View Full Version : Building a 9 Bay DVD Duplication Tower...

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Cornett
April 12th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I've been searching online for any recommendations, tips, techniques, and stories about building a 5 to 9 bay DVD duplication tower.

There are a few different DVD controllers out there. Wytron, Vast, U-Master (which I like), BSA, and Acard to name a few. The cases and DVD drives are easy to find, but I'm always looking for a good deal if you know of one.

Here are a few concerns. I'm using FCP and iDVD to make my DVD. That means that my media is DVD-R. So I have to find both a controller and a DVD drive that is compatible. Next, a lot of the companies that are selling these products (i.e. Tiger Direct and other smaller companies) have a horrible rating with the Better Business Bureau. That's kind'a scary! I'm also on a time crunch and I can't afford wasting money of crappy products, bad customer service or just getting flat out scammed.

So, if anyone would like to share any advice, stories, reputable companies, and/or products-I would greatly appreciate it!

I really don't want to buy a pre-made tower or automated unit. I don't have a huge budget and would prefer to build one right now.

Thanks.

George Ellis
April 13th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Newegg has some prebuilts that are a good price, but do not know the models. They do have a 1-7 Vinpower using Pioneer A-09s for $1099. Newegg is one of the best online retailers. Only folks I have had as good an experience with or better, BH Photo Video.

Resellerratings.com is fairly reliable for looking up vendors.

Mike Cornett
April 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the input and advice. Newegg had some pretty competitive prices.

Once I build my duplicator-I'll report back with the details.

Felix Valeri
April 22nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
I build them all the time
Here is what i just built for a customer

7 bay case from tigerdirect.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=92

bsa 1-9 controller from tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=774356&CatId=92

5 samsung dvd-+rw with dual layer from tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1226535&CatId=89

and a samsung dvd player from tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1226534&CatId=0

burned everything i threw at it, so far.

Vic Owen
April 28th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I've been considering the Promax 1:3 duplicator. Currently, I'm getting 100% reliability doing singles on Riteks with the LaCie D2 FW burner connected to my G4. Is it reasonable to expect accurate duplication from this unit (or similar)? Anyone had any experiences, good or bad?

Thanks

Mike Cornett
May 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Well, I built first my duplicator this weekend. I spent a little over $700 and the set up was a snap. I easliy saved $400 or more by building it myself.

The hardest part was the research. I had to first figure out which dvd controlled had the options that best suited my needs. Second, was what drives to buy- preformance, price, reliability and compatibility with the duplicator controller were all issues.
And third, wass to figure out what companies to buy from- who had a good Better Business Bureau rating and of course, experiences from other collegues.

So, if you're pondering about building vs. buying...I recommend building your own DVD Duplicator Tower. It was nothing more than plug and paly!

Specs: West Digitial 40g HD, LiteOn DVD-ROM, X-Case 9 bay w/500 watt power supply, BENQ DVD-Writers, and an ACARD 2033P Copy Controller.

Companies: TigerDirect, Systor Systems, Inc.-esystor.com, Ebay and Circuit City. I was shocked with Circuit City's online deals! I'm ususally a Best Buy kinda' guy.

So I can now handle small duplication runs without bogging down my computer.

The only bottle neck is printing. My epson R200 will be getting quite a work out!

I'll have to start researching printers, printing techniques, and ink costs next.

If anyone has any related stories, experiences, or news I'd be interested in reading about them. Thanks for the help.

Steven Davis
October 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Well, I built first my duplicator this weekend. I spent a little over $700 and the set up was a snap. I easliy saved $400 or more by building it myself......

How many drives did you install. I only ask because the Lacie 5 drive duplicator is around 700 bucks. I'm pondering buy or build.

Mike Cornett
October 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I have 6 burners in the case. I could have put more in, but I wanted to be able to burn the image from a Hard Drive (It helps prevent burning errors).

So, I had to install a DVD-ROM Drive and Hard Drive. Here's the order in the 9 bay duplicator case starting from the top.

HD, DVD-ROM, 3 DVD Burners, DVD Duplicator Card, and 3 more Burners.

I hope this answers your question.
-Mike

John Colette
October 11th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I have a Wytron with 9 pioneer 108 frives, and it is faultless. It's a really reliable controller - and make a bigger bay - you always need the extra capacity sometime :-)

DVD usually spits out in 4 minutes.

Giroud Francois
October 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
for about 1600$ you can get a primera robot that can burn and print 50 DVD in a row.

Steven Davis
October 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I have a Wytron with 9 pioneer 108 frives, and it is faultless. It's a really reliable controller - and make a bigger bay - you always need the extra capacity sometime :-)

DVD usually spits out in 4 minutes.

Hey John, what wyntron do you have, I see very few places that look legit to get the wyntron from?

Steven Davis
October 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I have 6 burners in the case. I could have put more in, but I wanted to be able to burn the image from a Hard Drive (It helps prevent burning errors).

So, I had to install a DVD-ROM Drive and Hard Drive. Here's the order in the 9 bay duplicator case starting from the top.

HD, DVD-ROM, 3 DVD Burners, DVD Duplicator Card, and 3 more Burners.

I hope this answers your question.
-Mike

I think I am going to build. I just called TigerDirect and they no longer carry any dvd controllers.

Bryan McCullough
October 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I built an 11 bay about a month ago.

I've got a Wyrton 399 controller and Pioneer 110D burners. I've got a Lite-On DVD-ROM reader drive and a 160 GB hard drive.

Currently I've only got 3 burners in, but the card is expandable to 9 so I'm adding one at a time when I get significant orders. Should be at a full 9 by the end of the year.

It's great, works flawlessly.

The only issue really to plan for is the hard drive. It partitions the drive based upon either CD, DVD or Dual layer DVD. So the partitions are either 800MB, 4.7 GB, or 9 GB. This is important because on my 160GB drive I get 24 partitions. I can load 24 different images onto it. So a 200 MB CD image takes a 4.7 GB partition.

So you end up needing a bigger hard drive than you might think to hold all your stuff.

Mike Cornett
October 13th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I think I am going to build. I just called TigerDirect and they no longer carry any dvd controllers.

I bought my DVD control here:
http://www.esystor.com/shop/Index.asp?LClssCd=040&LClssNM=Controller

I had a great experience with them. No problems. Although, I have been looking at the BBB website more often to check businesses out. It seems there have been problems with this company. I didn't have one though.

Good luck!

Steven Davis
October 20th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Well, I built my duplicator. This is where and what I used.

Controller: http://www.amamax.com/wydv1ta16xdv.html

Case: http://www.amamax.com/pomaxcblp79b.html

[Note] Amamax shopping cart was a little odd looking, but no concerns with the product.

Rom Drive : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047

Burners: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131410

[Note] This is the first shipment that ever concerned me from Newegg. My box looked like a Sumo wrestler had sat on it. But the price was right for what I bought.

Overall I spent 500 bucks. So far so good, I duplicated some cd's (Photos) last night and I was instantly in love. I put the thing together in about 30 minutes. It's much easier than building a computer, but if you have built a computer, this is easy. I encourage anyone to build thier own if they need to get time back, a duplicator is the way to go.

I have been doing some corporate work and each copy is 4 dvd's, so doing even 10 copies can take forever using one burner.

Bryan McCullough
October 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM
Congrats on the duplicator! You'll soon wonder what you ever did without it.

I'm curious why you went with a smaller tower than your controller is capable of.

Steven Davis
October 21st, 2005, 09:11 PM
Congrats on the duplicator! You'll soon wonder what you ever did without it.

I'm curious why you went with a smaller tower than your controller is capable of.

Well, I have room for two more burners, that would bring me to 7, but good point, I suppose I should have gone with a 9 tower.

George Bean
October 22nd, 2005, 12:13 PM
I have searched for an online manual for the wytron controller but cannot locate one, hoping you can provide some info.

