View Full Version : Firmware, ISO and Neutral Density Power

Ben Denham
April 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I was recently out in morning and afternoon sunlight shooting my first 25p project and wanted to try a few things. Firstly, inspired by the Zacuto Shootout I wanted to dial in an "optimal" ISO. So rather than 100 I went for 160. Secondly I wanted to stick with a 180 degree shutter speed (1/50 sec). These two things combined meant that, when compared to 1/60 sec/100 ISO setting, I had around a stop of extra light. With that extra light I found that the 8 stops of ND that I had wasn't enough to get me down to the apertures I was wanting.

Is anyone else finding that they need to go beyond 8 stops of ND? If so what are you using to get there?

James Jeon
April 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
you can stack multiple nd filters if needed. Havent tested to see how many you can stack before it starts to cuase vignetting but I have stacked 2 nd filters to block upto 9 stops without issues.

Brian Kennedy
April 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
FWIW, whether it vignettes depends on the lens. In general, the longer the focal length, the less likely it is to vignette. The really wide lenses have image circles that just barely cover the sensor, especially wide open.

Ben Denham
April 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Yes I get vignetting at the 24mm end of my 24-70 zoom even with one ND filter, (particularly if it isn't screwed on all the way).

Christian Ionescu
April 12th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Yes I get vignetting at the 24mm end of my 24-70 zoom even with one ND filter, (particularly if it isn't screwed on all the way).

Go to your camera menu, first tab and enable Peripheral Illumination Correction. It works for most of Canon lenses.

God bless us all!
Christian.

Ben Denham
April 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Christian, thanks for your tip. I'll give it a try.

Bill Binder
April 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Go to your camera menu, first tab and enable Peripheral Illumination Correction. It works for most of Canon lenses.

God bless us all!
Christian.

Pretty sure that's not going to help with vignetting occurring due to a filter, that just corrects for the lens itself.

James Jeon
April 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
There aren't any vignetting on any of my shots with b+w nd filters.
Tested them on 24-105, 24, 85, 50 canon lenses.

I did notice slight vignetting when using fader ND shooting wide open.