View Full Version : Film Format Frame Lines

Kenn Christenson
April 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Just adding my 2¢ to the wish list for this camera: It would be handy for those of us looking for a final film output to have the option of seeing framing lines for 1.85:1 and 2.39:1. Don't know how easy/difficult this would be but, as this camera shoots 1080 24P this feature would seem like a "natural."

Charles Papert
April 27th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Kenn, that's actually a great idea & should definitely get to Jan Crittendon. Although 1:78 and 1:85 are so close to almost be on top of each other. I recently did a 35mm feature where we protected 1:78 for an HD DI, the extra scribe on the ground glass was just a tiny hair above 1:85. But the 2:40 would be helpful (the Cinealta calls this a "vista" aspect ratio).

James Darren
April 27th, 2005, 09:26 AM
just mark the ground glass on the HVX with a pencil, I did it with my Bolex so it should work ok with the HVX..... j/k :)

i think 1.85:1 markings would be very handy.

could you just also add an anamorphic lense to the front of the HVX to get roughly 1.85:1 ratio?

Charles Papert
April 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Just to re-iterate; 16:9 aka 1:78 is just SLIGHTLY taller than 1:85--only a few lines different.

Mathieu Ghekiere
April 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Great idea! Panasonic, if you are listening, and you could add this feature, it would be very cool!

Matt Irwin
April 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Agreed. This would be a fantastic feature. Although 1.85 and 1.78 are very close, I think it would be nice to have 1.85 guides in order to eliminate all unnessesary guesswork while shooting. Jan, make it happen! :)

Joonas Kiviharju
April 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM
It would be even better if you could just set any aspect ratio you want for those lines. You could just go to the menu and set it on, and set the desired aspect. Anything from 1:1 to 1:3 would be great. With two decimals ofcourse. That would allow for 1:1.85 and 1:2.35 and any non-standard aspect you could think of. Even the 1:1.5 would be great to have (seriously, I just shot my last film with this photography aspect).

Ofcourse the aspect ratios less than 1:1.78 (16:9) would have to be vertical lines instead of horizontal ones. And the LCD and viewfinder would really have to be under scan, or it would ruin the aspects.

This thing would propably be very easy to implement. It's just two more options in the menu, and some easy aspect ratio calculation.

One more thing: it would be great to have a choive between white/grey lines and to have the outside of the aspect ratio darkened. The FX1 has this feature when shooting 4:3. It just makes the areas outside 4:3 a little darker on the 16:9 LCD and viewfinder.