Do the dvd burners have to be identical?

What is the usb interface kit?

When using a hard drive for images how is it partitioned/formatted by the controller or by a pc? How do you transfer the image file from pc to the hard drive? I will be using the removable drive tray and assume it is drag and drop file transfer.

Are the image files .iso or video_ts folders?

Any info would be appreciated, have dvd copies due from a school play and this could be a good investment.

THANKS

Steven Davis
October 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
I have searched for an online manual for the wytron controller but cannot locate one, hoping you can provide some info.

Do the dvd burners have to be identical?

What is the usb interface kit?

The best I can see from the manual, the USB is so you can connect to a pc.

When using a hard drive for images how is it partitioned/formatted by the controller or by a pc? How do you transfer the image file from pc to the hard drive? I will be using the removable drive tray and assume it is drag and drop file transfer.

Are the image files .iso or video_ts folders?

Any info would be appreciated, have dvd copies due from a school play and this could be a good investment.

THANKS

There's nothing in the manual, such as it is, that says that the burners have to be identical, but in theory, I suppose you would have less compatibility issues if you use the same burner.

The manual says that you ue the master reader to load the image into the hard drive. I'll continue to read if you can do this via usb.

The best I can see from the manual, the USB is so you can connect to a pc to use the entire duplicator.

I've just burned from a master disk, i.e. dvd-rw and dvd-r.

I have two purchases that I have found to be priceless. One of them is my camera dolly, and this duplicator being the other.

If you do projects that are more than just a couple of copies, this is definately a way to go. I built this one for less than 500 bucks.

George Bean
October 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Ordered the parts today, if all goes well should be duplicating five at a time by next week. Thanks for the info, I went with the wytron controller.

Philip Skaist
October 31st, 2005, 02:12 PM
Well, I built my duplicator. This is where and what I used.

Controller: http://www.amamax.com/wydv1ta16xdv.html

Case: http://www.amamax.com/pomaxcblp79b.html

[Note] Amamax shopping cart was a little odd looking, but no concerns with the product.

Rom Drive : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047

Burners: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131410

Just want to make sure....the "Burners" is what you got 7 of to duplicate and the "Rom Drive" is what you use to hold the original?
Thanks

Steven Davis
October 31st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Just want to make sure....the "Burners" is what you got 7 of to duplicate and the "Rom Drive" is what you use to hold the original?
Thanks

Yes, my duplicator will hold the one rom drive, then 7 targets. I only bought 5 for now, but I can add two extras later.

George Bean
November 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
Took about an hour to assemble.

Duplicator has 4 nec 3540a recorders, hard drive in a removable caddie and pioneer 104 source drive.

Still trying to navigate the lcd menu of the wytron controller but it will definately be a time saver. About 28 minutes to rip the source dvd to the duplicator hard drive and then about ten minutes to make the copies. By removing the hd tray the pioneer 104 defaults to the source drive for a disc to disc copy.

Now I just need to save enough money to buy 4 more nec burners!

Steven Davis
November 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, as nice as the Wytron controller is, they could have spent some more time on the manual.

Prior to building my duplicator, I was doing the whole 1 disc at a time, for a project that had 40plus dvd's.

So it was awesome popping the disk in to the rom drive and hitting the 'majic' button.

You might want to do some time comparisons to burning your project to disk instead of to your hard drive. The rom drive is about 20 bucks or so.

It's also my understanding that you can connect the whole tower to your computer and burn straight to the duplicator. I believe that's what the usb port is for.

Like I said, Wytron could do a little more with thier manual.

I'm glad you like your duplicator. I know from first hand experience it's a major time saver.

Bryan McCullough
November 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
About 28 minutes to rip the source dvd to the duplicator hard drive
My post from yesterday seems to have vanished...

28 minutes to rip a DVD? That seems slow. I can't remember ever having a DVD take that long. I think there's a setting to change the read speed somewhere, make sure all the speed options are on 'auto'.

Steven Davis
November 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM
My post from yesterday seems to have vanished...

28 minutes to rip a DVD? That seems slow. I can't remember ever having a DVD take that long. I think there's a setting to change the read speed somewhere, make sure all the speed options are on 'auto'.

I know that I have issues with printables at high speeds, so the controller may throttle down, which is understandable.

I know even though I have 16x sony dvd burner in my computer, I can't burn certain printables faster thatn 6x, even though they are supposedly burnable at 16x according to the manufacture, it's a sham I say a sham!. :}

Jay Patzschke
November 9th, 2005, 05:41 PM
My partner and I are new to the Video business I just finished burning our 90th or so DVD for a football tournament video. I did this one disc at a time on 2 computers. I'm here to say I have a lot better things to do with my time.

We have another tournament now to edit. It will fill two dvd's and 50 or so customers have order them.

In January we have a Bridal show we are setting up a booth in and want to hand out dvd's to prospective clients.

I think I need a duplicator.

Would it be best to have a hard drive built in to the unit so you can burn an image to the dvd's?

I have had some bad experiences copy from disc to disc on a computer.

I also don't want to spend $500 or so on a home made unit only to regret it and have to spend $500 more to buy one that works.

So do I need a hard drive. Also is therea book or some place I can get more info on all the exact specs I need before I purchase all the hardware? I am planning on ordering this week.

Please help!

George Bean
November 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I know that I have issues with printables at high speeds, so the controller may throttle down, which is understandable.

I know even though I have 16x sony dvd burner in my computer, I can't burn certain printables faster thatn 6x, even though they are supposedly burnable at 16x according to the manufacture, it's a sham I say a sham!. :}

I think there are media issues with the makers of certain dvd recorders. That is one reason there are so many "hacked" firmware releases available. The drive is capable of burning the media at the rated speed, but the drive manufacturers disable the maximum speed on certain media. Don't know why but I'm sure there is a reason for it in the corporate world.

q: Would it be best to have a hard drive built in to the unit so you can burn an image to the dvd's?

a: the hard drive allows you to store an image of the original dvd and make copies from the image. The advantage is you do not need the original dvd and you can store multiple image files on one drive. So you could have the football tournament image file on partition aa and the bridal show demo on partition ab. I have made copies from both an image file and dvd disc. All burns were successful and completed in under ten minutes. The hard drive is a convenience but is not necessary. However, hard drives are inexpensive and worth considering.

q:Also is therea book or some place I can get more info on all the exact specs I need before I purchase all the hardware?

a: I looked for as much info as possible on the net and found few turotials or instructions. I went with the same controller as steven and it works great. The layout of the board is simple to understand. The only two connections are power and ide cables. The lcd menu is a bit confusing but I think that may be the same for any controller whether you build it yourself or buy one preassembled.

Given the options of buying the duplicator pre assembled or building it yourself
depends on your situation. The cost is less to build and you will have a better understanding of how it works. I will be glad to answer any questions that may help you with your decision.

Mark Burlingame
January 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Well, I am currently building a render/burner box using an older asus motherboard and 2GHz P4, using 3 Benq 1640 DVD burners. I used a promise Ultra100tx2 IDE controller for one of the burners and it didn't work. A little research on the net, and info provided by Ahead(Nero, the software I am using), suggests that many of the IDE controller cards don't cut it for ATAPI burning devices as they don't support DMA (and other problems) with CD drives, which in turn leads to buffer underruns. Also, apparently Promise adapters are simply problematic for use in dupe towers. Anyway, it seems that SIIG controllers are the way to go. I bought the SIIG|SC-PE4B12. It's a 2 channel pci card $32 at newegg. I thought this might be useful info to include in this thread rather than start a new one. cheers! Mark

Joe DeRouen
March 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Okay, I really need to get one of these. Since the price difference is so little in regards to building one myself or purchasing one on eBay, I'm probably going to go the eBay route. That said, can I add a hard drive myself? How do you set up the partitions correctly?

On some of the eBay deals, you can pay extra for a hard drive, but they usually top out at 250 or 300 GB and I want at least a 400 GB in the system.

Thanks!!
Joe

Steven Davis
March 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Okay, I really need to get one of these. Since the price difference is so little in regards to building one myself or purchasing one on eBay, I'm probably going to go the eBay route. That said, can I add a hard drive myself? How do you set up the partitions correctly?

On some of the eBay deals, you can pay extra for a hard drive, but they usually top out at 250 or 300 GB and I want at least a 400 GB in the system.

Thanks!!
Joe

Joe, depending on the controller, you should be able to add a hard drive yourself. One of the reasons I built it myself is, I wanted to pick out the drives that went in the thing.

It took me some digging to find out the drives that sellers use to build thier duplicators, but after I did, I decided to build it myself. For example, when I priced the pre-built componants, I found that the seller was making like 200 bucks extra, even if I bought the componants from newegg. Some sellers use cheap drives. Those and other reason, I built mine. I've been very happy, and other than operator error, mine has not given me one problem.

It took me 30 minutes to put it together. If you do decide to buy one put together, ask what the controller and drives are. Make sure they are not crap.

Martin Archer-Shee
March 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
hi

I got some very helpful advice/information from this thread and have just received a Wytron 399 controller from California and have just ordered 6 Pioneer 111 dvd units from a firm in Vancouver and a 9 bay box from a company in California. Hopefully all will come together shortly. I will post my experiences when I am up and running. Trying to find the box and controller in Canada was a no go.

Martin

Joe DeRouen
March 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I am considering purchasing from this site: www.amamax.com

Does anyone know anything about them, positive or negative?

The system I'm looking at uses these:

Acard 2033 Series Controller + Case + Power Supply
Pioneer 109 16x DVD+-R/RW Drives

Thanks!
Joe

Steven Davis
March 30th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Thanks!
Joe

I'd have to check my records at home for sure, but I think this is where I got my controller and maybe my case. I got my drives from newegg. I don't remember any issues with them. I think I actually remember them being very friendly.

Steven Davis
March 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks!
Joe

Yep, if you look at page on of this thread, you'll see my list of what from where. I did do buisiness with amamax

Joe DeRouen
March 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I see you used the Wytron controller. Is it better than the acard? I've heard mostly good things about both.

Joe

Steven Davis
March 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I see you used the Wytron controller. Is it better than the acard? I've heard mostly good things about both.

Joe

I've heard good things about both as well, I believe it came down to the one I thought looked the coolest. That's sad.

Joe DeRouen
March 30th, 2006, 04:27 PM
It IS sad, but it's also the kind of thing I'd do, so I can't say anything! ;)

Here's the system I'm looking at. If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. And thanks for all the help and advice!

http://store.yahoo.com/amamax/pi1ta16xspdv2.html

George Bean
March 30th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I also purchased from www.amamax.com and www.newegg.com
and recommend both vendors.

amamax was very prompt with the billing and shipping. I ordered the controller, case and power supply from amamax.com and there was no charge for shipping, great deal considering the weight and size of the case.
Also everything was packaged securely to avoid damage in transit. Only minor complaint is the ziploc bag was not sealed so some of the screws were running around loose, no big deal.

I have the wytron controller and it is easy to add a hard drive. My hard drive is jumpered to master and is in a removable caddy. The source dvd-rom drive is jumpered to slave, if the hd caddy is not present it will default to the source dvd rom drive. If the duplicator powers up with the hd caddy in place it becomes the default source drive.

Works great is a real time saver

Joe DeRouen
March 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
George, your system sounds great. I run an online store that sells DVDs and I'm so far behind in shipping that it's ridiculous. My current 2 DVD at a time setup just doesn't work anymore.

So how easy or difficult is the interface to use? I'm assuming you just click through the LCD display and tell it what to copy and how many to make?

I have nearly 700 GB of iso files on two external hard drives. I'll be transferring some of these - the most ordered - to whatever hard drive I get and use the externals for backups or something silly like that. :)

Joe

George Bean
March 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
The interface is a bit cumbersome but easy enough to navigate and work with, once it is set it retains the info. To copy select either the original cd or image file, load the blanks and walk away. When the copies complete the drive(s) will eject, load more blanks to burn additional copies. It takes just under ten minutes for a 4gb dvd at 16x speed. Recently I throttled down the burn speed to 8x for greater compatibility.

If I remember correctly the wytron designates the partitions as a-z then aa,ab,etc. It appears to be a fat32 file system but I can not get winxp to recognize the drive. I had hoped to drag and drop the iso files I currently have but no luck. The only way I have found is to load the original disc into the source of the duplicator and rip it to the designated partition in the duplicator drive caddy. One thing to note is the controller keeps the same partition info for the drive. IE if you select 4.7gb partitions and copy a 750mb cd image you will still allocate 4gb for the cd image. There is not a way to name the partitions other than the default alphabetical letters. I assume if you have multiple hard drives in caddies you could have a very effective archive ready to copy.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have additional ?s.

Martin Archer-Shee
March 30th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Joe

I think your potential system sounds quite fine. I would ,however, check to see if they are now quoting against Pioneer's latest which I believe is the 111 version.

Martin

Joe DeRouen
March 31st, 2006, 03:31 PM
How about the Athena controllers? Or are they all about the same?

Joe

Martin Archer-Shee
April 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Well... I finally have my gear together and have fired it up but not actually run a disc as yet.

I got a Wytron controller complete with data cables, via ebay, from sandyyang78, good price(best price I could come across) and fast shipping. The 9space case I got from copycats complete with a 500 watt supply and power leads. I bought the 6 Pioneer 111 from Can computer in Vancouver. I must say I was very pleased with the service from each. Now to try the complete product. I am actually waiting for a new hard drive to arrive.
Incidentally, I had a question about the connections so dropped an e-mail off to Wytron in Taiwan and had an answer the next morning. The guy even made some suggestions to save cost and set up best. Can't beat that.

Now I still need to learn about the best way to print on or label a disc. Any suggestions?

Martin

Brian Light
June 18th, 2006, 12:36 PM
How about the Athena controllers? Or are they all about the same?

Joe

I built a Dup. tower with an Athena 11-1 controller. I built it into a 14 bay enclosure I bought a few years back that I had a couple of Firewire (2) drive controllers in to use for Video Production with each having an Hard Drive and DVD burner. I really never used both sets so I left one HD in and had 11 empty bays in it.

Right now I have 6 Pioneer DVD-111D burners in it (firmware 1.06 may upgrade firmware to current 1.23 once I can do it on my Mac platform). I also have a HD (in a removable Sled) and an ASUS E616A2 reader. I also have a Macpower DigitalDoc 5 to monitor the temperature at 8 points with in the enclosure. Right now I can increase it to 9 drives without removing anything and once I'm satisfied around the temperature in the case can get it 11 easy enough by removing the DigitalDoc 5 and the FW Drive but don't see this need at the current time. I use this to Dup the Video DVD projects I do in my Video Production company. I was burning through two computers and now have them free of this.

I choose this Duplicator card as it does a more dynamic HD partition in that it partitions the drive into 1 gig units and a CD will use one and a DVD will use 1 to 5 depending on the size of the project. Other units you have to configure a drive for either CD's or DVD's and each CD will use a gig and and Each DVD will use 5 gigs (even CD's on a DVD set up drive will use 5 gigs). I also used the removable Drive Sled to be able to have multiple HD's as the need arises. Current Drive is a 200 gig drive which allows for 184 CD or 34 DVD's in it's reporting function.

Another advantage of this Controller is that it allows for you to have different Burner model so if I need to scale up above my 6 Pioneer DVD-111D's and they are no longer easily available I can use the latest with what I already have. Other Duplicators require the same Burner's with the same FW to work properly.

I just built this is the last week and have only burned less that 30 DVD's on it as of yet, I'm looking forward to no longer using my Computer to burn copies. I will try to report in on my impresssions as I incorporate this into my work flow.

Cory Weekes
June 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hello, I've been looking into trying to put one of these together myself and this is what I came up with so far:

Acard Controller ARS-2033S : 1-to-7 DVD - costs $85
http://www.acard.com.tw/english/fb01-product.jsp?idno_no=135&prod_no=ARS-2033S&type1_title=CD/DVD%20Duplicator&type1_idno=4

Silver Black 7 Target DVD CD Duplicator Case - costs $105
http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Black-7-Target-DVD-CD-Duplicator-case-Cool-look_W0QQitemZ5134618121QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31509QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

3 Silver NEC 3550A drives from newegg - costs $117
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152060

Seagate 120GB Internal Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive costs = $50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055388011277&type=product
OR:
Seagate 120GB Internal Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive costs = $80
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826249503&type=product

Total so far = $357(with seagate) and $387(with western digital)

That's what I got so far. I know I still need a dvd-rom drive, but that shouldn't be hard to get, so I just wanted to make sure I was heading in the right direction first, you know. If anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Martin Archer-Shee
June 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I can't comment on the specific items. I am not familiar withe ACARD controller but it is probably similar to the wytron I bought. I would suggest finding the manual online and reading it, to make sure you have all the info you need and it is understandable. If you are doing any amount of copying you might consider filling the drive bays, thus ensuring you have the same model burners (just in case...). Hard drive wise , I ended up using an "old" 40G drive I had in an old computer. Works fine and as long as I don't need more than 6 or 7 dvd sources to be stored I am fine.
Make sure that the controller you purchase comes with all the ribbon cables you need, namely for the full number of drives it can handle. I forgot to check this but luckily the unit had everything. Make sur that the case has lots of ventilation, mine came with three fans and a 500watt supply along with all the power supply cords (another thing to check). What? me paranoid....???

Setup of the whole system was easy and it works fine.

Best of luck
Martin

Brian Light
June 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Fretting over the choices is the hardest thing you will face. Not knowing what you needs are, I would say the drive size would be a bit smallish. And keep in mind most of the units require same drive and same firmware version unlike the Athena controller I used.

Most controllers come will all the IDE cables your will need, at least in my research. As long as the case is designed for drives it should have the amount of cables to fill the number of bays it offers too.

Beware of people selling normal cases with normal computer power supplies.

Also cooling needs to be properly addressed and in my limited testing on my tower it seems to not be an issue at all as a few concurrently burns in a row increased temps in the case just a few degree F.

Keep us informed.

Brian

Hello, I've been looking into trying to put one of these together myself and this is what I came up with so far:

Cory Weekes
July 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
Hey guys, I've ordered everything except my hard drive. I looked at some of your suggestions and altered my components a bit. Here is what I have now:

Acard Controller ARS-2033S : 1-to-7 DVD - costs $85
http://www.acard.com.tw/english/fb01-product.jsp?idno_no=135&prod_no=ARS-2033S&type1_title=CD/DVD%20Duplicator&type1_idno=4

Xcase 9 bay 500w 3 fans
http://copystars.com/xcase_9_bay_dvd_cd_duplicator_case_tower_60_prd1.htm

ASUS E616A 16X DVD-ROM (Black)
http://www.laptops4me.com/product_info.php/p/asus-e616a-16x-dvd-rom-black-%2C-bulk/products_id/11114

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Silver IDE Model ND-3550A
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/productdetails.aspx?item=27-152-060

Cory Weekes
July 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I am missing something here. I have all those pieces now except for the hard drive, but I don't understand how the drives and the controller are supposed to stay fixed in the tower. Is there a piece I am missing from the tower. It came with a bunch of screws, but I don't know what to do with them.