View Full Version : Best HD camera bang for the buck??

Nick Lloyd
April 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone, and my apologies if this thread is in the wrong section, but..

I've just got some tax money back and have sold my old GL2 and a bunch of accessories.. I now have about $2500 to spend, and I want to get the best HD camera(s) I can for the loot. I plan to not only shoot short films and music videos, but also wedding videography and commercials.

I was almost entirely sold on a 5D mark II or possibly a 7D, but I came to the realization that those cameras, awesome as they are, aren't real great for weddings (the 12 minute video clips, possible overheating, zoom/focus would be trickier, would have to buy a separate audio recorder).

So I'm left with the option of camcorders. My idea was that for the money I have, I should be able to get a Panasonic HMC40 and potentially also a Panasonic HDC-HS300 as a second camera. I've been pouring over the specs and reviews for both cameras and feel I have a pretty decent understanding of their shortcomings (poor low light, etc) but that is where I'm at.

Would love to get a HMC150 for the controls as well as CCD over CMOS, but finding one for $2500 hasn't happened.

So I'm asking everyone out there.. Does my plan to get these two cameras sound good for the money, especially in the light that I aim to start doing weddings seriously? I'd still need a wireless lav, but that wouldn't be too big a problem.

If any of you have a better idea or camera choice for the money, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Guy McLoughlin
April 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Honestly, I would wait until you can afford the HMC150, as you are close to the price of buying one new. ( the current price at B&H Photo Video is $3,279, you have to add it to your cart to see this price )

One of the key requirements for a wedding camera is the ability to shoot in poor light, which the HMC150 handles quite well. ( DSLRs are better, but then you have the whole problem of 12 minute takes, rolling shutter effects, cameras overheating, limited zoom range, etc... )