and such. Don't think there exists one without. But, I might be
wrong on this.

Seth Peterson
June 2nd, 2003, 11:24 PM
I've got a Dell with XP pro. I haven't d/l the two service packs put out since my purchase because I'm wondering if there are any problems with the upgrade upsetting Premiere. I only say this because I have 1 trillion hours of edits and projects. If anybody has heard of anything or installed the service packs let me know. By the way, my version of XP is the one that doesn't have power point.

Glen Elliott
June 3rd, 2003, 04:49 AM
Well I don't know if this is a help but I run Premiere 6.02 on XP and I've downloaded all service packs.......no problems here.

Kevin Foristal
June 3rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
Running 6.5 W/ All service packs....no probs.

Jan Roovers
June 3rd, 2003, 07:24 AM
no problems here

Adrian Douglas
June 3rd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Why do you want to download the service packs? SP1 was nothing but trouble and SP2 hasn't been out that long. If you are not having problems with your OS then I wouldn't bother with the SPs

Nigel Moore
June 3rd, 2003, 11:03 AM
The importance in SPs is greater if your PC's used to access the Internet. The SPs include all the current fixes to M$'s OS, which normally leaks security like a seive. Added to the fact that Windows is the hackers favourite target. If the PC is not net connected, SPs are generally of lower value.my version of XP is the one that doesn't have power pointPerhaps I'm being thick here, but all versions of Windows come without PowerPoint.

Adrian Douglas
June 3rd, 2003, 11:10 AM
Nigel,

If your using Windows and are connect to the net then you are exposing your files no matter what SP you have. Unless you are hiding behind a combination of hardware and software firewalls then your at risk. Simply cruising pages opens your machine to exploitation. SP1 caused more problems that it caused, if your worried about security then dl the individual security hotfixes.

Nigel Moore
June 3rd, 2003, 12:22 PM
I do use a dedicated firewall server. But thanks for the general advice to all.

I'm a bit worried about your statement on SP1, however. Although I don't currently use XP, I have just bought it for the dedicated edit box that I'm building (required for EncoreDVD). Unfortunately, my version proudly proclaims that it includes SP1!

Imran Zaidi
June 3rd, 2003, 12:43 PM
If you have a CD that claims to have SP1 included, then you can rest assured that it will be fine.

The problems with SP1 was when it first came out and it was being installed as an upgrade. MS has since fixed all the weird bugaboos with that service pack, and you should be fine.

Nigel Moore
June 3rd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Cheers, Imran. That's reassuring to know! :-)

Adrian Douglas
June 3rd, 2003, 08:45 PM
SP 1 had a bunch of minor issues plus a major one with the Java Virtual Machine. It was corrected for the SP1 CD Release of XP as Imran said but the DL SP was shocking.

Bill Ravens
June 4th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Not sure you guys know what you're talking about. Windoze XP has only released sp1. There's a leaked version of the beta sp2 available on the net, but, one would have to be crazy to use beta leaked software from M$.

Imran Zaidi
June 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Yes, never EVER use anything beta on a serious workstation, and definitely never use a beta from Microsoft.

Alex Taylor
June 5th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I'll bring this post up one more time..

I think the problem may be my camera. I went over with my hard drive and tried it on a friend's computer, and my camera didn't recognize. Theirs, however, worked fine (they have a Panasonic DV200 or something, I have a Canon ZR20). I should have expected something like this; I lent my camera to my friend a few weeks ago, and he said that when he connected the camera to his G4 it would freeze up.

Is this sort of problem fixable? I believe the camera is still under warranty..

As soon as I can, I'm going to borrow my friend's camera and try it on my firewire card to make sure it's my camera.

Rob Lohman
June 6th, 2003, 07:21 AM
If you isolate the problem to your camera I would send it in
(before the warranty expires) to have it fixed. It should work
ofcourse. If it doesn't work on 3 differenct computers something
must be faulty. Did you try different cables? If not your cable
might be culprit as well.

Walter Chang
June 6th, 2003, 03:53 PM
For some reason when I try to load up premiere it starts quitting on me while its loading. This just started happening today when i've been using it for quite a while now. I tried reinstalling again but the same thing is occuring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to be now quitting when it reaches eps importer

Keith Loh
June 6th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Sounds like corrupted elements. If it is in the plugins, remove the plugins directory temporarily and then start it up. Then put them in one by one to narrow it down. Or if you don't have the time, reinstall the whole thing.

Alex Taylor
June 6th, 2003, 09:37 PM
If you tried re-installing it and it still does the same thing, it's obviously not anything in the program. What kind of things have you changed since this has started to happen? Any new hardware/software, etc?

Kevin Foristal
June 7th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I encoded my 30 minute documentary yesterday and much to my dismay (after 22 hours of rendering) the audio gradually lost sync. Towards the end of the doc it was about 5 seconds off. Is there a more stable encoder. Also, I can use TMPEG. The question is what kind of file should I out put the premiere project to that is TMPEG freindly. It didn't like microsoft DV. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kev

Jan Roovers
June 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Once i had problems also and reinstalling did not help.
I did it again but removed/deleted the personal settings for Premiere. I work with Win XP and found them under documents and settings - Application Data - Adobe - Premiere.

May be it will help for you too.

Jan

Jan Roovers
June 7th, 2003, 11:59 AM
I use the latest MPEG encoder form Adobe and it never let me down. It has very well improved. I prefer this encoder now above TMPGenc.

For TMPGenc you must go to options- VFAPI plug-in and raise the priority for direct Show Multimedia File Reader to 1 (or2)
to work with Adobe and Win XP.

( I work with win XP)

Kevin Foristal
June 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking of getting the mainconcept standalone. It looks stable and main concept has never let me down.

I need to also check the sampling I guess to make sure the rates are the same.

I forgot to include my system specs:

Dell 4550 P4 2.4ghz
1GB Ram
Prem 6.5
Sony DRU-500A DVD burner.
Vegas DVD Arch (maybe vegas doesn't like adobe?? hehe)

Christopher Hughes
June 7th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Anyone know if in Adobe Premiere 6.5 you can do a Pic in Pic or mix two video sources together to appear together on the screen? I have seen it done briefly at a Video Fair, but it was on Pinnacle Edition I believe. So is there a way to do it on Premiere 6.5??

Thanks!

Christopher Hughes
June 7th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Also once you mix these footage together can you re-size one smaller and have the other one full screen or use up the rest of the space. Kind of like the split screen stuff of 24, or like sports converage, etc.

K. Forman
June 7th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Cristopher- Depending on the complexity of what you are trying to achieve, it can be real simple. I would lay the clip that you want to be full screen in track 2. The clip to be displayed as a PIP goes in track 1. In the clips properties, select motion setup. This will allow you to resize and position it however you want, showing track 2 as a background behind it. It will take some playing to get it the way you want, but not too awful. Of course, there are other ways to do it, this is just the method I use most.

Keith Loh
June 7th, 2003, 08:15 PM
By the way, what you want to attempt is monkey work using Adobe After Effects. It's too easy.

Kevin Foristal
June 8th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Problem Solved. I switched to the MainConcept Codec and MPEG Encoder. This thing is unreal. It save the file that took the Adobe encoder 22 hours in 31 minutes. The audio is in sync and the resulting picture on the burned DVD is incredible.

I would recommend this combination to anyone based on my results.

Jan Roovers
June 8th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Do you mean that you switched to the DV-codec form mainconcept? Is it an improvement?

Does the standalone version render better MPeg as the pugin version?

Jan

Christopher Hughes
June 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks for your help Keiths!!!!

Yeah I wish I had After Effects, but alas money a bit tight at moment. I'll give it a try using motion set-up. Last time I tried something with that it seemed to just crop the image...but probably did something wrong.

James Emory
June 8th, 2003, 11:57 AM
You can definitely use the motion filter, but an easier way would be to just drop a square wipe transition between the clips and use the position dot in the settings screen to place frame where you want it. Just make sure both values are the same so it doesn't jump.

Ed Smith
June 8th, 2003, 12:05 PM
I find the easiest way to do Pic in Pic with Premiere is to use the Transform Filter in the video folder Distort. This way you can scale down as much or as little as you want. You also have more control over where you want the 'picture' to be placed - because you use the monitor window in premiere to place where you want it to appear.

If however you want it to appear from left to right I would use the motion control.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

Kevin Foristal
June 8th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Hey Jan,

I updated to the MC DV codec and I got the standalone MPEG encoder. As far as I could see the quality is better and the speed that it performs is amazing.

Walter Chang
June 8th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I actually did re install the program, but it had no effect at all. I then went and checked if my other adobe products were functioning. For some reason after I opened photoshop and acrobat, premiere started working again. Strange.....

Shane Duff
June 8th, 2003, 03:16 PM
I've been playing around with exporting into Quicktime and have gotten some beautiful finished products. Unfortunately, the filesize is gargantuan. When I start to toy with the settings to bring it down to a manageable - i.e. downloadable - size, the quality drops far below where I need it.

Now, I've seen many a Quicktime movies, all of which are at a better length:size ratio than I can get... any thoughts on export settings? Or perhaps some third party programs that would help?

As usual, any help is loved...
Shane

Jan Roovers
June 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM
In that case I will gonna try this do!
Thanks.

Jan

Keith Loh
June 8th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Use Sorenson codec for QuickTime. That's what the Apple/trailers use. Also, check out Cleaner. It comes as a plugin for Premiere or as a stand alone product. Cleaner helps optimize better than fiddling with it in Premiere.

Keith Loh
June 8th, 2003, 03:35 PM
They may share the same .dlls and other system resources. Perhaps when you restarted using the other products those .dlls were somehow 'refreshed'?