My FX1 stopped working. :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

My FX1 stopped working. :(

Yesterday after a shoot my FX1 stopped working. It won't power on, not with battereis or AC.

Anyone have any info as to how I check the warranty status and what to do to get it repaired?

Thanks!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

The good news is, I believe the FX1 has a nice 1 year warranty (I always recommend going for the 3-5 year warranty on cameras, in case of events like this). Just call up Sony's tech support center, the number found in the FX1's book, or try www.sony.com for more. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out!

BTW, sorry to hear about that! That really stinks, but good luck!

heath
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just out of curiosity, and with no knowledge to back it up, did you press the reset button?
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Good point, Steven.

heath
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #5
Trustee

I have never pushed that button, and I don't know if it works only on power up or not. But what the heck - it could not hurt.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #6
Major Player

I did try the reset button, both with the power turned on and turned off.

No change.

Good news on the warranty though, thanks Heath!
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

1 year parts, 90 days labor.

I'm 15 days out of the labor warranty. :(

The quote is $291 for repair.

I don't suppose B&H (where I got it) would be of any help in this situation.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #8
Trustee

Ouch. I bought the Mack warranty. If that is what B&H sells, that is what I buy. Works for me so far.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Ouch. I bought the Mack warranty. If that is what B&H sells, that is what I buy. Works for me so far.
Yeah, hindsight and all. ;)

Looks like B&H is also an authorized repair center for Sony so I'll them and see if their prices are any better than Sony directly.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Any tricks on getting a tape out if the unit won't power on?

They say it will be 14 days for repair and I'll really need that tape before then.

But I sure don't want to start messing with the tape mechanism. Is there a release switch or something or am I screwed?
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Called B&H to see if they could help out with Sony at all since my camera is only a few days out of warranty.

The 'customer service' guy eventually said he would submit it to Sony and they'd get back to me.

I then asked how they would contact me and he said, "Ok give me your phone number."

I then asked exactly what was going to happen and he said, "We'll contact Sony, then you."

I then asked what his name was for my records and we got 'discontected'. Hmmm...

Something tells me I'm not going to get much help from them. Now, I like B&H a lot and will continue to buy from them but I've *never* felt taken care of anytime I've dealt with customer service.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I had this happen on my Optura 20, cost me nothing the first time and $150 canadian the second time! The biggest advice to all you in camera charger owners: buy an external charger! it's way less risky. Anyway, now that I know that this can happen with any camcorder, I would always use an external charger with my Optura! (my dad's powershot G3)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
I had this happen on my Optura 20, cost me nothing the first time and $150 canadian the second time! The biggest advice to all you in camera charger owners: buy an external charger! it's way less risky. Anyway, now that I know that this can happen with any camcorder, I would always use an external charger with my Optura! (my dad's powershot G3)
I always charge my batteries in a charger.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #14
Regular Crew

MY new FX-1 died too.

Hi Bryan;
Sorry about your camera troubles. I had the same "dead" camera problem about two weeks ago with my FX-1. I sent it to Mack and they sent it to Sony. I have a tape in the camera that I would like to have but I am a hobbyist and do not absolutely need it. Sure is a pain to have a brand new camera and spend close to $70.00 for shipment to the repair shop and on top of the cost, I understand that the repair could take up to six weeks. Makes me wonder if I should have bought something else.
Gary
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smith
Hi Bryan;
Sorry about your camera troubles. I had the same "dead" camera problem about two weeks ago with my FX-1. I sent it to Mack and they sent it to Sony. I have a tape in the camera that I would like to have but I am a hobbyist and do not absolutely need it. Sure is a pain to have a brand new camera and spend close to $70.00 for shipment to the repair shop and on top of the cost, I understand that the repair could take up to six weeks. Makes me wonder if I should have bought something else.
Gary
Sony told me that the repair would take no more than 14 days.

I can't be out of commission for more than that. Even 2 weeks is tough. Camera goes off today.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1