Have the SxS problems been resolved with Final Cut at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Have the SxS problems been resolved with Final Cut

I'm considering upgrading my FCS to the current version. I recall threads over the summer where people had problems ingesting/importing their footage off the SxS cards into the new Final Cut.

Has this been resolved?

I apologize in advance for not reading through all of the threads. My window to make a decision is narrow. I've had to do a clean install of the OS and need to decide today whether to drop the cash for an upgrade from FC6. I'd rather not install 6, then have to remove it and replace it in a couple of days.

Thank you.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Has this been resolved?
Pretty much. I'm running the latest of everything (until Software Update tells me otherwise) and I have no issues on a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, Don. I neglected to mention what type of mac, but your answer covered both!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Same as Don - NO issue whatsoever ingesting a processing XDCAM EX on FCP 7.x on Macbook or MacPro.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Was there ever a problem with FCP? The only problem I know of was the Snow Leopard SxS driver issue which was easily worked around.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Marcus, maybe I misunderstood the threads for it being a FC problem.

My system went in the toilet unexpectedly so I'm a little scattered !

The Snow Leopard (which I just installed this am) issue was resolved with the latest XDCAM-EX driver, was it not?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Major Player

bob,

when i pop a sxs card into my mbp it renders the laptop express34 port useless and I have to restart. I saw a thread about this in "final cut suite" section... but have not heard of a patch yet. I am running snow leopard on my mbp and sl seems to be the issue. If there is a fix i have not found it yet.

awaiting a fix

greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Major Player

bob,

when i pop a sxs card into my mbp it renders the laptop express34 port useless and I have to restart. I saw a thread about this in "final cut suite" section... but have not heard of a patch yet. I am running snow leopard on my mbp and sl seems to be the issue. If there is a fix i have not found it yet.

awaiting a fix

greg

p.s. are are you guys with "no problems" running sl?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

Gregg,

Make sure you have the latest everything including SxS driver.

I have been using 10.6.2 for a couple months now on MBP and MP's no problems at all after Sony's latest updates.

Link:

Sony of Canada E-support

You need all this installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Have the SxS problems been resolved with Final Cut-screen-shot-2010-03-02-4.06.13-pm.png  
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Marcus, maybe I misunderstood the threads for it being a FC problem.

My system went in the toilet unexpectedly so I'm a little scattered !

The Snow Leopard (which I just installed this am) issue was resolved with the latest XDCAM-EX driver, was it not?
Yes, it was. And to be honest it was never that much of an issue. It was annoying for sure but it didn't stop anyway from working as far as I'm aware.

It does raise the point that you should be careful with any production system before an upgrade. I only upgraded my main machine to Snow Leopard 3 weeks ago whereas the laptop has been on it for a long time now.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Olof

I seem to have every component except the SxS one you show - how/where do I get that one and do I need it as XDcam seems to work without it...Here's my list...and I just downloaded the SxS driver from your link above and installed it but still no SxS driver shows in my list - what to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Have the SxS problems been resolved with Final Cut-screen-shot-2010-03-02-3.24.59-pm.png  

Last edited by Kent Beeson; March 2nd, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Major Player

up and running... no more probs

so I went to the sony canada site and downloaded the sxs driver download as part of the fix that olof suggested and that seemed to resolve my problem with mbp, sl, and fcp7.

Thanks guys
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Major Player

I've tried to download it twice and it seemed to install, but it never shows in my XDcam transfer component window - thoughts?
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #14
Sponsor: Westside AV

Kent,

Are things working OK or are you having problems?

If you are having problems, start by repairing permissions and run DiscWarrior. Then try the reinstall. Sometimes it helps to create a new user account and log in under the new account to do the install, user prefs etc can become corrupt.

If everything works, don't worry about it.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Major Player

Well, no, I cannot use FCP 7 to import any files shot on EX1R at 24p...I can import 30p, but any and all clips at 24p make FCP 7 crash, even when I scroll in the browser, the thumbnails of the 24p shots make FCP crash.

I have to use XDcam transfer, cannot use FCP 7. So I thought maybe if I could get this SxS component all would be fine - but strangely when I install the SxS driver, it says it installed it but I can't find where nor does it show in the component list...

Thoughts?
K
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds