View Full Version : Ki Pro Heat!

Doug Bassett
November 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
the device seems overly hot. I'm also seeing what looks to be melting plastic from the inside out on one of the drive modules that came with the device.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues? The fan speed is set to normal.
Doug

Jon Thorn
November 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Doug B. - The storage modules do tend to get warm to the touch as they are designed to extract the heat out from the drive enclosed within. This is normal. The Ki Pro unit itself can get warm, but will not be as warm to the touch as the storage module.

If you believe you have an issue with a storage module, then I would suggest you contact AJA tech support - support@aja.com - for a different drive module. If anything is amiss with it, it can be replaced.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California

Doug Bassett
November 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
thanks, I'm going to do another shoot with them next week and keep an eye on them.
Doug

Jay Morrissette
February 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
We have 7 of them installed in a very cool machine room and they get VERY warm. Outdoors, in the summer in LA, I imagine they would be too hot to touch!

I haven't read of any heat related failures, but I'd feel better if they ran cooler.

~Jay

Jon Thorn
February 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Jay M. - As you note, Ki Pros do get warm to the touch after extended periods of use, but they do keep working as you also point out. There is a fine balance between having a product be cool to the touch and having it dissipate heat properly, and therefore, feel warm to the touch.

If shooting outdoors, there's probably little need to run the fan at lower speeds via the Quiet Record option; leaving the fan at the Normal setting on a very hot day would likely be the better choice. The fan isn't all that loud in the Normal setting it should be noted but with the new 1.1 firmware, the Quiet Auto option, where the fan spins down for recording and back up during idle, would be another choice for outdoor shooting. In addition to shooting with the Ki Pro outdoors on sunny days, we also "baked" Ki Pro in an environmental chamber to emulate harsh conditions during our testing and the product temperature limits were designed to mimic those of the modern generation of video cameras.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Califorina

Guy Cochran
February 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
We have 7 of them installed in a very cool machine room and they get VERY warm.
~Jay

Jay - are you rack mounting your Ki Pro units?

Jay Morrissette
February 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Sort of... They are on rack shelves and there is about 1/2" gap between the top of the unit and the shelf above.

If I think of it I'll try to post a picture tonight.

The size, shape and design of the Ki Pro is terrible for rack mounting. They are slightly too wide to put side by side, they are just tall enough that they don't fit within two rack units, and the big power connector on the side wastes a lot of space.

Despite my complaint, these are awesome, and I wish I could have had them sooner!

How much to you want to bet that Aja will a have rack mount version capable of Prores 444 at NAB? Maybe 2U tall with a removable 2TB hard drive. A 2TB hard drive should be fast enough for ProRes-444 shouldn't it?

~Jay

Jay Morrissette
February 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Here's a picture...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/jaymorrissette/GTY%20Aja%20KiPro/20100207-DSC_8176.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/jaymorrissette/GTY%20Aja%20KiPro/20100207-DSC_8168.jpg

~Jay

Guy Cochran
February 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the pix Jay! That's an awesome sight to see. I'm sure Jon is proud.

We're looking to rackmount a Ki Pro into a Gator road case for travel. It needs to be screwed down tight. I finally found what we've been looking for. It's made by Connectronics