View Full Version : Libec Zoom Controller for EX3 Promo

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Morrison
February 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Scott says there are some issues with some ex3 models.

How many different models of EX3's are there?

;-)

Chad Johnson
February 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Some "models" might be from early runs and have different firmware etc.

Scott Cantrell
February 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hello DVinfo! Been a while since I visited this thread! Glad to see alot of you responding on your personal experience with Libec's ZC-9EX zoom controller.

The ZC9EX zoom controllers that were, and actually still are, on special from TapeWorks for $165 are being offered at discouned pricing from Libec because they are an older model. Per Libec these ZC-9EX zoom controllers work on both the EX1 and EX1R
On these older models, Libec's wiring was not capable to work with some of the newer EX3's because Sony had changed the firmware in the EX3 around November 2009. Any EX3 purchased before Nov 09 should work just fine with these older ZC9EX zoom controllers.
This is dependant upon the firmware update on the EX3 as well as it only applies to the older batch of controllers.
This information was relayed to me directly from Libec who are advertising the older batch of zoom controllers to only work with the EX1 and 1R.

The new batch of ZC-9EX zoom controllers are advertised to work on the EX1, EX1R and EX3 which sell for $199 from Tapeworks Texas Inc

Niether the older or newer batches of Libec's controllers are being "advertised" to work with the PMW350

Therefore, when I stated to Tom that the controller was not supposed to work with the PMW350, this was due to Libec had not authorized/advertised for it to work. Not to mention that I had not heard of anyone trying it on the PMW350, so I could not even speculate if it would work. Tom, Great to hear that it works! With that being said, I was not "wrong" in my statement, just providing the only information made available to me as related from the Manufacture.

There was one time that I thought I was wrong, but then I found out that I was mistaken.

As always, I am available here at Tapeworks toll free 866-827-3489 if I can assist further.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Chad Johnson
February 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Chad,
Scott is helpful and supportive, but also sometimes wrong. He told me it did not work with the new PMW350, which turned out to be incorrect. Works perfectly with it.

I found Scott to be knowledgeable and very helpful. He was not "wrong" about any info he gave me. I have my Libec ZC9EX shipping up to Humboldt, and I got a great price. I'm happy.

Ed Kukla
February 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
"On these older models, Libec's wiring was not capable to work with some of the newer EX3's because Sony had changed the firmware in the EX3 around November 2009. Any EX3 purchased before Nov 09 should work just fine with these older ZC9EX zoom controllers."

Scott, does this mean if I do a firmware update, my libec might no longer work with my EX-3?? I bought this camera in march of 09

Andrew Stone
February 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
My concern, Ed, is if this the firmware change makes the Libec inoperable then it should affect both new and old EX3's.

Scott Cantrell
February 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Ed, I just spoke with Libec and you are correct, if you upgrade your EX3 to the newest firmware update, you "may" have problems with the older ZC9EX zoom controller you purchased. If and when this happens, please contact me and I will see what I can do to assist!

Andrew, if I understand your concern correctly, the compatibility issue is only with the older models of the ZC9EX woking with the newest Nov 09 firmware update on the EX3's.

Scott Cantrell

Chad Johnson
February 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I Just got my libec ZC-9EX and it works great! I can creep very slowly - more-so than the zoom rocker on the camera itself. No stutters - just slow as can be. Thanks Scott! I still need that invoice.

Cees van Kempen
April 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Just received my new ZC-9EX Libec Zoom Controller. The supplied EX connector does however not fit on my EX3. The Female connector on the camera has it's 8 pins in a circle, whereas the Male on the controllers cable has 7 of the pins in a circle and 1 pin in the centre. I also believe the sizes are different. Has anyone experiened the same? Did I get a wrong connector or has the design of the EX3 changed lately?

Chad Johnson
April 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think you just don't use the extension cable that breaks away. I could be wrong, but that may be it.

Cees van Kempen
April 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Without the extension cable it doesn't fit either. The male plug is then by far to large.

Chad Johnson
April 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Just call the place you bought it from.

Ed Kukla
April 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Cees

did you receive a very short adapter cable with your controller? The controller needs the adapter to work with the EX cameras

Cees van Kempen
April 17th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Ed,

Yes, but this short cable does not fit to the camera. I'l have to contact the dealer on Monday.

Cees

Andrew Stone
April 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Cees, does your adapter plug from your Libec unit look different from the one linked below?

Cees van Kempen
April 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for the picture. No, it just looks like that. But the connector on the camera is different. On your picture the 8 pins are all in one circle. On my camera there are 7 pins (female) in the circle, and one in the centre. Do I have a special camera??

Harry Christensen
April 22nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
When I got my Libec I thought the same thing... I was trying to plug it into the remote port and the back of the camera. The I discovered the lens remote port at the front of the lens controller. Just a thought.

Cees van Kempen
April 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Bingo Harry. That is the solution. I was just fooled by the 'Remote' plug on the back of the camera. Thanks.

Harry Christensen
April 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Glad to help.

Federico Campanale
April 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
@ Cees:

Could you tell where you got it? I'm in NL too and think i'd like to buy one for my EX1R...
Thx.

Cees van Kempen
April 27th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I bought it from AVMedia VJD Duiven