View Full Version : Libec Zoom Controller for EX3 Promo

Pages : [1] 2

Scott Cantrell
November 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Tapeworks is providing a Promo on the Libec ZC-9EX Zoom controller for the PMWEX3 for the month of November 2009 Only.
Promo Price: $165.00

Call Tapeworks Texas Inc Toll Free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Doug Jensen
November 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Why single out the EX3? The EX1 and EX1R use the same connector.
I'd suggest broadening the scope of your promotion.

Christian Filippone
November 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Is this promo also available for Australian customers?

Kalunga Lima
November 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have a Libec ZC-9EX for my EX1 and it works great. I use it extensively when my EX1 is on a jib and also when mounting the camera on my car with a gripper (fantastic vehicle tracking shots). Make sure you tape up the connectors between the two cables so they don't come loose. The ZC-9EX is made up of a long cable with the control unit (zoom and trigger), plus a short on that has the proper adapter for the camera.

Scott Cantrell
November 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Doug, as a matter of fact you are correct. The Libec ZC-9EX does also work on the PMWEX1 as well as the EX3.
As long as the connectivity remains the same on the EX1R, it will work on it as well.

Christian, unfortunately this promotion is for US/Canada customers only. Hopefully one of your local Libec resellers will offer you a promo!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell

Bob Jackson
November 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Amazing.
Great product for EX-1.
I ordered this item from Scott on Nov.09/09.
Arrived Nov 13/09.
Nothing ever moves that fast in Canada!!!!!

Tom Roper
November 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I ordered the ZC-9EX Libec Zoom Controller promo from Scott too. Great vendor.

Scott Cantrell
November 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Bob and Tom, Thank you very much for your orders!

Just want to let everyone know that this promo is still on-going for the month of November ONLY!

Please contact Tapeworks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489 if you have any questions or would like to place an order.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell

Leonard Levy
November 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I've looked at a couple of reviews of this and still have a couple of questions.

1. Can you really feather a smooth start and stop that is substantially better than what you can get with the Sony on-camera controls? I other words does it compare to a profesional quality zoom controller on 2/3" cameras. I don't even know if this possible with those servos.

2. I read of complaints that it didn't connect to tripod arm very well. Is this still the case?

Garrett Low
November 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I too would be very interested in the answers to Leonard's questions. And, if someone who has a ZC-9EX could post an example of the zoom start and stop that would be great.

Thanks,
Garrett

Andrew Stone
November 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Check out this video Paul Joy made (I believe he posts here) showing the Libec zoom control in action. Very telling...

Libec ZC-9EX on Vimeo

$165 for an EX1/3 zoom control is a VERY good price.

Bob Jackson
November 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised you don't have one of these great items Andrew.
Works very well on a tripod.
No mounting issues , zoom rocker is very smooth.
Now i have to get some kind of focus controller.

Tom Roper
November 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I just spent a few minutes with Zoom Controller for my EX1, and it works very nice.

It's well built, professional quality. I have the Libec T72 tripod with H55 head, and the Zoom controller clamps very securely to the handle. It has rubber v-pads to grip the shaft. The zoom rocker is very smooth, I would say it's an improvement over the rocker switch on the camera. It seems to have a little more range of movement, is very smooth and precise at each end. Ergonomically, you can easily pan the head while simultaneously zooming in or out with just your thumb, fully one handed control. The record button is within easy reach of the thumb, and has a nice tactile if inaudible click. (I hope it's inaudible, didn't really put that to the test.)

My judgment is that there is no issue with the tripod arm (on my H55 Libec), it's a secure fit that doesn't rotate or slip. You can feather a smooth start and stop. Is it substantially better than the on-camera rocker? It seems at least as good, to me a little better, I'd say marginally, chiefly on the larger range of movement, but there were no gaps or dead zones at all. I think it's better, but I didn't really have many problems with the on-camera rocker either, but I do think this is fair amount easier to use, and frees up one hand.

This is worth the money at this price, a nice accessory.

Garrett Low
November 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the reviews and thanks to Scott. I've got one on order and it should be on its way to me.

There is a chance that it will arrive before this weekend and if it does I'll be able to test it on a shoot I have on Saturday (of course I'll do some test runs first but there is nothing like testing equipment under actual use). I'll post my experience with it.

Garrett

Bob Jackson
November 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
No need to test.
Works out of the box great.
Any Ex camera on a tripod needs on of these gadgets.
Mine arrived in 3 days to Canada, yours might arrive overnight.

Andrew Stone
November 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'm surprised you don't have one of these great items Andrew. Works very well on a tripod.No mounting issues , zoom rocker is very smooth.

Well I have the Manfrotto one Bob. I was desperate for one when I got my EX3 and the Manfrotto was the only one I could find at the time.

The Manfrotto has as little thumbwheel for dialing up how much zoom you want in the rocker which is kind of nice. It does get rid of a lot of the notchiness but Paul Joy's video has me ALMOST convinced that the Libec is better at delivering smoother and more controlled feathering.

How long is this sale on for?

Joe Yaggi
November 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hi Kalunga,

Sorry guys for off topic q.

Kalunga, you mention a gripper for vehicle tracking shots below. Can you tell me more? Where did you get it and what do they cost? I'm keen to know more. Using EX3 w/ ST-7 shoulder mount and Nano Flash.

Cheers mate,

Joe

I have a Libec ZC-9EX for my EX1 and it works great. I use it extensively when my EX1 is on a jib and also when mounting the camera on my car with a gripper (fantastic vehicle tracking shots). Make sure you tape up the connectors between the two cables so they don't come loose. The ZC-9EX is made up of a long cable with the control unit (zoom and trigger), plus a short on that has the proper adapter for the camera.

Scott Cantrell
November 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks to everyone that has purchased their Libec zoom controller from Tapeworks Texas Inc. I am really glad to see some of you posting your reviews on the product!

Just a reminder that there are only 5 business days remaining on this promo!
Please contact Tapeworks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell

Garrett Low
November 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to say I got one of these controllers and just finished a shoot with it on Saturday. Great controller for the money. Very smooth start and stop and easy to control. For the price you definitely can't go wrong.

Scott at Tapeworks Texas was also great to work with. He got it sent to me in time to use for my shoot.

Thanks Scott!

-Garrett

Scott Cantrell
November 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Garrett, Thank you for choosing Tapeworks Texas Inc for your Pro A/V purchase!

Just a reminder to everyone that today is the last day for this promotion which we will take orders for the ZC9EX for $165 until 3pm CST.

Contact us Toll Free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell

Scott Cantrell
December 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Due to Popularity, Libec and Tapeworks Texas Inc has extended this Promo until this upcoming Friday 12/04/09 by 3:30PM CST

Contact Tapeworks Texas Inc Toll Free 866-827-3489

Scott Cantrell

Bob Jackson
December 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Well I have the Manfrotto one Bob. I was desperate for one when I got my EX3 and the Manfrotto was the only one I could find at the time.

The Manfrotto has as little thumbwheel for dialing up how much zoom you want in the rocker which is kind of nice. It does get rid of a lot of the notchiness but Paul Joy's video has me ALMOST convinced that the Libec is better at delivering smoother and more controlled feathering.

How long is this sale on for?

Looks as though they are going to continue sale into Dec 04, 2009.

Scott Cantrell
December 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Just received word from Libec that they are extending this promotion until Dec 31, 2009!

Contact Tapeworks Texas Inc 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
866-827-3489

Alan McInnes
December 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
If you are looking for a poll on this product, I bought one a year ago (paid a lot more!), but it has been more than worth the money. I do a lot of long format shooting where having this controller is the perfect solution. Try shooting an entire basketball game without one! I especially like that it is sensitive enough to let me "sneak" a zoom or snap one. I've never had any problems with it not being fluid enough or not allowing me to ease into the zoom. I agree with the comment about taping the connectors as it is too easy to bump the cable and have it disconnect. The only other trick is check the switch setting each time you set up as I once didn't notice that the switch was out of the record mode and it took me a second to figure out what had happened.

Steven S. Miric
December 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Taking it with me for a real field test: India, 2+ months...

Carroll Lam
December 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Does this controller solve the "herky-jerky" zoom problem that some of us are having with the Zoe controller?

Carroll Lam

Bob Jackson
December 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Carroll
My controller works very well.

Carroll Lam
December 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I would be interested in hearing from someone that was having "jerky zoom" problems with their Zoe that the Libec solved.

Carroll Lam

Scott Cantrell
December 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Carroll,

I have heard that the latest Sony Firmware updates have fixed the jerky issue on 3rd party zoom controllers. Go to Sony Pro website Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/home.do) and check the latest firmware vs what your EX camcorder has. You may need to update your camcorder.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Spoonser

Carroll Lam
December 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately, I can only find updates for the EX1, not the EX1R, Scott.

Thanks anyway.

Carroll Lam

John Peterson
December 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Carroll,

I have heard that the latest Sony Firmware updates have fixed the jerky issue on 3rd party zoom controllers. Go to Sony Pro website Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/home.do) and check the latest firmware vs what your EX camcorder has. You may need to update your camcorder.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Spoonser

I don't see where it tells you what the latest firmware is. It only shows Clip Browser and other such software when you search it under Software and Firmware support.

John

Carroll Lam
December 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I don't see where it tells you what the latest firmware is. It only shows Clip Browser and other such software when you search it under Software and Firmware support.

John

It's sort of obscure but you can eventually get to a point where you search by camera model. At that point a search on PMW-EX1 yields the downloadable files for clip transfer and drivers. A search on PMW-EX-1R yields nothing.

Here's how to find the firmware section: Look under the tab "Microsites" and go to "XDCAM EX". Select the tab "Service and Support" then the "Software and Parts" on the right side of the new page. Select "Software and Firmware" on the new page. You can then search by model number.

I thought I would try a call to Sony Service tomorrow to see if they know anything.

Carroll Lam

Andrew Stone
December 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Sony's fix on the "jerky" zoom issue will be (in my view) to prevent zooming below *8* zoom speed (which they have done on the EX1R). It will severely hamper creep-creep-creep zooming that you get when you are zooming in around say 3 or 4 on the zoom speed scale. I would think long and hard before rushing in to get the firmware update to fix this issue.

I hope to be proven wrong and find that Sony has actually fixed the problem rather than reducing the functionality and the ability to do creep zooming which is so important to many camera ops.

Brian Rhodes
December 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM
i don't see where it tells you what the latest firmware is. It only shows clip browser and other such software when you search it under software and firmware support.

John

ex1 latest firmware v1.14_0543 my cam was updated in late oct

Carroll Lam
December 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I can report that the Libec controller solved the "herky-jerky" zoom problem that arouse with my EX1R and the Zoe controller.

While the Zoe worked perfectly with the EX1, when used with my new EX1R it had frequent "stumbles" when zooming in. This problem has gone away with the Libec.

The Libec is a well-built unit as is the Zoe. I personally like the layout of the Zoe better. For example, the Return function on the Zoe is a separate button whereas on the Libec you need to change a switch setting. But the Libec performs.

Carroll Lam

Andrew Stone
December 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Just placed an order can't wait to (hopefully) get rid of the "notchy" zoom and say goodbye to my Manfrotto zoom control

Thanks Tapeworks!

Buck Forester
December 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm glad I read the entire thread, I was about to hit the order button at B&H on one of these puppies, but then I saw where the $165 price was extended through the end of December through Tapeworks. It's $199 at B&H so that's worth the savings. Gracias you people. You know who you are.

Alastair Traill
December 29th, 2009, 12:46 AM
The Australian agent for Libec is G.D.B. International. I have just checked their website and it says that the ZC-9EX is discontinued and also that the unit is NOT suitable for EX3's sold in Australia. Both comments came as a bit of a surprise.

Andrew Stone
January 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Well I put the Libec zoom controller through it's paces. Very impressed.

The industrial design of it is really well done it terms of how it is sculpted. It really works well with the hand movements we do when zooming. It just felt so natural. I expected to go through an unlearning of my patterns from using a Manfrotto while getting used to the Libec but that was not an issue.

Notchiness in the slow zooms was gone. I had the camera on and in motion for 4.5 hours. No snags and the ramping was nice and smooth. It was a joy to use.

These puppies are drop shipped from Libec so maybe Tapeworks Texas still has an angle on them at the reduced price. We know they have been discontinued so Libec will want to unload them till they are gone.

Chad Johnson
January 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Any chance Tapeworks. extended that sale yet again? I only heard of the ZC-9EX today. Looks good.

Is it true that they are discontinued?

Mark Bolding
January 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hey there Chad,
Call Scott Cantrell at tapeworks-super nice guy.

Ed Kukla
February 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone else solve the jerky zoom problem by buying a Libec controller in place of some other zoom controller??

Paul Cronin
February 3rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have the Libec ZC-9EX for my EX1.

But incase anyone is interested this also works on my PMW-350 with stock lens. Pull the adapter plug and just plug in the lens.

Carroll Lam
February 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone else solve the jerky zoom problem by buying a Libec controller in place of some other zoom controller??

Look at message #35 in this thread.

Carroll Lam

Cees van Kempen
February 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
The Australian agent for Libec is G.D.B. International. I have just checked their website and it says that the ZC-9EX is discontinued and also that the unit is NOT suitable for EX3's sold in Australia. Both comments came as a bit of a surprise.

Can someone confirm whether or not the ZC-9EX works well with the EX3?

I am based in The Netherlands. Is there a difference in country models? Would it be different in Australia from Europe?

Kevin Spahr
February 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I bought one of these from Scott for my ex3 and it works perfect and it is well made too.

Chad Johnson
February 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Scott says there are some issues with some ex3 models.

Tom Roper
February 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Chad,
Scott is helpful and supportive, but also sometimes wrong. He told me it did not work with the new PMW350, which turned out to be incorrect. Works perfectly with it.

Kevin Spahr
February 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I talked to Scott before I bought mine, he said nothing about issues with ex3s.
Everything works just fine with mine and the way it should.
I find if hard to believe that the ex3 differs between countries since the firmware versions don't seem to be country specific. But who knows for sure.

My advice is to go with your gut feeling, if you don't feel comfortable buying a certain product - don't. I am glad to say that I have done that in the past and I have been very happy with the hardware I have purchased with no regrets. Peace of mind is important.

That my 2 cents or shillings or what ever...

Ed Kukla
February 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM
My Libec works very well with my EX-3