View Full Version : What do you think this INCREDIBLE wedding video is worth?

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Heres the link:
Silas's Videography | View Video | 916-949-9040 (http://www.silasbarker.com/demo.html?vj)

Imagine this full length (this is a trailer) and just a quick background it was a 10 hour wedding. What do you think the actual video would be worth in California?

Thanks in advance for comments!

Tom Hardwick
January 27th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I don't understand the question. What's the wedding worth? To me? Sweet nothing. What's the film worth? Ditto. Maybe you mean what did the film cost the couple - or do you mean what did the wedding day cost them.

Marty Welk
January 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
lol

hey Silas at least More than YOU charged em. :-) knowing your prices.

Mike Wade
January 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Well Tom it's actually a very nice trailer. Looks like it was shot on an EX1 with Steadycam type shots...so I'll join in Silas's odd little game and say $3000 ?

Cheers

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 01:32 PM
lol

hey Silas at least More than YOU charged em. :-) knowing your prices.

LOL, well I am trying to fix that, thats why I posted this thread...
it was 2 a 2 Cam shoot (Z1 and Fx7) with glidecam.

I think the trailer really rocks and I love it hahaha

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys....
Z1 and Fx7 Cams
Glidecam and pro tripods

Just wondering what something like this would be worth to the bride and groom?
(She actually told me shes watched that trailer like a 100 times hahahaha)

Dave Blackhurst
January 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I commented on your other thread - your rates are definitely on the low side, your work looks excellent, and you probably should spend a little time doing a business plan, evaluating your costs, $/hr. and where you want to be business wise.

And if you see James (the groom) tell him I said hi! Old friend from the Sac music scene!

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Wow!
I will!
Small world!
His wedding is my best sample I think so far!
I have a number of other ones but James and Venessa were so cool that on the day everything was sweet - not to mention they are a hot couple!

I'll take your advice and work on prices. Thanks for the helpful info.
Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin (http://www.silasbarker.com)

Dave Blackhurst
January 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that was a great wedding! James still looks the same way he did 10 years ago!

I've noted from your posts you're trying to feel out your pricing... you probably should check out some of the threads in "taking care of business" here on DVi - there are some good postings on how to calculate your pricing.

DON'T worry about your age, if you can deliver the goods you could barely be old enough to shave nowadays - if you've got the chops/talent, you charge what that is worth, and build your reputation/business. No one is going to know from your trailers/web site how old you are. Dress and act professionally when actually meeting clients and pretend you look young for your age!

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that!
I do dress and act professional, but I know when I am getting "the look" its time to be tough even though I am young.

Is there a link to that thread?
I'll look for that.

Thanks!
Silas
Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin (http://www.silasbarker.com)

Dave Blackhurst
January 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
It's actually a whole section of the DVi forum, next section down if you go to the "root" and scroll down. Lots of good info there from a business standpoint. You'll probably want to do some of your own research - it's always tough balancing the "business" side in a creative business, but you'll get the hang of it.

If you're doing something you love and are good at, you'll make out fine (presuming you get your rates to where you can maintain the lifestyle you wish to become accustomed to!). Being in biz for oneself is tough, but it beats going in one day to a job you hate, but you do it because you've got to pay the bills... and getting pink-slipped. And that can happen whether you're 20 or 50 nowadays. Just be sure to take some time to build your "business knowledge" alongside your talent/creative side so you don't undervalue yourself.

David Nibeck
January 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Nice video! Is it just my computer or is there a lip sync problem at the 1:25 mark?

I am not a videographer, but I am a wedding DJ. Your Gold package is close to my going rate. I put in around 8-10 hours for a 4 hour reception. I am not sure how many hours you put in but would guess it was considerably more than that. And here I have been thinking you guys made the big bucks!

Rates are always an interesting discussion. It was not until I got away from letting market/competition excuses drive my rate that I started to earn what I was worth. Don't get me wrong, understanding your market is important.

The advise given is spot on. Start with a solid written business plan. Set goals. Measure to those goals. You can always adjust as needed. Understand your true costs (cameras, equipment, insurance, marketing,TIME). Please note that time means everything from initial and fwp client meetings, time on the job itself, and post. I am not sure if you attend training or conventions, but I load that into my annual expenses that I expect to recoup (and DJ conventions are fun!).

Since I raised my rates, my work fell about 50% but my profits more than doubled. This meant more time for my family and myself. Remember, not everyone is your client.

You ask what it is worth to the couple. I am not sure how anyone could answer that question. The real question is did you charge what you are worth? If so, great! If not, how are you going to modify your business to make it so?

It's interesting to see the similarities between our two industries.

I hope I did not offend you and I sincerely liked the video. I hope one day to shot/produce to that level.

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Thank you, thank you!
I know about the off sync sound, and your the first who's caught that - I actually was using the voiceover over the video shots and it just so happened to be close enough to where it looks like a lip sync thing off but I knew about it LOL.

Glad you liked it.....take a look at some of my other videos too if you like!

Alec Moreno
January 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Okay, I'll play too. (I haven't seen your prices.) $1,700 plus tax?

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com

Ethan Cooper
January 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Silas - I don't know anything about your market, so I won't speculate on the wedding prices but I'd like to offer my $.02 on your corp/commercial pricing. I've never seen package pricing on professional (non-wedding) jobs, it's usually an hourly rate and you build a quote off that rate after speaking to the client about what they're looking for. I really don't think you're going about the corp/commercial thing the right way and you're seriously underselling yourself there.

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Alec: Thanks for playing my games!

Ethan:
I realize that its not typical - but theres nothing wrong with new ideas with packaging Corporate stuff. I also stated that those prices on there are a general guideline.

I have people ask questions all the time like, what will it cost to make a 1 hour exercise video, or a TV spot? So the packages are nice because I can say - that will take 2 days plus some extra editing (Package C x2 + extra editing).

I used to give quotes over the phone or by email but I realized that if theres a solid number out there as a package people take it more seriously rather then me coming up with a number on the fly and maybe losing out (been there done that!).

I also wanted to use my jib and charge more as much as I can so that way a client can look at the packages, call me, and know maybe roughly what they will be paying. Its terrible when you give a quote and they are like "What! $1000 for 2 hours? just to shoot an interview!?"

I do appreciate your input, and I realize my prices are on the lower side as I am in a highly competitive area. So I take it as your suggesting just have a hourly rate and quote over the phone - the only thing with this is you get people calling who want super cheap or who have no clue what things will cost. Can you expound on this, perhaps I just have this wrong!

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Alec: Thanks for playing my games!

Ethan:
I realize that its not typical - but theres nothing wrong with new ideas with packaging Corporate stuff. I also stated that those prices on there are a general guideline.

I have people ask questions all the time like, what will it cost to make a 1 hour exercise video, or a TV spot? So the packages are nice because I can say - that will take 2 days plus some extra editing (Package C x2 + extra editing).

I used to give quotes over the phone or by email but I realized that if theres a solid number out there as a package people take it more seriously rather then me coming up with a number on the fly and maybe losing out (been there done that!).

I also wanted to use my jib and charge more as much as I can so that way a client can look at the packages, call me, and know maybe roughly what they will be paying. Its terrible when you give a quote and they are like "What! $1000 for 2 hours? just to shoot an interview!?"

I do appreciate your input, and I realize my prices are on the lower side as I am in a highly competitive area. So I take it as your suggesting just have a hourly rate and quote over the phone - the only thing with this is you get people calling who want super cheap or who have no clue what things will cost. Can you expound on this, perhaps I just have this wrong!

Ethan Cooper
January 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM

When someone who doesn't realize what they're asking for calls, I tell them it'll cost anywhere from $1,000 to $30,000 per finished screen minute depending on what they want done. If they continue to press for a more solid figure I kindly explain that I need more information about what they're looking for and only after I have enough information can I sit down and make out a proper quote. Either they're willing to play along and wait a day for the quote or they move on. The way I see it, if someone is too impatient to wait a day for a quote then I probably don't want them as a client anyway.

Silas Barker
January 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I see what you mean.
My company is on the smaller side and we have never had a project over $10,000, but I see what your saying - the packages are more or less of a "chunk of work rate." I know its never been done, but I thought its worth a shot to make it easier....

Kren Barnes
January 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Haven't seen your pricing but my guestimate is $1500 - $2000

Jeff Kellam
January 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think you owe me a dry cleaning. I almost projectile vomited with all those super short clips strung together. My head was spinning.

