View Full Version : New Bridal Prep

Glen Elliott
June 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3///CockingPrep.wmv

Matt Trubac
June 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Hey Glen,

That was cool man. I liked the wipes with the footage. Its something I've thought about trying to do sometime to keep everything flowing together. I also thought the birds were a nice touch! Your Clips Get Better Everytime!

Matt Trubac
TruVision Studios
Phone: 517 282-2915
http://www.TruVisionStudios.com
Matt@TruVisionStudios.com

Mike Teutsch
June 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Very impressive!

Mike

Glen Elliott
June 23rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys.

One note about the birds- they were added in post (both of them...sea gulls and standard). I usually try to work with another soundbed in addition to the music track but to make a long story short my VO's from the couple wouldn't have worked in this piece. So I tried to flesh it out a bit with some sound effects for ambience.

Peter Jefferson
June 23rd, 2005, 09:14 PM
very fluid mate :)

as usual, a piece which sets new standards to the genre.

i I recall you mentioned once that you spent considerable amount of time on your projects and this (as well as your other work) shows

with regard to the actual piece itself, i liked the naturalness of the selected footage. This felt a lot fresher.

I also noticed you experienced the stuttery slowmotion which Vegas is infamous for.
As you use a PD170, your obviously shooting in 60i, then converting to 24p in post. With slowmotion and Vegas, its best to render the master to its native format then transcode to progressive

It took me a while to fix the slow mo problem of vegas but heres the solution.
This works particularly well with delivery to progressive.
As i shoot progressive, sometimes i need to match footage and this is the best slow mo solution i have come up with for interlaced source to progressive delivery.

1) right click your slow mo clip and go to properties,
2) highlight force resample and reduce interlace flicker.
3) make sure that the clip itself is still in interlaced mode.
4) Turn on supersampling if you feel that its still not smooth.
5) If its reveresed footage, make sure you reset your field order, as reversing footage also reveres the field order.

Render this out and replace the original.
(the next bit you prolly know but some people dont so ill say it anyway.

once u finish you movie and you have your full presentation complete, render out your edit in the native format again to create one long movie in dv avi 60i

reimport this into a new track on ur timeline. This track should be on the topmost level. Go to File, properties and switch it from its native interlaced to progressive 24p
In the project, go to your preview panel and select the effect button and run Smart Deinterlacer. This is going to affect every output.
with this filter, Turn on frame and field differencing, compare colour channel (instead of luma), turn on use cubic for interpolation, turn on motion map denoising, and turn the latency down to 5 in both boxes. Leave the advanced processing blank.
From here, render out to mpg2 progressive.
the way this works is that before the deinterlacing is done within Vegas, its already been deinterlaced within the plugin. So vegas will see it as native Progressive and not process it, only transcode.
This is much cleaner so by the time the vegas engine gets to it, all the processing is already done through the refinements of the plugin.
These refinements should be available in Vegas on their own, but for some reason, Sony (and every other NLE which deinterlaces) feel that these tweaks arent necessary.

Sorry to go on a tangent there, but your work is too good to let a technical limitation mar the super smoother motin you have within the whole piece.

I really do like your stuff, and when i watch it, i sometimes see something that makes me ask myself "why didt i think of that"
When i get like that, i know im watching something worthwhile :)

cheers mate

Mike Cook
June 24th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Nice Glen,

Two questions. Where was this? I liked the harbour shots but boy did it look familiar.

When you cut your wipes, are you using a keyframed garbage matte or what?

Cheers

Mike

Glen Elliott
June 24th, 2005, 09:33 AM
very fluid mate :)

as usual, a piece which sets new standards to the genre.

i I recall you mentioned once that you spent considerable amount of time on your projects and this (as well as your other work) shows

with regard to the actual piece itself, i liked the naturalness of the selected footage. This felt a lot fresher.

I also noticed you experienced the stuttery slowmotion which Vegas is infamous for.
As you use a PD170, your obviously shooting in 60i, then converting to 24p in post. With slowmotion and Vegas, its best to render the master to its native format then transcode to progressive

Peter- I don't render out to 24p. I shoot 60i and render out to standard 60i. I haven't seen any stuttery slowmotion- maybe it's a problem with the codec/machine your viewing it on? The only shot that may look a bit odd is one close up of the bride's face. It might look a bit motion blurred or stuttery somewhat, because it's been slowed down considerably past 25% speed.

Could you describe the location (minute:second) where your seeing stutters?

Glen Elliott
June 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Nice Glen,

Two questions. Where was this? I liked the harbour shots but boy did it look familiar.

When you cut your wipes, are you using a keyframed garbage matte or what?

Cheers

Mike

The bride prepared in Margate City, NJ. The church was in Vineland, NJ.

The wipes were Vegas's "cross" transition with tweaked angle and feather.

Thanks.

Patrick Pike
June 24th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Glen-

I really liked this peice and I think it is some of your best work. You made very good use of camera movement and transitions to make the video "flow" with the music. Camera work is excellent as always. I'm curious as to how much time (roughly of course) creating this cut took. Thanks for posting this and giving us all new ideas to work with!

Keep up the good work!
Patrick

Tim Borek
June 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Glen,

Your bridal prep segment was gorgeous. How lucky you are to have brides willing to let you be involved in their preparations. Out of the 19 or so weddings I've shot so far, only two have opted for any extensive pre-ceremony coverage. Many of my brides arrive fully dressed, so there are no "zipping up the gown" scenes for me to shoot; I'm lucky to catch a litle touch-up makeup or jewelry tweaking. For example, I shot a small wedding two weeks ago where the wedding party arrived fully dressed 15 minutes before the ceremony. Only pre-wedding coverage they wanted -- other than the requisite establishing shots and cutaways -- were quick last-minute interviews to record their thoughts and feelings 5 minutes before the ceremony. Emotions were definitely running high, at least. After the ceremony, they snapped their still photos outside. Maybe it's a regional thing, or my clients are so budget conscious they don't feel my hanging around two hours before their wedding is worthwhile. Good for you!

What I will do to drum up more preparation coverage is offer to include the time in my next wedding for free, then include it in my demo. When people can see what they're missing, they'll start purchasing it either as an add-on or a longer block of time.

Thanks for sharing. Again, nice job. I like your moving camera techniques.

(BTW, is the 16:9 real or letterboxed?)

T.J.

Peter Jefferson
June 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Hey Glen,
I was of the understanding that you had been converting your 60i footage? Sorry mate.

As for the slow mo, im running WM9 (heard about some issues with WM10)
the monitors im using are 12ms mitsubishi flat panels at 1152x864.
The jittery bit i was refering to was right at the end when the bride turns her head to the left (from memory) Its not that noticable, but after having afew slowmotion issues myself, i thought id mention that fix.
But like i said, its a gorgeous piece, and im sure the bride would love it..

cheers
P

Mark Williams
June 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Man, you have nailed it right on.

Regards,

Mark

Ralph Longo
June 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Just as I start to feel good about my stuff again you post something new :) Your stuff is awesome I hope to get even remotely in your ballpark someday as a videographer.

Glen Elliott
June 27th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Glen-

I really liked this peice and I think it is some of your best work. You made very good use of camera movement and transitions to make the video "flow" with the music. Camera work is excellent as always. I'm curious as to how much time (roughly of course) creating this cut took. Thanks for posting this and giving us all new ideas to work with!

Keep up the good work!
Patrick

Starting from picking shots to the final cut- this piece took about 7 hours.

Glen Elliott
June 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Glen,

Your bridal prep segment was gorgeous. How lucky you are to have brides willing to let you be involved in their preparations. Out of the 19 or so weddings I've shot so far, only two have opted for any extensive pre-ceremony coverage. Many of my brides arrive fully dressed, so there are no "zipping up the gown" scenes for me to shoot; I'm lucky to catch a litle touch-up makeup or jewelry tweaking. For example, I shot a small wedding two weeks ago where the wedding party arrived fully dressed 15 minutes before the ceremony. Only pre-wedding coverage they wanted -- other than the requisite establishing shots and cutaways -- were quick last-minute interviews to record their thoughts and feelings 5 minutes before the ceremony. Emotions were definitely running high, at least. After the ceremony, they snapped their still photos outside. Maybe it's a regional thing, or my clients are so budget conscious they don't feel my hanging around two hours before their wedding is worthwhile. Good for you!

What I will do to drum up more preparation coverage is offer to include the time in my next wedding for free, then include it in my demo. When people can see what they're missing, they'll start purchasing it either as an add-on or a longer block of time.

Thanks for sharing. Again, nice job. I like your moving camera techniques.

(BTW, is the 16:9 real or letterboxed?)

T.J.

I don't know how much it's a regional thing- it's more specific to the bride I suppose. Some brides don't want a bridal prep at all and others want everything captured. I'd have to say the majority of brides purchase the coverage to cover a bridal prep.

Glen Elliott
June 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Hey Glen,
I was of the understanding that you had been converting your 60i footage? Sorry mate.

As for the slow mo, im running WM9 (heard about some issues with WM10)
the monitors im using are 12ms mitsubishi flat panels at 1152x864.
The jittery bit i was refering to was right at the end when the bride turns her head to the left (from memory) Its not that noticable, but after having afew slowmotion issues myself, i thought id mention that fix.
But like i said, its a gorgeous piece, and im sure the bride would love it..

cheers
P

Yeah that shot you described is a bit "stroby". It was slowed to 25% via the ctrl+drag then added a velocity envelope to slow it down even further.

I find that it starts to look like this when Vegas has to interpolate a large amount of frames due to extreme slow motion. Thanks for the input Peter.

Glen Elliott
June 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Just as I start to feel good about my stuff again you post something new :) Your stuff is awesome I hope to get even remotely in your ballpark someday as a videographer.

Thank you kindly Ralph. Just watch as much work from the videographers you enjoy and you'll start to learn styles and techniques. I find that I make the most progress when I:
1. Experiment (through sheer experience)
and
2. Draw inspiration from other Videographers (studying work of videographers I find particularly talented)

Take care.

Peter Jefferson
June 28th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Hey Glen,
I find that when i need to slow things down to those extremes, i usually bring it down to 50%, render, replace, then slow it down aagain to 50% then render and replace. Also forcing a resample makes vegas draw an interpolation for a "simpler" algorythm, in therory keeping things on an even figure to the master frame rate, you can literally draw in fake frames (with time and multiple passes)

dude you really have some good material out there, I really do find inspiration from talented people, but im loathe to imitate (even though its the purest form of flattery)
Im yet to post afew clips for public viewing simply due to the market out here is so finite, that what one person may think is nice, another wont like the music etc which may then stop them from even contacting me.
My music and style choices are very different to what is regularly seen on this site.

Maybe ill throw something up with a hidden url for this site only.. i'll ask my web dude and see what he thinks. I dont think ive ever posted anything for viewing actually..

but one thing, i really do hope you charge these clients accordingly!!
with the amount of hours put into these projects, some people just dont appreciate the bigger picture and the work that it involves.

Glen Elliott
June 28th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Hey Glen,
I find that when i need to slow things down to those extremes, i usually bring it down to 50%, render, replace, then slow it down aagain to 50% then render and replace. Also forcing a resample makes vegas draw an interpolation for a "simpler" algorythm, in therory keeping things on an even figure to the master frame rate, you can literally draw in fake frames (with time and multiple passes)
Very interesting technique...I'll have to give that as shot. Another thing I haven't experimented with is super-sampling. Have you found that it can improve slow motion interpolation?

dude you really have some good material out there, I really do find inspiration from talented people, but im loathe to imitate (even though its the purest form of flattery)
Thank you kindly. I learned a lot of what I know through "imitation". Even my artwork- as a kid I used to draw images from comic books. Even though your copying your also teaching yourself as you go through the motions. In time I was able to draw very similarly to the artwork in the comics I copied.

Im yet to post afew clips for public viewing simply due to the market out here is so finite, that what one person may think is nice, another wont like the music etc which may then stop them from even contacting me.
My music and style choices are very different to what is regularly seen on this site.
Sounds great- I'd love to see some of your work.

Maybe ill throw something up with a hidden url for this site only.. i'll ask my web dude and see what he thinks. I dont think ive ever posted anything for viewing actually..

with the amount of hours put into these projects, some people just dont appreciate the bigger picture and the work that it involves.
I'm getting there- I'm still around 2-2.5k behind some of the videographers in my region.

Leonardo Silva Jr.
June 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Hello to all, I am new to this industry, I am from philippines. would like to learn as much as possible from this site, will be using a gl2 for wedding shoots, any from you guys any advise from where i could start? and techniques in shooting wedding videos?

to glenn...from the post of other guys your video is good but i can not download the file...it would be great if you can send it to me via email...leonardosky77@yahoo.com if you don't mind...thanks ;)

Ralph Longo
June 28th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Thank you kindly Ralph. Just watch as much work from the videographers you enjoy and you'll start to learn styles and techniques. I find that I make the most progress when I:
1. Experiment (through sheer experience)
and
2. Draw inspiration from other Videographers (studying work of videographers I find particularly talented)

Take care. Thank you, as far as my experience goes, I'm still new at this I'm sure with time I will get very good. As far as #2 I watch everything you put up :)

Glen Elliott
June 29th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Hello to all, I am new to this industry, I am from philippines. would like to learn as much as possible from this site, will be using a gl2 for wedding shoots, any from you guys any advise from where i could start? and techniques in shooting wedding videos?

to glenn...from the post of other guys your video is good but i can not download the file...it would be great if you can send it to me via email...leonardosky77@yahoo.com if you don't mind...thanks ;)

You may have checked it when it was down for a day or two. It's back up now.

Peter Jefferson
July 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Very interesting technique...I'll have to give that as shot.

((it makes a big difference as the differential between frams is actaully far more accurate as Vegas only requires to generate half the frames throgh interpolation.
for eg
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII this is your full second worth of data @ 25fps

half that down ot 50% speed
IOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIO

the zeros repesent the interpolated fill in frame. this is ok, as the two frams are literally drawn with perfect differences

BUT if u extend it beyond 50%
IOOIOOIOOIOOIOOIOO

youll notice that there will be less reference material for the interpolation
It still looks good, but not as accurate.

if you
IOIOIOIO
then render out to
II*II*II*II*

I* being the new frames

then slow down again, you are given more accurate reference material which isnt as stuttery simply due to the abundence of original material.

This usually gives a 2:1 reference figure, compared to doing a direct slowdown from 100% down to 25% which in turn would give you a 4:1 difference and look like this
IOOOIOOOIOOO
Youd end up with less reference data and more interpolated data which cannot physically be as accurate or smooth as the original. It can be close, but its not the same..

"Another thing I haven't experimented with is super-sampling. Have you found that it can improve slow motion interpolation?"
Definately. If you force a resample of data or a transcode, supersamplig does wonders. And running it at 2, wont change the speed of the render. Running at 8 will take forever to render but its worth it, U can use this instead of my multirender slow mo retouine and get similar results, as the resampling or "redraw" is doubled, basically overscanned or oversampled (as in music oversampling routines)
It works well If your transcoding data or changing frame rates for different regions or specific jobs (anything which changes the physical structure of the original, excpet filters. Changes such as such as progressive conversion, field swapping, transcoding for different regions etc etc)

Thank you kindly. I learned a lot of what I know through "imitation". Even my artwork- as a kid I used to draw images from comic books. Even though your copying your also teaching yourself as you go through the motions. In time I was able to draw very similarly to the artwork in the comics I copied.

((Groovy :) I too like to see what people do.. although i do imitate certain shots, in this game i guess its to be expected that things will look similar. Problem here in Aus is that the market is so stale that any new ideas are usually ripped off real fast, hence the lack of online demos))

Sounds great- I'd love to see some of your work.
(ID love to show it.. id really like some fedback.. maybe when i finish these 9 weddings, ill be able to throw something up!))

I'm getting there- I'm still around 2-2.5k behind some of the videographers in my region.

((same here, Im too cheap for what they get, but for me, at the moment, its about building a good client base, and reputation. I charge about half of what i shoudl and take much longer to deliver as im so damn pedantic.. lol

Being in sydney, competition is massive and some guys have been at it for years. Theyve got the experience and the skills, but from the work ive seen, they al follow the same formula which is nice, but is extremely unoriginal (i actually supply about 80% of videographers in sydney with their supplies.. ive even shot for a few of them, so ive seen alot of different demos)

Sometimes i get a lil depressed when i see how much some of these guys charge, but i think that by the time i get to that level with domestic clients, my broadcast stuff will still be there. By then, these guys would be wanting to get into the corporate market (where i come from) SO im wher ethey want to be and theyre were i want to be..
Some of these guys dont do half the stuff i do.. yet.
I just try to think happy thoughts until the day comes when i can charge a standard 3grand for a basic wedding job and people will pay without question.

until then, its practice practice practice..

dude i really do think you can justify a higher rate. I dont knwo what your ultimate $$ goal is, however, your work shows how much u care for what u do.

Colby Knight
July 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
Wow. I have something to aspire to on my next wedding! Great work!

What was the music used? Very, very nice. Excellent choice.

Glen Elliott
July 1st, 2005, 11:40 PM
Wow. I have something to aspire to on my next wedding! Great work!

What was the music used? Very, very nice. Excellent choice.

Thank you. The song was from the How to Make an American Quilt soundtrack.

Joven OHara
July 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Hello Glenn- Just wanted to find out from you what kind of color correction do you do if any with Vegas? Your videos are so clear and color saturation is very good. Do you just eyeball it or do you have a preset that you use? plug-ins?
Thanks for the response!!! Great video as always and wish I can emulate your work even just a bit.
More power!!!!

Glen Elliott
July 6th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Hello Glenn- Just wanted to find out from you what kind of color correction do you do if any with Vegas? Your videos are so clear and color saturation is very good. Do you just eyeball it or do you have a preset that you use? plug-ins?
Thanks for the response!!! Great video as always and wish I can emulate your work even just a bit.
More power!!!!

Thank you. Yes, all my vignette portions are artistically color corrected. Artistically meaning it wasn't mean to look 100% natural and neutral. I usually crush the blacks, push the saturation, and diffuse the highlights.

All effect I used are a combination of Levels, Color Corrector, and Glow.

Leonardo Silva Jr.
July 21st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Thank you. Yes, all my vignette portions are artistically color corrected. Artistically meaning it wasn't mean to look 100% natural and neutral. I usually crush the blacks, push the saturation, and diffuse the highlights.

All effect I used are a combination of Levels, Color Corrector, and Glow.

these levels, color corrector and glow effects...do you use your eyes to correct them or do you use any monitoring instrument to do that? and if by eyes...i am very much interested on the basics how you do it by such. any points to look into when correcting? thanks, i keep on viewing the clip. ;)

Glen Elliott
July 22nd, 2005, 06:08 AM
these levels, color corrector and glow effects...do you use your eyes to correct them or do you use any monitoring instrument to do that? and if by eyes...i am very much interested on the basics how you do it by such. any points to look into when correcting? thanks, i keep on viewing the clip. ;)

Both. I use an external studio monitor and use the visual aid of the Vegas histogram when I make changes to the exposure.

Regarding "pointers"- what are you referring to?...simple color correction or artistic filtering?

Leonardo Silva Jr.
July 22nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Both. I use an external studio monitor and use the visual aid of the Vegas histogram when I make changes to the exposure.

Regarding "pointers"- what are you referring to?...simple color correction or artistic filtering?

oh, visual aid of vegas' histogram? how is that done? pls bear with my ignaorance.

yup, pointers on how to do color correction and filtering? how the exposure is set to correct etc. thanks glen.

Glen Elliott
July 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
oh, visual aid of vegas' histogram? how is that done? pls bear with my ignaorance.

yup, pointers on how to do color correction and filtering? how the exposure is set to correct etc. thanks glen.

I always do my exposure correction in conjunction with the histogram. The histogram will give you a visual reference of the amount of highlights and shadows in your image. I try my best to get a "full" histogram, meaning the curve doesn't fall off on the left or right side. Many say that Color Curves is more powerfull, and it may very well be...however I've found I have very good control with the "Levels" filter while monitoring my histogram. From "Levels" I can adjust my inpoint (black point), outpoint (white point), and gamma (greys).
What NLE are you using? Vegas has a little info button for each filter- if you click it for the "Levels" filter it'll describe how it's used in much more detail.

Now correcting your "color" is completly different than exposure. I use the standard "Color corrector" for this. If your footage is exibiting a color cast, say it is overly orangy and warm (for example), you want to drag the color wheels in the opposite direction of the cast. In this case the blues would be opposite of the reds/oranges. Adding the complimentary color will help equalize the color on an improperly white-balanced cam. There are short-cuts available, including the one-click option of using the droppers. You simply choose the dropper for one of the 3 wheels and click a part of the image that is a pure white- pure- grey or pure black for each of the wheels. When using the "hightlight wheel" dropper and you click on, say, a white dress. If the dropper notices shades of "blue", for example, it'll AUTOMATICALY equilize the color so it's neutral white without a color cast. Often times this is good enough- other times it doesn't nail it exactly and more manual tweaking of the wheels is needed.

Color correction is a perplexing subject- much broader than the scope of what I can write in a thread on a forum. There are entire books written about the process. I suggest starting with your NLE and seeing if they have read-me files or help files built in to the individual filters. Read up, experiement, and find what works best for you. Best of luck to you.

Satay Smith
July 26th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Hello Glen,

Thank you for sharing your color correction technique.

I am a later comer on this thread. The URL that you have stated earlier cannot be found, I will appreciate it if you can put up the clip for download again. Can't wait to see another of your masterpiece.

Leonardo Silva Jr.
July 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM
hello Glen, this really helps. :) thanks you for sharing your color correction technique, for the meantime, i really have to cope up doing this, i am just starting to learn vegas and premiere. whichever is more handy and user friendly which will not trade quality and features.

Joaquin Murrieta
July 30th, 2005, 09:22 PM
id love to see the clip if possible,, the link wasn't working for me on july 30th, please and thankyou for your time

James Landsburger
August 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Ok - I'll put in my vote too. I've been hoping to see this thing for months now...

:-)

Glen Elliott
August 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Ok - I'll put in my vote too. I've been hoping to see this thing for months now...

:-)

I'll see what I can do- I'm not even sure if the clip is still on the HD. Might have to be after my trip to Vegas next week. Thanks for the interest non the less.

Christopher Farrugia
August 5th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Maybe someon who has already downloaded the clip can send it or put it online if glenn will not be able to find it.

Thanks a lot
Chris

James Landsburger
August 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Maybe someon who has already downloaded the clip can send it or put it online if glenn will not be able to find it.

Thanks a lot
Chris

Good idea Chris - or maybe Glen will find it now that WEVA is over...