View Full Version : Locking your equipment up

Mitchell Skurnik
September 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I was wondering how you guys store your equipment when not in use at your studio/home. I am looking to get a cabinet to store all my equipment that I can lock up (including my cases).

I have a Fiberbilt case (36"x16")
My EX1 in a hardshell case
My SLR in a softcase
External hard-drive, cables, other crap in a harshell
Various cables and connectors
Other random things

How do you protect your stuff?

Alister Chapman
September 16th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Steel filing cabinets or steel office cupboards work well for security from casual break-in's. However a determined thief will be able to get in to them. Best thing is not to advertise your equipment by keeping it in bags or cases when you take it to and from wherever you keep it.

John Peterson
September 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM
We don't have problems in my neighborhood with break-ins so I am wondering why you don't put in an alarm system if it is a problem where you live.

In terms of leaving the house for a few days, if you are worried about someone coming in and finding the camera you could put it in a plastic bag, stick it in the garbage pail, and put garbage on top of it. Unlikely they will discover it.

John

Doug Jensen
September 16th, 2009, 06:49 AM
stick it in the garbage pail, and put garbage on top of it. Unlikely they will discover it.
John

Yeah, and if it does get found, they'll assume it's a P2 camera and leave it alone.

Mitchell Lewis
September 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
LOL!! Good one Doug!

Mitchell Skurnik
September 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah, and if it does get found, they'll assume it's a P2 camera and leave it alone.

That is a good one Doug.

I am looking at this cabinet:
48 Inch Wide Combination Cabinets | Lyon-Cabinets.com (http://lyon-cabinets.com/index.cfm?mf=browse.showPart&partClassID=3545&PName=48%20Inch%20Wide%20Combination%20Cabinets)

John Peterson
September 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Now THAT'S funny.

John

Boyd Ostroff
September 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Before buying heavy steel cabinets you might want to talk to your insurance agent and see if you already have any coverage on your equipment. I did, and was told that equipment used for a business wasn't covered under my homeowners policy. I'm sure this varies, which is why you need to check.

My agent got me an "Inland Marine" policy which covers my equipment regardless of whether I'm at home or traveling. It was pretty inexpensive. I think this is the only real way to protect your investment.

Malcolm Hamilton
September 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi Boyd,
Would you mind giving me a ballpark for "inexpensive"? I have to pay $1300/year, which I think is expensive. Would love to find something cheaper.
Cheers, Malcolm

Boyd Ostroff
September 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
We've discussed this before, see the following thread in our Business Forum: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/60744-insuring-camera.html

It's a few years old, but the principles should still be sound. Believe it or not, my rates for the policy mentioned in that thread have actually gone down a bit. I paid $210/year in 2006 and renewed it for $207 in 2009.

Mitchell Skurnik
September 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
This is stored at my business not at my home so there are policies already in place about theft. I still like keeping things locked up so co-workers don't just grab equipment without asking and signing a log sheet.

Chris Hurd
September 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Moved from XDCAM EX to Home, Away From Home.

Max Allen
September 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
As they say security is about layers. If you're getting a cabinet I would go for the heaviest duty one you can afford. I like kingcab but they cost between 1 and 2k and some of them weigh close to a ton. This is from frustration of seeing too many storage cabinets at stations and production companies fizzle out and pretty much die. There are less expensive options, just be weary of the general use steel cabinet. These are a joke for security.

If you have over 20 or 30k of gear I would build more layers aside from insurance. Alarm, infrared triggered outdoor, indoor, lights, camera, video recording. Locking pelican cases if you'll be away for a few days. There are also systems that will email or text you when a camera or recorder has been trigered, an alarm activated or even if your front door is opened. It doesn't all have to be expensive industrial products. There are consumer products you can integrate and the final cost is less than it sounds.

Battle Vaughan
September 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I think you might find a gun safe the right size, they're not cheap but nothing good is. One source: Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices. (http://www.cabelas.com), search "gun safe" for a large selection.../Battle Vaughan

Mitchell Skurnik
September 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I think a steel cabinet with a simple chain and pad lock will do just fine. The editing room that I will be keeping it in has a door lock which is inside of a building with security cameras on every exit as well as badge readers. I mostly want it so co-workers don't just grab equipment without signing things out.

Silas Barker
January 31st, 2013, 02:14 PM
Any suggestions on a metal safe for a few handheld cameras, around 8 cubic feet would work.

Shaun Roemich
January 31st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Silas: I USED to have a Knaack Model 42.

Knaack LLC - KNAACK JOBMASTER Jobsite Storage Chests (http://www.knaack.ca/jobsite_storage_equipment/view_products.php?p_id=1)

Only issue I had was the completely hidden padlock system was occasionally difficult to lock and required a VERY specific padlock to be purchased separately... If I did it again, I'd get one from the retailer...

Mark Watson
March 17th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Old thread but I just took some photos of my editing suite and my gear storage room since I need to update my insurance. This place has very robust security, so I haven't worried about getting ripped off. My landlord stopped by the other day and freaked out about all my gear. I had just returned from a shoot and was putting it all away. He urged me to increase my coverage, soooo... here are some photos of the gear storage room.

I bought some steel cabinets from a used office furniture store for $500. They lock, but that's just to keep prying eyes away. It would be easy to pop them open. In one cabinet, I keep my dSLRs and other smaller cameras on the shelf, along with some video cables and LANC remotes.

I got some smaller metal/plastic cabinets for organizing all the smaller stuff; batteries, filters, data recorders, tripod accessories, cables, remotes, lens cleaning kit, memory cards, etc. In the top drawer below the cabinet, I keep some lenses, more filters, lens adapters, handy cams. In the 2nd drawer are project archive storage and in the bottom drawer is mostly camera support items.

I keep most of my audio gear in a Craftsman tool chest in a 2nd steel cabinet. In the closet I have a Kessler Cineslider and Pocket Jib as well as a couple tripods and several suction cup mounts and loads of gaffer tape. I have a little charging station area that can handle all my batteries. I keep the FS7 in the Jason Cases large Pelican case, and in one 1510 is all my action camera stuff. 8 cameras with all their batteries and mounts, cables. In the bottom drawer of the Craftsman cabinet I have the Oracle controller, battery pack, high hat and tripod head for use with the Cineslider. Various loose gear are my monitors (SmallHD DP6 and Odyssey 7Q+).

Those steel cabinets helped clear up lots of clutter. Highly recommended. Use smaller electronics parts-type cabinets inside to sort out your smaller items. Label everything.

Mark Watson
March 17th, 2017, 06:48 AM
... and a few more pics!

Chris Hurd
March 17th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Excellent post and pics, Mark -- definitely a discussion topic worth reviving. Thanks!

Jon Fairhurst
March 20th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Somehow, I get the feeling that the username and password on Mark Watson's router are NOT "admin" and "admin". ;)

Dan Gunn
March 21st, 2017, 08:37 AM
That is not secure! Get a safe or two and add your own shelves. Used gun safes can be had cheap. Also an alarm system. I have a whole house system AND a separate system for my editing/equipment room.
The last system has a warning on the door. If you open the door without disarming the alarm, you will be greeted by two absolutely ear shattering sirens (illegal). I only tested it ONCE and my ears were ringing all day. Police response time averages 21 minutes and the thieves know it.

I am a private investigator and have worked on toooo many burglary cases! I live in Atlanta, GA. Every day, we have at least one burglary in our surrounding neighborhoods.

Good luck.

Dan Gunn
March 21st, 2017, 08:41 AM
Silas: I USED to have a Knaack Model 42.

Knaack LLC - KNAACK JOBMASTER Jobsite Storage Chests (http://www.knaack.ca/jobsite_storage_equipment/view_products.php?p_id=1)

Only issue I had was the completely hidden padlock system was occasionally difficult to lock and required a VERY specific padlock to be purchased separately... If I did it again, I'd get one from the retailer...
That looks like a great system. It has NO wheels so the bad guys can't roll it out the door.