Of course Im an old geezer.

D.J. Ammons
January 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Silas,

Very nice. I like the composition of the shots and the shot choices. I think posting examples or work on here for feedback is great because a lot of the time the cusotmer doesn't realize the amount of work and creativity it takes to turn out a finished product as good as this.

Silas Barker
January 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Sorry Jeff, is it too fast? I ve always been accused of being too fast. In fact when I was born, they said I basically jumped out because I was in such a rush! LOL.

For a slower clip view this one:
Silas's Videography | View Video | 916-949-9040 (http://www.silasbarker.com/demo.html?mm)

D.J: Glad you like the clip! Its one of my favorites!
And yes its great to get input and feedback here.

Cody Dulock
February 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Silas, if you haven't read the posts under the video=1/2 of photography (i think thats the title) in this forum, read it. Price what you are worth... we control our market. We should ultimately be charging more than the photogs for all of the ridiculous amount of work we put into these things. I'm not saying they don't do a lot of work, but we are audio guys, DP's, Gaffers, editors, graphic designers, etc... look at what you are making $/hour and figure out what it's going to take to reach your gross income goal.

Sean Johnson
February 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
Lets look at it this way. Silas is in a competitive area and raising his prices might effect how many wedding he books per year. By doing this, he may actually lose money. Lets not lie about everyone's interest here. Raising his prices would help people on the top of the his "food chain". Making $20/hr to complete a video is better than not doing one at all. It's a pivotal decision that he and some of us have to make. Do we fairly market our product and hope people respect our work enough to hire us? Or do we keep our prices low in order to book more weddings and keep the business going.

Working in this business I've been able to make enough money to pay off my equipment. Thats it! I work another job to pay the bills. I hope to expand my business in the future but right now my prices are about the same as Silas.

My solution would be to give recommendations to guys like me and Silas on how to better market our product. That way we can raise our prices and help keep the business growing.

Jason Robinson
February 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
LMaking $20/hr to complete a video is better than not doing one at all.

Goodness! Making $20/hr would be fantastic in my market for a self employed production company. :-)

Brian Press
February 2nd, 2010, 02:35 AM
Yeah, man, I remember just a few short years ago when I was sooo excited to make $25 an hour. Amazing! Here is link to a Same Day Edit that we did recently. This video really put us in another field. Especially with the Indian Culture. Super cool!

Ricky and Sonal + Terranea Resort + Helicopter = INCREDIBLE!!! impressivecreations.com (http://impressivecreations.com/blog/?p=24)

Thoughts are always appreciated!

Brian

Jason Robinson
February 2nd, 2010, 03:15 AM
Brian.....try not to thread hijack. :-)

Jib, multi-cams, flyer, and everything! you have lots of toys to play with. :-) great production too.

Cody Dulock
February 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Lets look at it this way. Silas is in a competitive area and raising his prices might effect how many wedding he books per year. By doing this, he may actually lose money. Lets not lie about everyone's interest here. Raising his prices would help people on the top of the his "food chain". Making $20/hr to complete a video is better than not doing one at all. It's a pivotal decision that he and some of us have to make. Do we fairly market our product and hope people respect our work enough to hire us? Or do we keep our prices low in order to book more weddings and keep the business going.

Working in this business I've been able to make enough money to pay off my equipment. Thats it! I work another job to pay the bills. I hope to expand my business in the future but right now my prices are about the same as Silas.

My solution would be to give recommendations to guys like me and Silas on how to better market our product. That way we can raise our prices and help keep the business growing.

Usually people in your PVA will kind of "govern" what gets charged in your market. If you aren't offering anything unique than you will have to stay with low prices like everyone else in the PVA (kind of). So if you start charging more and getting less gigs, why do you think that is? If you are taking on less gigs, but charging more are you still making the same gross? What is your approach to marketing? Do you immediately send clients a price list when they request one, or do you ask them questions and become their friend first and talk business later? I've seen companies who charge A LOT, but offer the same quality video as everyone else and they are always booked; why do you think that is?

If you haven't already checked out infocusvideoevent.com or infocusvideoevent.net I suggest you do that NOW. There are a lot of great blog posts on infocusvideoevent.com and they will be putting up the presentations from IN[FOCUS] on infocusvideoevent.NET and it's worth every penny.