Film Format Frame Lines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film Format Frame Lines

Just adding my 2¢ to the wish list for this camera: It would be handy for those of us looking for a final film output to have the option of seeing framing lines for 1.85:1 and 2.39:1. Don't know how easy/difficult this would be but, as this camera shoots 1080 24P this feature would seem like a "natural."
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Wrangler

Kenn, that's actually a great idea & should definitely get to Jan Crittendon. Although 1:78 and 1:85 are so close to almost be on top of each other. I recently did a 35mm feature where we protected 1:78 for an HD DI, the extra scribe on the ground glass was just a tiny hair above 1:85. But the 2:40 would be helpful (the Cinealta calls this a "vista" aspect ratio).
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

just mark the ground glass on the HVX with a pencil, I did it with my Bolex so it should work ok with the HVX..... j/k :)

i think 1.85:1 markings would be very handy.

could you just also add an anamorphic lense to the front of the HVX to get roughly 1.85:1 ratio?
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Wrangler

Just to re-iterate; 16:9 aka 1:78 is just SLIGHTLY taller than 1:85--only a few lines different.
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Great idea! Panasonic, if you are listening, and you could add this feature, it would be very cool!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Agreed. This would be a fantastic feature. Although 1.85 and 1.78 are very close, I think it would be nice to have 1.85 guides in order to eliminate all unnessesary guesswork while shooting. Jan, make it happen! :)
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

It would be even better if you could just set any aspect ratio you want for those lines. You could just go to the menu and set it on, and set the desired aspect. Anything from 1:1 to 1:3 would be great. With two decimals ofcourse. That would allow for 1:1.85 and 1:2.35 and any non-standard aspect you could think of. Even the 1:1.5 would be great to have (seriously, I just shot my last film with this photography aspect).

Ofcourse the aspect ratios less than 1:1.78 (16:9) would have to be vertical lines instead of horizontal ones. And the LCD and viewfinder would really have to be under scan, or it would ruin the aspects.

This thing would propably be very easy to implement. It's just two more options in the menu, and some easy aspect ratio calculation.

One more thing: it would be great to have a choive between white/grey lines and to have the outside of the aspect ratio darkened. The FX1 has this feature when shooting 4:3. It just makes the areas outside 4:3 a little darker on the 16:9 LCD and viewfinder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders