View Full Version : Timelapse battery grip

Tramm Hudson
December 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Here's a neat new device: a battery grip with an interval timer (http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?ssPageName=VINS:SIM&_kw=LCD+TIMER+BATTERY+GRIP+HOLDER+FOR+CANON+EOS+5D+MARK+II&_fis=1&_id=270489667126&_isid=0&_sibeleafcat=29967). It can be programmed to do timelapses and holds two batteries like the normal BG-E6.

Chris Hurd
December 13th, 2009, 03:51 PM
What a great find, thanks Tramm -- now if only they'll do one for the 7D as well!

Ben Ruffell
December 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Check to see if it has a limit on the number of frames that can be shot. I bought a similar one online for a Digital Rebel XT, only to find out that it had a 99 frame limit. Making it useless.

Louis Maddalena
December 14th, 2009, 01:49 PM
can you buy it at places other than e-bay?

Christopher Lovenguth
December 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've never seen the timer grips other then on EBay. I had been tempted to get one of these for my original 5D since until rather recently they didn't exists for 5D II. I think some un-named company is taking a generic grip and adding the timer, thus only being sold on Ebay. I have a real Canon grip for my 5D and the knock-off generic (Adorama's version) for my 5D II and the difference in the two I can't really tell except for the HUGE price difference. I'm tempted by this since I want another grip so that I can keep one permanently attached to my redrock rig so that all I have to do is drop the 5D II on to the grip when rigging up, would save me 5-10mins and the headache of a hex bolt that screws in from under the shoulder rest on my rig. Plus I use a timer in my photography sometimes for time-lapse and if this timer works the same, it would be one less piece of equipment out in the field.

Morton Molyneux
December 15th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the info Tramm. I was looking to get a grip. I'll let you know how it works when it gets here.

cheers

Morton

Richard Hunter
December 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Check to see if it has a limit on the number of frames that can be shot. I bought a similar one online for a Digital Rebel XT, only to find out that it had a 99 frame limit. Making it useless.

I had the same thing with a 500D (is that the same as the Rebel XT?) in Singapore. Luckily the dealer pointed it out to me before I paid, so I was able to get a plug-in remote/ interval timer without frame limit instead. Different from a grip obviously.

Here's a similar remote/timer that claims to work with 5D2 and 7D. Note that the price is in Singapore dollars.

Red Dot Photo (Singapore) - Products (http://www.reddotphoto.com.sg/ecommerce/viewproducts.php?catid=2.3&pid=59)

Richard