View Full Version : Have the SxS problems been resolved with Final Cut

Bob Kerner
March 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
I'm considering upgrading my FCS to the current version. I recall threads over the summer where people had problems ingesting/importing their footage off the SxS cards into the new Final Cut.

Has this been resolved?

I apologize in advance for not reading through all of the threads. My window to make a decision is narrow. I've had to do a clean install of the OS and need to decide today whether to drop the cash for an upgrade from FC6. I'd rather not install 6, then have to remove it and replace it in a couple of days.

Thank you.

Don Greening
March 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Has this been resolved?

Pretty much. I'm running the latest of everything (until Software Update tells me otherwise) and I have no issues on a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro.

- Don

Bob Kerner
March 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thank you, Don. I neglected to mention what type of mac, but your answer covered both!

Shaughan Flynn
March 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Same as Don - NO issue whatsoever ingesting a processing XDCAM EX on FCP 7.x on Macbook or MacPro.

Marcus Durham
March 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Was there ever a problem with FCP? The only problem I know of was the Snow Leopard SxS driver issue which was easily worked around.

Bob Kerner
March 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Marcus, maybe I misunderstood the threads for it being a FC problem.

My system went in the toilet unexpectedly so I'm a little scattered !

The Snow Leopard (which I just installed this am) issue was resolved with the latest XDCAM-EX driver, was it not?

Greg Chisholm
March 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
bob,

when i pop a sxs card into my mbp it renders the laptop express34 port useless and I have to restart. I saw a thread about this in "final cut suite" section... but have not heard of a patch yet. I am running snow leopard on my mbp and sl seems to be the issue. If there is a fix i have not found it yet.

awaiting a fix

greg

Greg Chisholm
March 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
bob,

when i pop a sxs card into my mbp it renders the laptop express34 port useless and I have to restart. I saw a thread about this in "final cut suite" section... but have not heard of a patch yet. I am running snow leopard on my mbp and sl seems to be the issue. If there is a fix i have not found it yet.

awaiting a fix

greg

p.s. are are you guys with "no problems" running sl?

Olof Ekbergh
March 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Gregg,

Make sure you have the latest everything including SxS driver.

I have been using 10.6.2 for a couple months now on MBP and MP's no problems at all after Sony's latest updates.

Link:

Sony of Canada E-support (http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/eSupportHome.asp)

You need all this installed:

Marcus Durham
March 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Marcus, maybe I misunderstood the threads for it being a FC problem.

My system went in the toilet unexpectedly so I'm a little scattered !

The Snow Leopard (which I just installed this am) issue was resolved with the latest XDCAM-EX driver, was it not?

Yes, it was. And to be honest it was never that much of an issue. It was annoying for sure but it didn't stop anyway from working as far as I'm aware.

It does raise the point that you should be careful with any production system before an upgrade. I only upgraded my main machine to Snow Leopard 3 weeks ago whereas the laptop has been on it for a long time now.

Kent Beeson
March 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Olof

I seem to have every component except the SxS one you show - how/where do I get that one and do I need it as XDcam seems to work without it...Here's my list...and I just downloaded the SxS driver from your link above and installed it but still no SxS driver shows in my list - what to do?

Greg Chisholm
March 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
so I went to the sony canada site and downloaded the sxs driver download as part of the fix that olof suggested and that seemed to resolve my problem with mbp, sl, and fcp7.

Thanks guys

Kent Beeson
March 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I've tried to download it twice and it seemed to install, but it never shows in my XDcam transfer component window - thoughts?

Olof Ekbergh
March 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Kent,

Are things working OK or are you having problems?

If you are having problems, start by repairing permissions and run DiscWarrior. Then try the reinstall. Sometimes it helps to create a new user account and log in under the new account to do the install, user prefs etc can become corrupt.

If everything works, don't worry about it.

Kent Beeson
March 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Well, no, I cannot use FCP 7 to import any files shot on EX1R at 24p...I can import 30p, but any and all clips at 24p make FCP 7 crash, even when I scroll in the browser, the thumbnails of the 24p shots make FCP crash.

I have to use XDcam transfer, cannot use FCP 7. So I thought maybe if I could get this SxS component all would be fine - but strangely when I install the SxS driver, it says it installed it but I can't find where nor does it show in the component list...

Thoughts?
K

Olof Ekbergh
March 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Have you trashed the FCP prefs lately?

Kent Beeson
March 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, actually I did all that with an APPLE care guy and we couldn't figure it out. Basically, if I use Log and Transfer in FCP 7 it'll indeed import all the clips but the browser will crash if I have thumbnail view when I scroll and if I play any clips on my timeline (24p Pro Res) FCP will crash.

But when I use XDcam transfer and then import each mov file into bin no problem. So I wonder if that SxS driver is necessary or what? I can't seem to find it or it won't show up after install. Either way can't import via FCP7 without issues.

Olof Ekbergh
March 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Kent, you may want to post this on the FCP forum. Someone there may have an idea.

I never use the import in FCP I always use the transfer program. And I never have a problem 24p or otherwise. It is just how I do it, but I know lots of people use the FCP way w/o problems.

It may be you have to reinstall everything, OS and all the apps. After reformatting your system drive. I have had to do this in the past a few times. I call it the sledge hammer fix. It can be almost impossible to figure out what is wrong some times, so just start fresh.

I usually do it by installing a new drive and keeping the old one for backup. Over the last 20 years or so I have had to do it about 5 times on my systems, it always works, I have 5 editing systems (so it is not that bad). And I have done it for other people maybe 20 times or so, I trouble shoot a lot of computers.

And when you do this keep the system really simple. Only install what you need to edit video, no extra anything. Make sure everything works, then install 3rd party stuff just one at a time, check everything after each install, you may find a culprit, or not. But at least your system is clean and it will work fine.

Kent Beeson
March 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your thoughts...