Firmware, ISO and Neutral Density Power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firmware, ISO and Neutral Density Power

I was recently out in morning and afternoon sunlight shooting my first 25p project and wanted to try a few things. Firstly, inspired by the Zacuto Shootout I wanted to dial in an "optimal" ISO. So rather than 100 I went for 160. Secondly I wanted to stick with a 180 degree shutter speed (1/50 sec). These two things combined meant that, when compared to 1/60 sec/100 ISO setting, I had around a stop of extra light. With that extra light I found that the 8 stops of ND that I had wasn't enough to get me down to the apertures I was wanting.

Is anyone else finding that they need to go beyond 8 stops of ND? If so what are you using to get there?
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
New Boot

you can stack multiple nd filters if needed. Havent tested to see how many you can stack before it starts to cuase vignetting but I have stacked 2 nd filters to block upto 9 stops without issues.
James Jeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

FWIW, whether it vignettes depends on the lens. In general, the longer the focal length, the less likely it is to vignette. The really wide lenses have image circles that just barely cover the sensor, especially wide open.
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes I get vignetting at the 24mm end of my 24-70 zoom even with one ND filter, (particularly if it isn't screwed on all the way).
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Is title really necessary when replying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Denham View Post
Yes I get vignetting at the 24mm end of my 24-70 zoom even with one ND filter, (particularly if it isn't screwed on all the way).

Go to your camera menu, first tab and enable Peripheral Illumination Correction. It works for most of Canon lenses.

God bless us all!
Christian.
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

it seems kind of irrelevant doesn't it...

Christian, thanks for your tip. I'll give it a try.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu View Post
Go to your camera menu, first tab and enable Peripheral Illumination Correction. It works for most of Canon lenses.

God bless us all!
Christian.
Pretty sure that's not going to help with vignetting occurring due to a filter, that just corrects for the lens itself.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8
New Boot

There aren't any vignetting on any of my shots with b+w nd filters.
Tested them on 24-105, 24, 85, 50 canon lenses.

I did notice slight vignetting when using fader ND shooting wide open.
James Jeon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD