What do you think this INCREDIBLE wedding video is worth? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #16
Major Player

Alec: Thanks for playing my games!

Ethan:
I realize that its not typical - but theres nothing wrong with new ideas with packaging Corporate stuff. I also stated that those prices on there are a general guideline.

I have people ask questions all the time like, what will it cost to make a 1 hour exercise video, or a TV spot? So the packages are nice because I can say - that will take 2 days plus some extra editing (Package C x2 + extra editing).

I used to give quotes over the phone or by email but I realized that if theres a solid number out there as a package people take it more seriously rather then me coming up with a number on the fly and maybe losing out (been there done that!).

I also wanted to use my jib and charge more as much as I can so that way a client can look at the packages, call me, and know maybe roughly what they will be paying. Its terrible when you give a quote and they are like "What! $1000 for 2 hours? just to shoot an interview!?"

I do appreciate your input, and I realize my prices are on the lower side as I am in a highly competitive area. So I take it as your suggesting just have a hourly rate and quote over the phone - the only thing with this is you get people calling who want super cheap or who have no clue what things will cost. Can you expound on this, perhaps I just have this wrong!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Alec: Thanks for playing my games!

Ethan:
I realize that its not typical - but theres nothing wrong with new ideas with packaging Corporate stuff. I also stated that those prices on there are a general guideline.

I have people ask questions all the time like, what will it cost to make a 1 hour exercise video, or a TV spot? So the packages are nice because I can say - that will take 2 days plus some extra editing (Package C x2 + extra editing).

I used to give quotes over the phone or by email but I realized that if theres a solid number out there as a package people take it more seriously rather then me coming up with a number on the fly and maybe losing out (been there done that!).

I also wanted to use my jib and charge more as much as I can so that way a client can look at the packages, call me, and know maybe roughly what they will be paying. Its terrible when you give a quote and they are like "What! $1000 for 2 hours? just to shoot an interview!?"

I do appreciate your input, and I realize my prices are on the lower side as I am in a highly competitive area. So I take it as your suggesting just have a hourly rate and quote over the phone - the only thing with this is you get people calling who want super cheap or who have no clue what things will cost. Can you expound on this, perhaps I just have this wrong!
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
When someone who doesn't realize what they're asking for calls, I tell them it'll cost anywhere from $1,000 to $30,000 per finished screen minute depending on what they want done. If they continue to press for a more solid figure I kindly explain that I need more information about what they're looking for and only after I have enough information can I sit down and make out a proper quote. Either they're willing to play along and wait a day for the quote or they move on. The way I see it, if someone is too impatient to wait a day for a quote then I probably don't want them as a client anyway.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #19
Major Player

I see what you mean.
My company is on the smaller side and we have never had a project over $10,000, but I see what your saying - the packages are more or less of a "chunk of work rate." I know its never been done, but I thought its worth a shot to make it easier....
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Haven't seen your pricing but my guestimate is $1500 - $2000
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Major Player

I think you owe me a dry cleaning. I almost projectile vomited with all those super short clips strung together. My head was spinning.

Of course Im an old geezer.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Silas,

Very nice. I like the composition of the shots and the shot choices. I think posting examples or work on here for feedback is great because a lot of the time the cusotmer doesn't realize the amount of work and creativity it takes to turn out a finished product as good as this.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #23
Major Player

Sorry Jeff, is it too fast? I ve always been accused of being too fast. In fact when I was born, they said I basically jumped out because I was in such a rush! LOL.

For a slower clip view this one:
Silas's Videography | View Video | 916-949-9040

D.J: Glad you like the clip! Its one of my favorites!
And yes its great to get input and feedback here.
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM   #24
Major Player

Silas, if you haven't read the posts under the video=1/2 of photography (i think thats the title) in this forum, read it. Price what you are worth... we control our market. We should ultimately be charging more than the photogs for all of the ridiculous amount of work we put into these things. I'm not saying they don't do a lot of work, but we are audio guys, DP's, Gaffers, editors, graphic designers, etc... look at what you are making $/hour and figure out what it's going to take to reach your gross income goal.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Lets look at it this way. Silas is in a competitive area and raising his prices might effect how many wedding he books per year. By doing this, he may actually lose money. Lets not lie about everyone's interest here. Raising his prices would help people on the top of the his "food chain". Making $20/hr to complete a video is better than not doing one at all. It's a pivotal decision that he and some of us have to make. Do we fairly market our product and hope people respect our work enough to hire us? Or do we keep our prices low in order to book more weddings and keep the business going.

Working in this business I've been able to make enough money to pay off my equipment. Thats it! I work another job to pay the bills. I hope to expand my business in the future but right now my prices are about the same as Silas.

My solution would be to give recommendations to guys like me and Silas on how to better market our product. That way we can raise our prices and help keep the business growing.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Johnson View Post
LMaking $20/hr to complete a video is better than not doing one at all.
Goodness! Making $20/hr would be fantastic in my market for a self employed production company. :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #27
New Boot

Yeah, man, I remember just a few short years ago when I was sooo excited to make $25 an hour. Amazing! Here is link to a Same Day Edit that we did recently. This video really put us in another field. Especially with the Indian Culture. Super cool!

Ricky and Sonal + Terranea Resort + Helicopter = INCREDIBLE!!! impressivecreations.com

Thoughts are always appreciated!

Brian

Last edited by Brian Press; February 2nd, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Brian Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #28
Trustee

Brian.....try not to thread hijack. :-)

Jib, multi-cams, flyer, and everything! you have lots of toys to play with. :-) great production too.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Johnson View Post
Lets look at it this way. Silas is in a competitive area and raising his prices might effect how many wedding he books per year. By doing this, he may actually lose money. Lets not lie about everyone's interest here. Raising his prices would help people on the top of the his "food chain". Making $20/hr to complete a video is better than not doing one at all. It's a pivotal decision that he and some of us have to make. Do we fairly market our product and hope people respect our work enough to hire us? Or do we keep our prices low in order to book more weddings and keep the business going.

Working in this business I've been able to make enough money to pay off my equipment. Thats it! I work another job to pay the bills. I hope to expand my business in the future but right now my prices are about the same as Silas.

My solution would be to give recommendations to guys like me and Silas on how to better market our product. That way we can raise our prices and help keep the business growing.
Usually people in your PVA will kind of "govern" what gets charged in your market. If you aren't offering anything unique than you will have to stay with low prices like everyone else in the PVA (kind of). So if you start charging more and getting less gigs, why do you think that is? If you are taking on less gigs, but charging more are you still making the same gross? What is your approach to marketing? Do you immediately send clients a price list when they request one, or do you ask them questions and become their friend first and talk business later? I've seen companies who charge A LOT, but offer the same quality video as everyone else and they are always booked; why do you think that is?

If you haven't already checked out infocusvideoevent.com or infocusvideoevent.net I suggest you do that NOW. There are a lot of great blog posts on infocusvideoevent.com and they will be putting up the presentations from IN[FOCUS] on infocusvideoevent.NET and it's worth every penny.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques