View Full Version : My FX1 stopped working. :(

Pages : [1] 2

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Yesterday after a shoot my FX1 stopped working. It won't power on, not with battereis or AC.

Anyone have any info as to how I check the warranty status and what to do to get it repaired?

Thanks!

Heath McKnight
May 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM
The good news is, I believe the FX1 has a nice 1 year warranty (I always recommend going for the 3-5 year warranty on cameras, in case of events like this). Just call up Sony's tech support center, the number found in the FX1's book, or try www.sony.com for more. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out!

BTW, sorry to hear about that! That really stinks, but good luck!

heath

Steven Gotz
May 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just out of curiosity, and with no knowledge to back it up, did you press the reset button?

Heath McKnight
May 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Good point, Steven.

heath

Steven Gotz
May 19th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I have never pushed that button, and I don't know if it works only on power up or not. But what the heck - it could not hurt.

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I did try the reset button, both with the power turned on and turned off.

No change.

Good news on the warranty though, thanks Heath!

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 10:02 AM
1 year parts, 90 days labor.

I'm 15 days out of the labor warranty. :(

The quote is $291 for repair.

I don't suppose B&H (where I got it) would be of any help in this situation.

Steven Gotz
May 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Ouch. I bought the Mack warranty. If that is what B&H sells, that is what I buy. Works for me so far.

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Ouch. I bought the Mack warranty. If that is what B&H sells, that is what I buy. Works for me so far.
Yeah, hindsight and all. ;)

Looks like B&H is also an authorized repair center for Sony so I'll them and see if their prices are any better than Sony directly.

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Any tricks on getting a tape out if the unit won't power on?

They say it will be 14 days for repair and I'll really need that tape before then.

But I sure don't want to start messing with the tape mechanism. Is there a release switch or something or am I screwed?

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Called B&H to see if they could help out with Sony at all since my camera is only a few days out of warranty.

The 'customer service' guy eventually said he would submit it to Sony and they'd get back to me.

I then asked how they would contact me and he said, "Ok give me your phone number."

I then asked exactly what was going to happen and he said, "We'll contact Sony, then you."

I then asked what his name was for my records and we got 'discontected'. Hmmm...

Something tells me I'm not going to get much help from them. Now, I like B&H a lot and will continue to buy from them but I've *never* felt taken care of anytime I've dealt with customer service.

Jack Zhang
May 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I had this happen on my Optura 20, cost me nothing the first time and $150 canadian the second time! The biggest advice to all you in camera charger owners: buy an external charger! it's way less risky. Anyway, now that I know that this can happen with any camcorder, I would always use an external charger with my Optura! (my dad's powershot G3)

Bryan McCullough
May 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I had this happen on my Optura 20, cost me nothing the first time and $150 canadian the second time! The biggest advice to all you in camera charger owners: buy an external charger! it's way less risky. Anyway, now that I know that this can happen with any camcorder, I would always use an external charger with my Optura! (my dad's powershot G3)
I always charge my batteries in a charger.

Gary Smith
May 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Bryan;
Sorry about your camera troubles. I had the same "dead" camera problem about two weeks ago with my FX-1. I sent it to Mack and they sent it to Sony. I have a tape in the camera that I would like to have but I am a hobbyist and do not absolutely need it. Sure is a pain to have a brand new camera and spend close to $70.00 for shipment to the repair shop and on top of the cost, I understand that the repair could take up to six weeks. Makes me wonder if I should have bought something else.
Gary

Bryan McCullough
May 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Bryan;
Sorry about your camera troubles. I had the same "dead" camera problem about two weeks ago with my FX-1. I sent it to Mack and they sent it to Sony. I have a tape in the camera that I would like to have but I am a hobbyist and do not absolutely need it. Sure is a pain to have a brand new camera and spend close to $70.00 for shipment to the repair shop and on top of the cost, I understand that the repair could take up to six weeks. Makes me wonder if I should have bought something else.
Gary
Sony told me that the repair would take no more than 14 days.

I can't be out of commission for more than that. Even 2 weeks is tough. Camera goes off today.

Bryan McCullough
June 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well my camera is scheduled to be returned today!

I could hardly sleep last night. Sony was pretty good, they took about 10 working days to make the repair and it came in $60 less than they originally quoted me.

Can't wait to plug this baby into FCP5!!!

Gary Smith
June 14th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Hi all;
Mine is still in the shop for the same reason after 5 weeks. I went through Mack though. They say it could be another week. Darn third party warranty.

Gary

Bryan McCullough
June 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Hi all;
Mine is still in the shop for the same reason after 5 weeks. I went through Mack though. They say it could be another week. Darn third party warranty.

Gary
I guess that's the trade off. If it makes you feel any better I paid about twice for this one repair that you paid for your entire warrenty.

Jeff Baker
June 15th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Any idea what is causing this?
I never had any of my other sony camera's just stop like that. I hope this is not a recall issue.

Boyd Ostroff
June 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I've never had problems like this with my Sony's, but have read about something similar with (IIRC) the GL-2 where an internal fuse could blow.

Gary Smith
June 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I think that it might have been a power surge when the camera is plugged into house power. I bought a remote charger and will never power the camera or charge the battery or use generic batteries again. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Carlos E. Martinez
June 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I think that it might have been a power surge when the camera is plugged into house power. I bought a remote charger and will never power the camera or charge the battery or use generic batteries again. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Generic batteries, as long as the voltage is OK, can't cause any damage. If in doubt about the voltage, do check it before putting it in. No mystery about that.

Using an external charger is certainly a must, and I can't understand how that did not develop into a general demand for one as standard AC supply when Sony stopped offering it.

But not using the AC supply when you can because of a power surge danger is not such a practical policy.

Carlos

Heath McKnight
June 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
FYI, generic, name brand batteries or AC adaptors, do NOT have the camera turned on when putting on fresh batteries. Leave it off, or you can potentially blow out the camera.

heath

Jay Handleson
June 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM
FYI, generic, name brand batteries or AC adaptors, do NOT have the camera turned on when putting on fresh batteries. Leave it off, or you can potentially blow out the camera.

heath

Good advice for anything that has any type of electrons (AC or DC) flowing through it!

Jay

Gary Smith
July 15th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone; Just a note to let you know that it took two months to the day to have my FX-1 serviced through Mack warranty service for the "dead camera syndrome". Had I known this, I would have gone without the warranty and paid the $200.00 to Sony to have it back in two weeks. Good old 20-20 hind sight. Gary

Jeremy Rochefort
July 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I' like to bet here that they replaced the VCR/Camera switch?

Cheers

Boyd Ostroff
July 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM
2 months is pretty unacceptable. That would make me think twice about buying a Mack warranty (I never have anyway).

These stories have spooked me about my Z-1 though. I've resolved to always run on battery power - which I generally do with my other camcorders anyway. It's a good way to bring the batteries to full discharge, which I also think isn't such a bad idea. So my Z-1 has never tasted anything but battery juice thus far in its life, and with two NPF-970's and one 960 it should never have to :-)

Gary Smith
July 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately there was no info about details of the repair from Mack or Sony. Just curious; what makes you think that the VCR/video switch was at fault. Do other Sony cams have the same problem. This is my first Sony. My beef is how blasted long the repair took.

Jeremy Rochefort
July 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately there was no info about details of the repair from Mack or Sony. Just curious; what makes you think that the VCR/video switch was at fault. Do other Sony cams have the same problem. This is my first Sony. My beef is how blasted long the repair took.

This is exactly what happened to my camera. I must have kicked up too much steam because they gave me a new camera - I must also admit the camera was only 6 days old! The feedback I got was after I insisted on a full report from Sony regarding the failure.

As for the time it took to repair yours - UNACCEPTABLE. Many of us rely on these camera for our livelihood and I will not stand for shoddy service levels - we are far too forgiving of bad service these days - hence my signature

Cheers

Heath McKnight
July 15th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I have a Mack Warranty, two since 1999, and always just sent cameras to the dealer. With my XL-1, I had it back within 5 days, per the XL-1 Club. Mack says an "authorized dealer," so Canon and JVC are...

heath

Allen Lu
October 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
A thread referred to this thread and this thread still doesnt have a summary of what caused this issue.

May I summarize, if I got this correct?

Dont leave the cam plugged in to AC power, even though this is the way to charge a battery. Get an external charger.

Has anyone thought about the coin battery inside that keeps the time of day and settings? If that went out what will the cam do?

Also for those unfortunate ones that had the FX1 die on them, what battery were you using?

Gary Smith
October 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
When Sony repaired my dead FX-1 there was no information packaged with the camera as to what repair work was done.

Not sure what would happen if the small watch battery died. Is it easy to change?

I was using the stock battery that came with the camera when mine died.

Heath McKnight
October 30th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Remember one thing...Sony consumer is repairing your FX1 (or HC1) and Sony Broadcast (pros) is repairing your Z1 or A1.

heath

Tom Roper
October 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM
The viewfinder on my 2 week old HVR-Z1U quit working on Friday. I'm sort of heartbroken. The rest of the cam still works and it made some beautiful vids.

I'm going to call Sony tomorrow to handle the repair. Though I purchased it through B&H, my customer experience with them was not particularly satisfying, the many recommendations about them to the contrary.

Heath McKnight
October 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I'm a big fan of buying at a pro dealer.

heath

George Griswold
October 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Dear Tom Roper... There is a menu option to turn off the LCD (I think) or to have both viewfinder and LCD. May want to check that.

Tom Roper
October 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I tried that George, also the reset. The backlight works. It lights up, gives a solid, bluish-white viewfinder, but no image, graphics or text.

George Griswold
October 30th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Dear Tim, That stinks.
Have you tried a bit of "percussive maintenance" (sp)-- a few taps (sharp blows) on the screen or nearby areas, or twist the heck out of the swivel-- maybe a funky ribbon cable. What do you have to lose?

George

Tom Roper
October 30th, 2005, 11:23 PM
No, after only 2 weeks it should be covered under the factory warranty parts and labor. I would not chance getting that denied for abuse.

Victor Muh
March 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM
This is a known issue with the Z1 as I have had the unfortunate experience of discovering... twice. 2 Sony Z1 cameras in a week's time have failed on me for no apparent reason.

Anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit with me?

I'm in the middle of 3 shoots!

Gary Smith
March 10th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Victor; I agree that this has to be a known issue at Sony. Too many occurences for it to make it under the radar. I think Sony has planned this to sell more batteries. I had to buy several more batteries to keep from using AC power. I will sign on in a class action, although I don't have any funds to help out. I will support you any way I can.

Victor Muh
March 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
It IS a known issue. I spoke with someone who has a memo stating such. Now, the problem is getting them to release the memo. The defect appears in the early Z1 models.

Gary Smith
March 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
The issue also showed up in the HDR-FX1 models.

Boyd Ostroff
March 10th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think Sony has planned this to sell more batteries. I had to buy several more batteries to keep from using AC power. I will sign on in a class action

Now that sounds a little like conspiracy theory ;-) There may be a defect, but I haven't seen enough firsthand reports to indicate that it's widespread. I'm no lawyer, but I think you have to show that you've been personally damaged before becoming part of a class action suit.

Joe Lumbroso
March 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Hrm.. if I sue Sony I can finally afford all those cool Sony products I've been wanting to add to the temple of Sony that is my house.

Victor Muh
March 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I have a document in my possession that indicates a no power problem and a transistor and a fuse needs to be changed due to a response difference in the circuit.

It lists the various Z1 models with the serial numbers that are afflicted with the problem.

Sony should be recalling these cameras instead of waiting for us to discover their mistake.

I'm actually paying to have my camera repaired because I'm out of the country and I've had my Z1 for over a year. Sony should be paying for the repair!

Heath McKnight
March 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I have not heard of any sort of widespread issues of bad FX1s or Z1s, and I deal with one everyday. Isolated incidents, sure. Talk to Sony tech support (Electronics is better than Consumer, that's Z1 vs. FX1) and see what can be resolved.

I loved Canon's XL1 Club--I always had my camera back in 5 days.

heath

Kurth Bousman
March 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Victor - I think you have a large audience here that would be very interested in seeing this document. Is it possible to share ? thanks- Kurth

Lou Bruno
March 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Yep....bad power supply unit.

Any idea what is causing this?
I never had any of my other sony camera's just stop like that. I hope this is not a recall issue.

Jose Noriega
March 11th, 2006, 03:55 AM
I usually use only Sony DVC tapes but because I was out of tapes in the middle of a production I had to buy some Panasonic Tapes for a shooting
They created havoc in all my systems my HVR Z1 had their heads clogged and stoped functioning and my spooler system a JVC DV BCR DV 600 also stopped working
Just to let you know that to change tapes for your camera or other systems may create a head clogging problem
By the way cleaning tape for both systems didnt work I had to send both systems to service (in a middle of a production :(
I have read this kind of troubles may exist and yes it happened to me

So next time I will be more prepared than sorry (Today I bought 100 tapes just in case)

Regards
Jose Noriega
Director
Mexico
www.video.com.mx