Locking your equipment up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Locking your equipment up

I was wondering how you guys store your equipment when not in use at your studio/home. I am looking to get a cabinet to store all my equipment that I can lock up (including my cases).
  • I have a Fiberbilt case (36"x16")
  • My EX1 in a hardshell case
  • My SLR in a softcase
  • External hard-drive, cables, other crap in a harshell
  • Various cables and connectors
  • Other random things

How do you protect your stuff?

Last edited by Mitchell Skurnik; September 16th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Mitchell Skurnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Steel filing cabinets or steel office cupboards work well for security from casual break-in's. However a determined thief will be able to get in to them. Best thing is not to advertise your equipment by keeping it in bags or cases when you take it to and from wherever you keep it.
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Major Player

We don't have problems in my neighborhood with break-ins so I am wondering why you don't put in an alarm system if it is a problem where you live.

In terms of leaving the house for a few days, if you are worried about someone coming in and finding the camera you could put it in a plastic bag, stick it in the garbage pail, and put garbage on top of it. Unlikely they will discover it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
stick it in the garbage pail, and put garbage on top of it. Unlikely they will discover it.
John
Yeah, and if it does get found, they'll assume it's a P2 camera and leave it alone.
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Trustee

LOL!! Good one Doug!
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Yeah, and if it does get found, they'll assume it's a P2 camera and leave it alone.
That is a good one Doug.

I am looking at this cabinet:
48 Inch Wide Combination Cabinets | Lyon-Cabinets.com
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Now THAT'S funny.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Wrangler

Before buying heavy steel cabinets you might want to talk to your insurance agent and see if you already have any coverage on your equipment. I did, and was told that equipment used for a business wasn't covered under my homeowners policy. I'm sure this varies, which is why you need to check.

My agent got me an "Inland Marine" policy which covers my equipment regardless of whether I'm at home or traveling. It was pretty inexpensive. I think this is the only real way to protect your investment.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Boyd,
Would you mind giving me a ballpark for "inexpensive"? I have to pay $1300/year, which I think is expensive. Would love to find something cheaper.
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Wrangler

We've discussed this before, see the following thread in our Business Forum: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...ng-camera.html

It's a few years old, but the principles should still be sound. Believe it or not, my rates for the policy mentioned in that thread have actually gone down a bit. I paid $210/year in 2006 and renewed it for $207 in 2009.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Major Player

This is stored at my business not at my home so there are policies already in place about theft. I still like keeping things locked up so co-workers don't just grab equipment without asking and signing a log sheet.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from XDCAM EX to Home, Away From Home.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

As they say security is about layers. If you're getting a cabinet I would go for the heaviest duty one you can afford. I like kingcab but they cost between 1 and 2k and some of them weigh close to a ton. This is from frustration of seeing too many storage cabinets at stations and production companies fizzle out and pretty much die. There are less expensive options, just be weary of the general use steel cabinet. These are a joke for security.

If you have over 20 or 30k of gear I would build more layers aside from insurance. Alarm, infrared triggered outdoor, indoor, lights, camera, video recording. Locking pelican cases if you'll be away for a few days. There are also systems that will email or text you when a camera or recorder has been trigered, an alarm activated or even if your front door is opened. It doesn't all have to be expensive industrial products. There are consumer products you can integrate and the final cost is less than it sounds.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Trustee

I think you might find a gun safe the right size, they're not cheap but nothing good is. One source: Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices., search "gun safe" for a large selection.../Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Major Player

I think a steel cabinet with a simple chain and pad lock will do just fine. The editing room that I will be keeping it in has a door lock which is inside of a building with security cameras on every exit as well as badge readers. I mostly want it so co-workers don't just grab equipment without signing things out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home