View Full Version : PG-L still supposed to act funny?

Josh Bass
September 17th, 2002, 11:19 PM
I remember reading on another post that some people were having problems with the responsiveness of their zoom controllers. I just bought a PG-L, and it takes it about half a second (timed it with my watch) from the time you depress the rocker all the way until the zoom actually begins, regardless of zoom speed.

I thought I read that Varizoom was fixing these problems, and the newer models wouldn't have them. Do I need to send this puppy back, or get it adjusted or something? Also, using the manual 16x lens, if that makes a difference. Don't plan on using Mr. Stock Lens very much.

Chris Hurd
September 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Call VariZoom on their toll-free number during business hours and ask to speak to Tom Smith. Mention my name and these message boards. Let's see what he has to say about it... maybe possible you got one with the old rocker, not sure.

The stock 16x lens has a slower creeping zoom than the manual 16x lens; some folks (myself included) really like that feature.

Ken Tanaka
September 17th, 2002, 11:59 PM
You must have gotten the Mick Jagger model of PG-L. (old rocker) Sorry...couldn't resist.

Josh Bass
September 18th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Nope nope. . .it's not the speed of the zoom that's the issue--it's the response time. I press the rocker down to either side, all the way, and then about half a second later according to my fine 40 dollar timepiece, the zoom actually starts. I will call Varizoom.

Josh Bass
September 19th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Alright. . .I have tried the controller with my stock lens (before, I was using the manual 16x). Apparently, and this hurts me greatly, the problem is only limited to the manual lens.

Is there any fix for this? I talked to Tom Smith and he said it might be an issue with the manual lens (this was before I tried it with the ISII). Well, he was right.

I like the controller, but hate the stock lens and try to use it as little as possible. Anyone else encountered this problem?