What do you think this INCREDIBLE wedding video is worth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 27th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Major Player

What do you think this INCREDIBLE wedding video is worth?

Heres the link:
Silas's Videography | View Video | 916-949-9040

Imagine this full length (this is a trailer) and just a quick background it was a 10 hour wedding. What do you think the actual video would be worth in California?

Thanks in advance for comments!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't understand the question. What's the wedding worth? To me? Sweet nothing. What's the film worth? Ditto. Maybe you mean what did the film cost the couple - or do you mean what did the wedding day cost them.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Major Player

lol

hey Silas at least More than YOU charged em. :-) knowing your prices.
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well Tom it's actually a very nice trailer. Looks like it was shot on an EX1 with Steadycam type shots...so I'll join in Silas's odd little game and say $3000 ?

Cheers
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Welk View Post
lol

hey Silas at least More than YOU charged em. :-) knowing your prices.
LOL, well I am trying to fix that, thats why I posted this thread...
it was 2 a 2 Cam shoot (Z1 and Fx7) with glidecam.

I think the trailer really rocks and I love it hahaha
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys....
Z1 and Fx7 Cams
Glidecam and pro tripods

Just wondering what something like this would be worth to the bride and groom?
(She actually told me shes watched that trailer like a 100 times hahahaha)
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I commented on your other thread - your rates are definitely on the low side, your work looks excellent, and you probably should spend a little time doing a business plan, evaluating your costs, $/hr. and where you want to be business wise.

And if you see James (the groom) tell him I said hi! Old friend from the Sac music scene!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow!
I will!
Small world!
His wedding is my best sample I think so far!
I have a number of other ones but James and Venessa were so cool that on the day everything was sweet - not to mention they are a hot couple!

I'll take your advice and work on prices. Thanks for the helpful info.
Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yeah, I'm sure that was a great wedding! James still looks the same way he did 10 years ago!

I've noted from your posts you're trying to feel out your pricing... you probably should check out some of the threads in "taking care of business" here on DVi - there are some good postings on how to calculate your pricing.

DON'T worry about your age, if you can deliver the goods you could barely be old enough to shave nowadays - if you've got the chops/talent, you charge what that is worth, and build your reputation/business. No one is going to know from your trailers/web site how old you are. Dress and act professionally when actually meeting clients and pretend you look young for your age!
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for that!
I do dress and act professional, but I know when I am getting "the look" its time to be tough even though I am young.

Is there a link to that thread?
I'll look for that.

Thanks!
Silas
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

It's actually a whole section of the DVi forum, next section down if you go to the "root" and scroll down. Lots of good info there from a business standpoint. You'll probably want to do some of your own research - it's always tough balancing the "business" side in a creative business, but you'll get the hang of it.

If you're doing something you love and are good at, you'll make out fine (presuming you get your rates to where you can maintain the lifestyle you wish to become accustomed to!). Being in biz for oneself is tough, but it beats going in one day to a job you hate, but you do it because you've got to pay the bills... and getting pink-slipped. And that can happen whether you're 20 or 50 nowadays. Just be sure to take some time to build your "business knowledge" alongside your talent/creative side so you don't undervalue yourself.
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #12
New Boot

Nice video! Is it just my computer or is there a lip sync problem at the 1:25 mark?

I am not a videographer, but I am a wedding DJ. Your Gold package is close to my going rate. I put in around 8-10 hours for a 4 hour reception. I am not sure how many hours you put in but would guess it was considerably more than that. And here I have been thinking you guys made the big bucks!

Rates are always an interesting discussion. It was not until I got away from letting market/competition excuses drive my rate that I started to earn what I was worth. Don't get me wrong, understanding your market is important.

The advise given is spot on. Start with a solid written business plan. Set goals. Measure to those goals. You can always adjust as needed. Understand your true costs (cameras, equipment, insurance, marketing,TIME). Please note that time means everything from initial and fwp client meetings, time on the job itself, and post. I am not sure if you attend training or conventions, but I load that into my annual expenses that I expect to recoup (and DJ conventions are fun!).

Since I raised my rates, my work fell about 50% but my profits more than doubled. This meant more time for my family and myself. Remember, not everyone is your client.

You ask what it is worth to the couple. I am not sure how anyone could answer that question. The real question is did you charge what you are worth? If so, great! If not, how are you going to modify your business to make it so?

It's interesting to see the similarities between our two industries.

I hope I did not offend you and I sincerely liked the video. I hope one day to shot/produce to that level.
David Nibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #13
Major Player

Thank you, thank you!
I know about the off sync sound, and your the first who's caught that - I actually was using the voiceover over the video shots and it just so happened to be close enough to where it looks like a lip sync thing off but I knew about it LOL.

Glad you liked it.....take a look at some of my other videos too if you like!

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Okay, I'll play too. (I haven't seen your prices.) $1,700 plus tax?

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #15
Trustee

Silas - I don't know anything about your market, so I won't speculate on the wedding prices but I'd like to offer my $.02 on your corp/commercial pricing. I've never seen package pricing on professional (non-wedding) jobs, it's usually an hourly rate and you build a quote off that rate after speaking to the client about what they're looking for. I really don't think you're going about the corp/commercial thing the right way and you're seriously underselling yourself there.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques