View Full Version : what the heck?

Gary Chavez
December 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
from today's video..

Barry Green
December 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Yep, that happens sometimes when you transfer on a Mac, especially if you are transferring to an external firewire hard disk and you haven't write-protected your P2 cards.

For years we've been recommending that people not just do a drag 'n' drop of the card contents, or to do a log & transfer from the cards directly; because this is the kind of thing that can happen. Instead, copy the footage to your hard disk using a data-verified copy, such as provided by P2CMS or by ShotPut Pro.

Gary Chavez
December 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM
That is my exact workflow. Thx for the heads up.

Gary Chavez
December 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM
well, still getting glitches/pixelization. Not as often. Have transferred with write protected cards using both P2CM and P2 log pro. Do I have corrupted cards?

Colin Mounier
December 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
I remember Shane Ross saying that a dirty card connection could bring pixelation.
I have seen few pixels (but not that many) from a card which ı know has been several time pull off while recording. Cleaning the connection get rid of the problem. Colin.

Gary Chavez
December 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Defiantly worth a shot.
Long Qtip and alcohol like the old days? :)

Daniel Epstein
December 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hey Gary have you played the footage back on the camera to see if there is a problem with it? If it is recorded incorrectly maybe you are seeing something from the head of the camera and not a problem in the datastream per se. Just a thought

Colin Mounier
December 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
They just dust-off the card and the PCMCIA slot of the laptop, ı do not know for the Qtip,
ı am shy! As Daniel says, do a "play-back" in the camera first. We had the problem with just one card, it was easy tolin.

Barry Green
December 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Have transferred with write protected cards using both P2CM and P2 log pro. Do I have corrupted cards?
Play the footage back in-camera. If there's no corruption (which I pretty much absolutely guarantee you, there won't be) then there's nothing wrong with the cards.

Be sure you're doing a data-verified copy, where the program copies the files over, then reads them back and compares them to the cards. I am almost certain the corruption is occurring when you're copying the data to the Mac.

Ned Soltz
December 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
I definitely have heard of corruption issues when finder-copying to Mac. That is why I strongly recommend ShotPut Pro which will copy as well as verify.

Ned Soltz

Dan Brockett
December 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Totally off topic, but Ned, you are in NJ now? When did you leave the Lone Star State?

Dan

Robert Lane
January 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM
While this won't work for every shooting situation because of time constraints, don't forget about using HOST mode to transfer the P2 card contents over to a HDD directly. (read up on this in the manual and Barry's HVX book).

In HOST mode you're simply using the camera as the HDD controller and transferring directly from camera to HDD with no software or intermediary device in between. Then just connect that same drive to your system for copy/importing into your NLE of choice. All you need is an external FW hard-disk with it's own power supply (we always use inverters in the field from a car cig-iighter socket) and a FW cable. That's it. Every P2 camera made from the HVX200 all the way up to the HPX3000 has this capability.

Keep in mind this isn't *shooting* to the HDD, it's just data transfer from P2 cards to drive.

Daniel Weber
January 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Robert,

What would be the transfer time for a 16 gig card to a FW drive using Host mode?

Daniel Weber