My FX1 stopped working. :( - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #61
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
And I know it ONLY takes the 750, 770, and the 970 L series batteries.
Actually the Z1 is shipped with an NP-F570. I have also been using an NP-F960 with no problems whatsoever. Where did you get that idea?

I wouldn't think you could damage the FX1 by charging batteries on another camera, but I've never tried it myself.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Actually the Z1 is shipped with an NP-F570. I have also been using an NP-F960 with no problems whatsoever. Where did you get that idea?
Well, I got the idea fromt he FX1 Manual, and assumed that since it only takes NP-F*70's (5,7, and 9) I assumed the Z1 did also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I wouldn't think you could damage the FX1 by charging batteries on another camera, but I've never tried it myself.
Thanks for the clarrification. Its just that I'm overly paranoid. I'm fresh out of my Bachelors of Theatremaking with credits in Film Theory, Theatre and Film Direction, and Just bought an FX1 (due in Monday) and I just keep hearing horror stories. And all I really want to do is do event work, and make my own films and docos in my own time....

And since the only help I can get is this forum and Local one here is OZ, I'm not taking any chances. I think I should get some old Uni buddies together to join in on my Bussiness. But for now, I'm on my own.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #63
Wrangler

Quote:
Well, I got the idea fromt he FX1 Manual
The Z1 owners manual says the following on page 117: "This unit is compatible with the InfoLITHIUM battery pack (L series)". I don't see anything which says you can only use certain models of the L series batteries. Does the FX1 manual really say that?
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony FX1 Manual Page 13
NP-F330/F530/500/510/710 battery packs cannot be used with your camcorder
Now, I own a 330 Info-Lithium [L] Battery due to the one supplied with my Hi8 Camera. Its an L series, but its not allowed so says the manual... I wonder why?

If the Z1 and the FX1 share the same housing, shouldnt the power units be the same? Or have they ALSO found another problem with the camera and fixed it in the Z1 and not tell us?

YET, the Manual in Page 92, and 93 says that You can Use Info-Lithium [L] series batteries. No mention of limitations. *shrugs* Time to write a letter of dissatisfaction.
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #65
MPS Digital Studios

Another recommendation, keep your cameras, whichever kind, off when changing batteries. When they're on and you put a fresh battery in, over time that can cause damage to the camera.

heath
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #66
Major Player

I'll throw in an idea - never charge your batteries in the camera and if you do , protect it like you do your computer with a sophisticated backups. Electicity at the pump is never constant. Spend the extra on a separate charger and , Leo , yes you can charge your batteries thru your old hi8 and , yes , it's compatible. Sony has just upgraded battery models . I've got a tr3300 that uses the same model and is interchangable. It'll be less painful to loose your old hi8 than a new fx1 ! Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #67
Wrangler

Quote:
NP-F330/F530/500/510/710 battery packs cannot be used with your camcorder
That's interesting. I've never seen those model battieries myself though. But if it specifically says not to use them, then I wouldn't. Batteries and chargers are cheap... or at least a lot cheaper than a $3,000 camera! Look at the specs on the battery itself (should be on a label in fine print). Is there something different about the voltage maybe? Or maybe, since the FX1 charges the battery right on the camera, that has something to do with it?
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #68
Major Player

Leo - I was saying you can charge your new fx1 batteries in you hi8. It's just trickling a small voltage to your battery- I say it's compatible because I use the old model hi8 charging unit to charge my zs' batteries sometimes and it works perfectly. Using the hi8 camera should be the same. Now whether those older model L series batteries are incompatible with the fx/z - I'd recommend further research. I have put new L series batteries in my hi8 and they worked fine although I haven't done the reverse. I'd recommend simply purchasing at least one np-f970 and you can charge it using your old hi8 camera, or at least mine charges fine thru the old-style L series chargers made for hi8 cameras which , logic would say , would be charging them the same -Kurth.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #69
Major Player

G'day Boyd, Kurth,

Thanks for the input. I've actually decided to use my Hi8 to charge my batteries until I can get my hands on a Charger. It seems to work nicely, and I cant see anything wrong... for now. My Old Hi8 Camera is shot up anyway. It had a good 7 years of work on it, and I suddenly realised (after renting a FX1) that the onboard microphone had been shot for quite some time. (I never knew how good a basic mic could be. I just thought mics at that price were supposed to sound like that, but man!

Anyway, still waiting on my FX1... comes in tomorrow. I bought the 970, which surprisingly enough could not fit on my Hi8 camera because of a metal loop that held onto the shoulder strap. I had to get my plyers and carefully snip off the loop so the huge battery could fit. (You couldnt put it in the back, because the loop was in the way. you had to slid it in through the top and then push it in.)

Sony is crazy sometimes. (Or forces people to go crazy.)
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #70
Wrangler

Quote:
Sony is crazy sometimes. (Or forces people to go crazy.)
Because a new battery doesn't fit on a 7 year old camera? ;-)
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #71
Major Player

hahahah.... yea, I think I'm a little crazy. But the cam is broken anyway. If I posted my 3 minute video about car accidents, you'll notice just how bad my work was as of late because I just had so much trouble with it.

Its an old DCR-TRV130E PAL. And it does ok video, and sound, but since because I was a stupid young uni student amature, I never cleaned the heads, and never took much care of it. And most of the time, it gathered dust.

I spend so much more time 'saving' my footage rather than editing it. And some of my mates say that the end product look and sounds ok, but thats after I slave over the computer trying to adjust and adjust till I go insane.

Now with my recent purchase, I'm not taking any chances, and not making any shortcuts. And hopefully, the camera is the only thing I'll be throwing money at to solve my problems. (as when I got my 3 grand camcorder, back on the 90's I thought it answerd all my problems I had when I needed to make some docos.... It seems money dont make it work. (as I could have gotten a XM2 (GL1) for a few grand more, and actually learned how to use a pro cam...) I'm crazy man..... Crazy like a sane man stuck in a jazz club.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough
Yesterday after a shoot my FX1 stopped working. It won't power on, not with battereis or AC.

Anyone have any info as to how I check the warranty status and what to do to get it repaired?

Thanks!
I'll assume you got it fixed by now. Mine just did the same thing. Did you learn what was wrong?

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1