DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   My FX1 stopped working. :( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/44855-my-fx1-stopped-working.html)

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 07:50 AM

My FX1 stopped working. :(

Yesterday after a shoot my FX1 stopped working. It won't power on, not with battereis or AC.

Anyone have any info as to how I check the warranty status and what to do to get it repaired?

Thanks!

Heath McKnight May 19th, 2005 08:18 AM

The good news is, I believe the FX1 has a nice 1 year warranty (I always recommend going for the 3-5 year warranty on cameras, in case of events like this). Just call up Sony's tech support center, the number found in the FX1's book, or try www.sony.com for more. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out!

BTW, sorry to hear about that! That really stinks, but good luck!

heath

Steven Gotz May 19th, 2005 08:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just out of curiosity, and with no knowledge to back it up, did you press the reset button?

Heath McKnight May 19th, 2005 08:41 AM

Good point, Steven.

heath

Steven Gotz May 19th, 2005 08:44 AM

I have never pushed that button, and I don't know if it works only on power up or not. But what the heck - it could not hurt.

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 09:00 AM

I did try the reset button, both with the power turned on and turned off.

No change.

Good news on the warranty though, thanks Heath!

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 10:02 AM

1 year parts, 90 days labor.

I'm 15 days out of the labor warranty. :(

The quote is $291 for repair.

I don't suppose B&H (where I got it) would be of any help in this situation.

Steven Gotz May 19th, 2005 10:04 AM

Ouch. I bought the Mack warranty. If that is what B&H sells, that is what I buy. Works for me so far.

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Ouch. I bought the Mack warranty. If that is what B&H sells, that is what I buy. Works for me so far.

Yeah, hindsight and all. ;)

Looks like B&H is also an authorized repair center for Sony so I'll them and see if their prices are any better than Sony directly.

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 12:06 PM

Any tricks on getting a tape out if the unit won't power on?

They say it will be 14 days for repair and I'll really need that tape before then.

But I sure don't want to start messing with the tape mechanism. Is there a release switch or something or am I screwed?

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 01:22 PM

Called B&H to see if they could help out with Sony at all since my camera is only a few days out of warranty.

The 'customer service' guy eventually said he would submit it to Sony and they'd get back to me.

I then asked how they would contact me and he said, "Ok give me your phone number."

I then asked exactly what was going to happen and he said, "We'll contact Sony, then you."

I then asked what his name was for my records and we got 'discontected'. Hmmm...

Something tells me I'm not going to get much help from them. Now, I like B&H a lot and will continue to buy from them but I've *never* felt taken care of anytime I've dealt with customer service.

Jack Zhang May 19th, 2005 04:39 PM

I had this happen on my Optura 20, cost me nothing the first time and $150 canadian the second time! The biggest advice to all you in camera charger owners: buy an external charger! it's way less risky. Anyway, now that I know that this can happen with any camcorder, I would always use an external charger with my Optura! (my dad's powershot G3)

Bryan McCullough May 19th, 2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
I had this happen on my Optura 20, cost me nothing the first time and $150 canadian the second time! The biggest advice to all you in camera charger owners: buy an external charger! it's way less risky. Anyway, now that I know that this can happen with any camcorder, I would always use an external charger with my Optura! (my dad's powershot G3)

I always charge my batteries in a charger.

Gary Smith May 20th, 2005 10:02 AM

MY new FX-1 died too.

Hi Bryan;
Sorry about your camera troubles. I had the same "dead" camera problem about two weeks ago with my FX-1. I sent it to Mack and they sent it to Sony. I have a tape in the camera that I would like to have but I am a hobbyist and do not absolutely need it. Sure is a pain to have a brand new camera and spend close to $70.00 for shipment to the repair shop and on top of the cost, I understand that the repair could take up to six weeks. Makes me wonder if I should have bought something else.
Gary

Bryan McCullough May 20th, 2005 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Smith
Hi Bryan;
Sorry about your camera troubles. I had the same "dead" camera problem about two weeks ago with my FX-1. I sent it to Mack and they sent it to Sony. I have a tape in the camera that I would like to have but I am a hobbyist and do not absolutely need it. Sure is a pain to have a brand new camera and spend close to $70.00 for shipment to the repair shop and on top of the cost, I understand that the repair could take up to six weeks. Makes me wonder if I should have bought something else.
Gary

Sony told me that the repair would take no more than 14 days.

I can't be out of commission for more than that. Even 2 weeks is tough. Camera goes off today.