PG-L still supposed to act funny? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 17th, 2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

PG-L still supposed to act funny?

I remember reading on another post that some people were having problems with the responsiveness of their zoom controllers. I just bought a PG-L, and it takes it about half a second (timed it with my watch) from the time you depress the rocker all the way until the zoom actually begins, regardless of zoom speed.

I thought I read that Varizoom was fixing these problems, and the newer models wouldn't have them. Do I need to send this puppy back, or get it adjusted or something? Also, using the manual 16x lens, if that makes a difference. Don't plan on using Mr. Stock Lens very much.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Call VariZoom on their toll-free number during business hours and ask to speak to Tom Smith. Mention my name and these message boards. Let's see what he has to say about it... maybe possible you got one with the old rocker, not sure.

The stock 16x lens has a slower creeping zoom than the manual 16x lens; some folks (myself included) really like that feature.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 11:59 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You must have gotten the Mick Jagger model of PG-L. (old rocker) Sorry...couldn't resist.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 12:53 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

Nope nope. . .it's not the speed of the zoom that's the issue--it's the response time. I press the rocker down to either side, all the way, and then about half a second later according to my fine 40 dollar timepiece, the zoom actually starts. I will call Varizoom.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 01:11 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Alright. . .I have tried the controller with my stock lens (before, I was using the manual 16x). Apparently, and this hurts me greatly, the problem is only limited to the manual lens.

Is there any fix for this? I talked to Tom Smith and he said it might be an issue with the manual lens (this was before I tried it with the ISII). Well, he was right.

I like the controller, but hate the stock lens and try to use it as little as possible. Anyone else encountered this problem?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog